Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like we've all jumped from following 14.2 to following this thread (2018.16). The 14.2 thread has become dormant. It's had no postings in the last 28 hours.
So, if you don't mind I'll ask my children's 14.2 question here: "Dad, if we now have open source maps, why does the map still say Google on the bottom right?" Beats me#%$??? Has someone already given us some details about the new vector maps?

So, if you don't mind I'll ask my children's 14.2 question here: "Dad, if we now have open source maps, why does the map still say Google on the bottom right?" Beats me#%$??? Has someone already given us some details about the new vector maps?

The open source maps are only used on the IC for navigation. The maps on the center display have always been Google based. (And I think the vector versions, which haven't been delivered yet, are even Google based.) I.e. two completely separate systems.

• Informative
Reactions: TK16688
Looks like we've all jumped from following 14.2 to following this thread (2018.16). The 14.2 thread has become dormant. It's had no postings in the last 28 hours.

Note that they're not really open source either. MapBox is a commercial product and that seems to contribute significantly to what powers the new Tesla maps. Of course they still use Google Maps for visual appearance.

... in addition, it seems to have taken the lid of the LTE speed.

html5test was 174 on the .12 and is now 301 on .16
fast.com capped around 4Mbps and i'm seeing as high as 15Mbps now.

Do realize that this doesn't necessarily mean Tesla had some LTE limit in place that they now removed. A very slow browser will negatively affect all sorts of browser based speed tests. If the browser is too slow to process the data it will show bad results. Still it is good news that it is now so much faster!

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Do realize that this doesn't necessarily mean Tesla had some LTE limit in place that they now removed. A very slow browser will negatively affect all sorts of browser based speed tests. If the browser is too slow to process the data it will show bad results. Still it is good news that it is now so much faster!

Yeah, didn’t mean to imply that it was a software limitation that was restricting speed. MCU/browser speed up could plausibly enable faster download speeds. Yes, whatever the reason, happy to have a faster MCU.

Reactions: SeBsZ
Others have mentioned this, but somewhere along the line (cannot say for sure it is 2018.16) the equalizer has stopped working for me, I can change the settings to anything and the sound does not change much if at all.

Well, this is the ‘current’ firmware thread, for better or worse. :D And things are still weird. My ‘schedule’ of getting the ‘normal’ releases Thursday night (which worked all this year and broke with broken 14) is still broken, no 16 today. And, of course, no maps still, as we’ve been saying.

That geographical thread with pins with who has the new maps looks more and more interesting. You’d think after an actual month, everything (maps and nav) would be done with whatever testing was going on and we’d all have it.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The open source maps are only used on the IC for navigation. The maps on the center display have always been Google based. (And I think the vector versions, which haven't been delivered yet, are even Google based.) I.e. two completely separate systems.

Vector version of the maps is there and can be enabled, it just crashes constantly (every 15 min or so) at least for me.

Well, this is the ‘current’ firmware thread, for better or worse. :D And things are still weird. My ‘schedule’ of getting the ‘normal’ releases Thursday night (which worked all this year and broke with broken 14) is still broken, no 16 today. And, of course, no maps still, as we’ve been saying.

FYI: I was getting regular Thursday nite releases too. But the last was March 30 when 2018.12 showed up. No maps either. :(

Luckily the car is still drivable. :p

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
2018 MX100D MCU2 v8.1 2018.16 eac88a7

A couple observations about 2018.16.

Observation #1
HomeLink stopped proximity triggering RF signal to garage door opener (arrival or departure). RF single can be triggered manually (i.e. "skip function", but otherwise proximity countdown shows up "on-time" ... counts down to "0 location", does nothing and starts counting up if I keep rolling past garage. Reset geo-location with car inside garage - still no good. Summary, RF frequency is good and can be trigger manually, proximity detection and geo-location is good, but Auto-open/close not functioning properly (yes, options are selected in NAV).

Observation #2 (SW Dev. not my forte, so apologizes in advance.)

Previous FW 2018.12 had WiFi connectivity issues. WiFi would not initialize, and (i) button posts msg.: "MAC Address: not availible".

2018.14.* corrected this, or at least enabled WiFi initalization (did not look for (i)= error msg.)

2018.16 Initialized WiFi properly, but (i) is posting "MAC Address: not available" msg.
As I understand it a MAC address is required of all connected devices. So, surely this must be a code glitch << but >> when I look at my Router I can't find a "device" I can attribute to being my MX << but >> my MX did accept WiFi credentials, appeared to connect and shows a signal strenght.

20180427_111343.jpg

Summary #2: MX says it's connected to WiFi (without a MAC address?), but can not verify this at the Router.

Thoughts anyone?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
2018 MX100D MCU2 v8.1 2018.16 eac88a7

A couple observations about 2018.16.

Observation #1
HomeLink stopped proximity triggering RF signal to garage door opener (arrival or departure). RF single can be triggered manually (i.e. "skip function", but otherwise proximity countdown shows up "on-time" ... counts down to "0 location", does nothing and starts counting up if I keep rolling past garage. Reset geo-location with car inside garage - still no good. Summary, RF frequency is good and can be trigger manually, proximity detection and geo-location is good, but Auto-open/close not functioning properly (yes, options are selected in NAV).

Observation #2 (SW Dev. not my forte, so apologizes in advance.)

Previous FW 2018.12 had WiFi connectivity issues. WiFi would not initialize, and (i) button posts msg.: "MAC Address: not availible".

2018.14.* corrected this, or at least enabled WiFi initalization (did not look for (i)= error msg.)

2018.16 Initialized WiFi properly, but (i) is posting "MAC Address: not available" msg.
As I understand it a MAC address is required of all connected devices. So, surely this must be a code glitch << but >> when I look at my Router I can't find a "device" I can attribute to being my MX << but >> my MX did accept WiFi credentials, appeared to connect and shows a signal strenght.

View attachment 297193
Summary #2: MX says it's connected to WiFi (without a MAC address?), but can not verify this at the Router.

Thoughts anyone?
This sounds like an MCU2 issue (another one....). I don't know what we can suggest.. can you reboot it on 2018.16? Was that finally fixed?

2018.16 may also not be 'wide open' for some reason... ev-fw sure isn't showing any large numbers:

View attachment 297221

It's a little better on TeslaFi, but hard to say since there it goes by current status and not who got it when:

View attachment 297222

I think this is still not the big roll out. Perhaps a 2018.16.x is in our future....