Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also installation seemed like it stalled.
This message was on screen for a long time with no apparent activity.
And the close button did not do anything.
The car was reachable by the aperture to the old firmware version.
Then I left it alone for a long time and came back and all was good.
So if you see the screen don’t panic
View attachment 296552
Had you alteady gotten the ‘update conplete’ notification on the app? I was wondering if this this was part of the ‘in progress’ stuff we shouldn’t see or something new!

Hmmm... mobile connector firmware flashing. Maybe that is why our newest Model S (March 2018) seems to have hickups when paired with an older HPWC which works just fine with an older Model S. Something tells me they are modifying with charging protocol and I sure hope they don't break backwards compatibility, or on some future update the new car may no longer charge from older chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
View attachment 296552
That's normal. It can sit there looking hung for ages (20 minutes or more).

Has anyone seen the Mobile connector update happen yet? Does it work with Gen1, Gen2, both? Does it work with HPWC Gen1, Gen2? We don't use the Mobile Connectors in the trunks much, so it would be nice to know whether they should be plugged in for an update and when.

Reactions: boaterva
Has anyone seen the Mobile connector update happen yet? Does it work with Gen1, Gen2, both? Does it work with HPWC Gen1, Gen2? We don't use the Mobile Connectors in the trunks much, so it would be nice to know whether they should be plugged in for an update and when.
This is a good question. I’ve never plugged in my UMC since testing it the day i got my car and wouldn’t do so until we went to the beach this summer!

View attachment 296552
Mine did that as well but the close button worked. The update itself took about 20 minutes.

can anyone confirm if there were improvements made to the audio? specifically the premium audio?

That's my question as well. I'd certainly appreciate folks' thoughts on changes (if any) to the premium audio's sound with this update. Also, I'll be getting the update this evening but not sure if it's 2018.14 or 2018.16 (is there a way to easily tell, when you get the notice? I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't bother reading closely).

Thanks to everyone for these informative threads and posts, and to Bruce for maintaining sanity on here.

Stereo sound is the same in my car after the update. I have the Premium package. But it already sounded amazing. It was significantly superior to the 2017 model S I had tested. So I’m not sure mine has much to improve upon.
Agreed. My MCU2 MS100D with Immersive Sound is amazing compared to previous 2017 MS

Reactions: f3honda4me
Stereo sound is the same in my car after the update. I have the Premium package. But it already sounded amazing. It was significantly superior to the 2017 model S I had tested. So I’m not sure mine has much to improve upon.

Thanks for the response. For me, I have MCU1 (missed MCU2 by just a couple days or less...grrrrr....). For the first day or two, my sound was outstanding. Then I got an update (2018.10, i think) and the sound was noticeably worse no matter what I tried. Then I got 2018.12 and it sounded better, with some EQ tweaking, but still not as good as original. So, I'm hoping that one of the newer updates (2018.14 or 2018.16) will get my sound back to the level I had for just a brief time when I picked up the car.

Note that earlier this month, I contacted customer support and received an email back that included this statement:
"We are currently aware of the update affecting the EQ levels. We are looking to patch this up very soon so that we can bring that amazing sound back to the vehicle. We appreciate your patience...{etc.}"
Note that my request/complaint was not specific to the EQ level issue (they had changed the EQ scales from 12 to 8), but rather the quality of sound generally. So, I remain hopeful that they'll get the sound back to 'amazing' in my car. Fingers crossed that whichever update I get tonight (.14 or .16) will get this done!