Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a couple of observations;

There is no separate "Hifi-Firmware".

Tesla does not do regression testing. QA seems to be the biggest weakness at the company.

We should somewhere start a bug tracker of newly introduced bugs, as this seems to be getting more frequent. Like they introduced the front sensor bug in 2017.42 and took almost 6 months to finally fix.

Now, my observation regarding .16, coming from .12;
Why TF did it take 6 years and the phase out of the hardware to finally optimize the MCU to work somewhat snappy!? OMG what a difference! The interface overall is significantly faster, data transfer speed has increased significantly. Measuring through fast.com, I used to get around 8MBit on good LTE, now I'm seeing 16-18 MBit even on a single bar. Result; my Wifi repeater in the garage is going out, as it results only in about 6-8 MBit thanks to architectural challenges.
And it's not just the browser, the lower latency and better connection speed is especially noticable when using voice control.

Reactions: daktari and Bebop
I’ve actually found the Tesla voice control to be amazing in virtually every iteration of the software. I’ve been continually amazed at the accuracy of the system, particularly in light of the constant frustration my wife and I have experienced in almost every other car’s voice recognition system. In those other systems the recognition has been so bad, that after the frustration would wear off, they actually drove us into fits of hysteria with the crazy interpretation of what we said.

The only exception was the Hyundai Sonata PHEV we had owned that used Google search. That too was almost always spot-on.

Reactions: PrGrPa and croman
So I’m still wondering if it’s safe to assume that the lack of a heated steering wheel is a universal to 2018.16.
Seems like we have many confirmations of heated steering wheel is not working in multiple hardware configuration’s (MCU & MCU2)
Is there anyone out there at all but still has a functioning heated steering wheel on 2018.16?
Is anybody else noticing that the heated seat on three is barely warm? I checked in my range mode is off.

So I’m still wondering if it’s safe to assume that the lack of a heated steering wheel is a universal to 2018.16.
Seems like we have many confirmations of heated steering wheel is not working in multiple hardware configuration’s (MCU & MCU2)
Is there anyone out there at all but still has a functioning heated steering wheel on 2018.16?
Is anybody else noticing that the heated seat on three is barely warm? I checked in my range mode is off.
I met a guy earlier this morning who has AP 2.5 Model X and he said he had an appointment for a "non heating steering wheel as of 14.16", Apparently the Dallas SC as of (yesterday?) didn't even know about the bug.. Needless to say, I pointed him here.

Heated Steering.jpg

Heated steering wheel definitely inoperative on 2018 MCU2 car with update

I’ve actually found the Tesla voice control to be amazing in virtually every iteration of the software. I’ve been continually amazed at the accuracy of the system, particularly in light of the constant frustration my wife and I have experienced in almost every other car’s voice recognition system

My understanding is that Tesla uses Google's cloud voice recognition service.

Same issue! MX 2.5, March 2018 delivery. Heated seats at 3 desk feel like 1?
Never had issue with my MS. And heated steering intermittent. Works at times and then seems to lose it completely or provide half the heat. SC checked it and said heat is within specs. BS. My Ms at 3 used to burn my arse lol.

Definitely related to 2018.16. Have two X's and an S. Applied update to two cars on Wednesday in Nebraska and noted lack of heated steering wheel on both of them -- with cold weather. So, here in AZ I drove the X one time before the update in 90 degree weather and had plenty of heat in the steering wheel. Applied the update that evening and next day it was only a little warm at the top. Absolutely no question, IMO.

So there are a few problems with this update. Perhaps better not to upgrade this one?
I think 2018.16 enables the ability to update the mobile charger if there is a new mobile charger firmware, which I haven’t see any. So, if you don’t have problem as of now, and live in a cold climate and need the heated steering wheel, I would suggest you keep your current version until 2018.16.1 or something comes out. I live in Texas, so I’m fine with not having heated steering wheel since it’s in the 80s lately.