Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone already posted this screenshot but when I first went to use the new maps/navigation I saw this screen which I hadn’t seen before.

That's really fascinating. So Tesla is now doing fleet crowdsourced traffic info from its own cars to influence traffic aware routing. Sounds like a good approach to me, hope it works well for them!

So are the maps not part of the update? They get pushed separately?

I’m on .12 now. Sure will get .14 in next couple of days.

Correct, the maps are a separate download from the firmware. There's no feedback that the maps are downloading and once they're available, you'll get only an in-car notification telling you about the new maps.

Right, I was under the impression that 12 OR 14 is the base for the new maps. I assume this new crowdsourced Nav is the same, and not part of 14, right? We get 12 or higher and sometime later we get the maps. And then that enables the new Nav?

Model 3 Owners is implying this is part of 2018.14... so, what’s the real deal.

• Love
Reactions: Meng
Right, I was under the impression that 12 OR 14 is the base for the new maps. I assume this new crowdsourced Nav is the same, and not part of 14, right? We get 12 or higher and sometime later we get the maps. And then that enables the new Nav?

Model 3 Owners is implying this is part of 2018.14... so, what’s the real deal.

I would assume the receive side of the nav (e.g. getting a traffic aware route from the Tesla cloud) is working on .12 as long as you have the new maps.

But the consent agreement makes me believe that the crowdsourcing part (e.g. your car reporting its speed to the cloud) is only enabled in .14, and that will likely lead to even better directions in the future.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I would assume the receive side of the nav (e.g. getting a traffic aware route from the Tesla cloud) is working on .12 as long as you have the new maps.

But the consent agreement makes me believe that the crowdsourcing part (e.g. your car reporting its speed to the cloud) is only enabled in .14, and that will likely lead to even better directions in the future.
Interesting... they better get with rolling out the maps, then, if there’s a part 2 in the routing. :D

I can confirm that 2018.12 with maps download does not have the note about crowdsourced traffic. I'm a Feb 2018 build (old MCU). Got 2018.12 at the SC, and woke up to the maps update notification the morning after I got it home and on wifi. Double checked again just now and I have no reference to crowdsourced traffic. Just the original beta navigation language from the map update.

Just got 2018.14 on a new MCU MS. Haven’t noticed much difference quite yet.

Attachments

• A75E3EE2-38D9-4483-9D01-62409694F271.jpeg
    A75E3EE2-38D9-4483-9D01-62409694F271.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Just a heads up - it looks like any of the Tesla optimized browser sites that use geo location tracking may crash your MCU upon first time use. A few of you mentioned this with Tesla Waze, and I've confirmed the exact same behavior with abetterrouteplanner and TezLab. It happens right after you click 'Allow' on the 'The site xxx would like to use your current location.' In each instance, the screen locked up completely - follow by an automatic MCU reboot. However, after the reboot - everything seems to work fine.

This happened all three times with the sites mentioned above upon first page visit/load.

Just a heads up - it looks like any of the Tesla optimized browser sites that use geo location tracking may crash your MCU upon first time use. A few of you mentioned this with Tesla Waze, and I've confirmed the exact same behavior with abetterrouteplanner and TezLab. It happens right after you click 'Allow' on the 'The site xxx would like to use your current location.' In each instance, the screen locked up completely - follow by an automatic MCU reboot. However, after the reboot - everything seems to work fine.

This happened all three times with the sites mentioned above upon first page visit/load.

I can confirm this as well. MCU restarted the first time I loaded Tesla Waze, but worked fine after the restart.

Otherwise, it's a very nice improvement in speed for the whole UI on my old MCU.