Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the update, my S wouldn’t charge. Said there was a fault in the power adaptor. Unplugged it from the car a few times, still failed. I unplugged it from the wall and replugged it in and it seems to work now.

Odd, hopefully it was just a glitch.
Same here. See My Post #14 in this thread for details. My theory is that the firmware on the GEN2 UMC was updating causing the error messages. The release notes mentioned that a message would appear in the IC. I missed that and was looking for it on the 17” screen. Did you notice a message on the IC indicating that it was updating the UMC?

From the explanation of the process it sounds like the info of the UMC updating is only present while it happens, so unless you happen to be there right after the cars update finishes you won't see it.
My UMC has a reset button, did anyone try that when g the UMC suddenly acts up? (European here, use my UMC daily)

We're having nearly an identical issue. I often can't hear or understand my wife on bluetooth, but she says its clear on her end. It will drop the call at times. Overall, it's very challenging to even have a quick conversation.
Happens to me all the time, not car related.
"Are you still out with the boys? You should be home!"
"What are you saying? BRRRRZZZT! You're breaking up! Can't hear you!?"
;)

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva
Got new Maps yesterday morning, and got 2018.16 last night. On my drive this morning I noticed no differences whatsoever. I had no issues with my UMC stopping charging, also had no notification of any updates performed on the UMC.

2017 Model S 75D AP 2.5, MCU1.

From the explanation of the process it sounds like the info of the UMC updating is only present while it happens, so unless you happen to be there right after the cars update finishes you won't see it.
My UMC has a reset button, did anyone try that when g the UMC suddenly acts up? (European here, use my UMC daily)
I just dropped my car off at the SC (unrelated)
They were unaware of a firmware update for the UMC. He said he would look at the release notes and test the UMC an make sure it is up to date.
Picking it up this afternoon. I will post any info I receive here later.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
This is great. Thank you! Let’s not yet cry disappointment. Few questions:

1. Anyone with MCU1 get this yet?

2. Any improvements to browser and/or navigation over 14.2?

3. Any AP2/2.5 improvements not reported in release notes??

I have MCU1 and just got this update. Jumped directly from 2018.12 to 2018.16. Will check on browser and report back. I had noticed a lag after the map update. This update seems to have made that better. No mention of AP on this update.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Question for you all: I think my car is downloading maps and/or new firmware update (downloaded 6.5 GB of data over a cheap 2G AT&T WiFi hotspot I installed to get "WIFi" in our apartment garage over the last few days) -- but now I have a "hiccup" in the MCU that requires me to reboot the car.

Would rebooting the car interrupt whatever the car has been downloading and force it to have to restart the download, or would whatever is happening simply resume after the reboot?

Thanks!

Question for you all: I think my car is downloading maps and/or new firmware update (downloaded 6.5 GB of data over a cheap 2G AT&T WiFi hotspot I installed to get "WIFi" in our apartment garage over the last few days) -- but now I have a "hiccup" in the MCU that requires me to reboot the car.

Would rebooting the car interrupt whatever the car has been downloading and force it to have to restart the download, or would whatever is happening simply resume after the reboot?

Thanks!

If it's truly the map update, it will resume the download. Firmware updates appear to re-download.

Note too that I have had a few cases where streaming radio goes beserk and just downloads a song over and over again. It's made me excited thinking there's a firmware update when there's really not.

Thanks!

In order of priority, MCU reboot is higher so you can drive :) Another thing, I'm really a bit curious on how/when this map data update pops up. Example - Where I park @ work, there is no internet since I park 2 levels below the basement. Yet, when I came back to the car last evening, I had a message that Map data is ready. So my point is that the data may update you still may not see the pop for the map until it fully 'unzips' and is installed on the car. I'd just reboot and let the car what it does to automatically resume the map downloads.

• Love
Lol, and then there's those of us on 12 (for a month) with no maps, and have been on wifi almost 100% of the time. The algorithm is unfathomable....

Its geographic. You'll get it soon. I was one of the first to get 2018.12 and I thought maps would come quickly but they just came yesterday (downloaded the day before). Tesla geographically discriminates in rollouts. They did with with AP2.0 when it first rolled out and I'm sure they'll do it with FSD if it ever shows its face.

Its geographic. You'll get it soon. I was one of the first to get 2018.12 and I thought maps would come quickly but they just came yesterday (downloaded the day before). Tesla geographically discriminates in rollouts. They did with with AP2.0 when it first rolled out and I'm sure they'll do it with FSD if it ever shows its face.
Ditto. 2018.12 fist day. Still on it. Just got maps yesterday.

Wonder where they get location info: from car’s GPS or Tesla-registered address on Tesla.com. If the latter, we should all change our addresses to one in Fremont CA!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and croman
Wonder where they get location info: from car’s GPS or Tesla-registered address on Tesla.com. If the latter, we should all change our addresses to one in Fremont CA!!!!

Who knows? I'm guessing where you get the vehicle serviced has a lot to do with it. When I call the national number for help they always know I go to one service center rather than the one that could be construed closer to me (but is in the City and takes longer to actually get to).

Tesla has so much info on us, but none of it places me in Cali....

I just dropped my car off at the SC (unrelated)
They were unaware of a firmware update for the UMC. He said he would look at the release notes and test the UMC an make sure it is up to date.
Picking it up this afternoon. I will post any info I receive here later.
Not much to report...
Notes from invoice:

-Tested and inspected customer's charge cable: Tested with a shop cable at 40 amps without issue.
-
Technicians performed functionality test of vehicle charge port cable. Verified proper operation of Universal Mobile Connector cable.

I was on .12, waiting for .14 then .16. brought in to SC for warranty repair and asked if they could push the latest update. just picked up the car and the MCU feels a lot more responsive. in addition, it seems to have taken the lid of the LTE speed.

html5test was 174 on the .12 and is now 301 on .16
fast.com capped around 4Mbps and i'm seeing as high as 15Mbps now.

very happy.

Reactions: Daniellane
Lol, and then there's those of us on 12 (for a month) with no maps, and have been on wifi almost 100% of the time. The algorithm is unfathomable....

I agree, same situation here. My wife finally got the maps on her X the other day, and we both got 2018.16 the other night. Both cars on WiFi every day, mine almost all day some days and still no maps for me on my S.

So I got 18.12 March 29. Still no updates. However, for the past 12 or so days have seen much higher traffic from Tesla and AWS servers. A few days ago over 1.5 hours got about 3GB but still nothing. The higher than normal traffic continues.

tcpdump shows as much going back from the car as it received at times, over and over and...

Edit: on WiFi 24/7