Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like 18.2 is rolling to the left over folks on 12 and 10 now, who had been excluded from the 14-18 ramp. This would suggest Tesla is confident on stability of 18.2 and no longer need a hold out group for comparison.

The % of cars on 12 was steady at 20% for weeks but am now down from 20% this morning to 16% now per teslafi

I am doing 12->18.2(likely) now

Reactions: Snerruc and jlund
I was kind of holding out for the big one 18.20 :p

Another 18.12 upgradee.
Quick notes after two short drives.
Definitely noticed the improved browser speed and responsiveness.
My sound seems to be back and the equalizer goes to 12 again.
Too early to say for sure but I had two situations on the way home that AP seemed to handle better. A truck making a turn a ways ahead of me and another truck with trailer pulling out in front of me. In both cases I was expecting hard braking but both times it slowed down in a much more controlled manner. Didn't notice any other AP differences.

Looks like 18.2 is rolling to the left over folks on 12 and 10 now, who had been excluded from the 14-18 ramp. This would suggest Tesla is confident on stability of 18.2 and no longer need a hold out group for comparison.

The % of cars on 12 was steady at 20% for weeks but am now down from 20% this morning to 16% now per teslafi

I am doing 12->18.2(likely) now

They also seem to be keeping people on .18 who already have it. Very very few .18 -> 18.2 updates (likely only service center visits).

Honestly other than MCU1 being more responsive and the maps being a bit smoother, there's no huge differences for me either between 2018.12 and 2018.18. Everything else I'm noticing could easily be placebo effect. The MCU performance change is the only thing that feels absolutely concrete.

And for me, that's not super exciting. It functioned before, it functions now. It's still no blazing fast MCU2.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
After months at 2018.12, I finally got the update today to 2018.18.2. Honestly cannot tell any difference.

Um, I don't mean to pick on you but the first reports of 2018.12 were less than two months ago. I know time goes slower when you're waiting for an update... :D

Bruce.

Just got updated from 12->18.2
Browser now actually useful, sites allow 1 sec gps update. Major improvement

MCU1 and big screen map more responsive. This is a big deal and it mitigates one of he biggest issue of this car being a sluggish touch screen. It isn’t 60fps smooth, but no longer horribly slow.

Good job and thank you Tesla!

Got the update this morning (from 2018.12), previously there is a strange spot on a highway, AP will suddenly limit the speed to 45mph (kind of dangerous), now seems to be solved, some new map data are still wrong, the IC shows a 60mph sign but the highway has been 70mph for years. Hope it fixes the frequent MCU reboot but only time will tell.

Forgot to say the problem - the second hand now only draws every 2 to 5 seconds rather than clearly every second like in the older versions (2018.12 and before)

Well, today I went from 2018.12 to 2018.18.2 and, while some things are more responsive, the browser is noticeably slower, at least for my web page that has a clock on it.

My personal one is just like this with some options to show various traffic cameras along my commute.

Clock - For Tesla Browser

Um, I don't mean to pick on you but the first reports of 2018.12 were less than two months ago. I know time goes slower when you're waiting for an update... :D

Bruce.

Not sure I care about the "first reports of 2018.12" or how long since they occurred. I've been on 2018.12 since I bought my car so this is all I know. I could care less about "first reports" and really only care about my own experiences. How are you somehow smarter about my individual situation than I am ???

The speed limit errors through Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota were so numerous as to be in the majority for long stretches of travel.

From Lusk, WY to Custer, SD the prevailing limit is 70. Showed up as 65. Which means that with AS engaged, travel is at the speed limit rather than at 5mph over. Which means more tailgating. Which means more risk.

Easily a dozen errors through Utah.

It’s one thing when Pacific Coast Highway has errors. It’s quite another for much of a 3 hour leg from Rawlins, WY to Lusk, WY.

If this was AP1, sure, once in a great while a big truck will obstruct camera reaction to a new speed zone. But that is far preferable to this malaise.

*.18.2*eee 1.5 years later and this functionality is STILL VERY BROKEN in practical use both in town and on the road.

Supercharger techs and mobile techs/rangers are on the road a *lot*. Is it that all of them drive AP1 cars by choice or lot, or have they not been engaged to report every error they encounter? If not, then why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: S100D
The speed limit errors through Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota were so numerous as to be in the majority for long stretches of travel.

From Lusk, WY to Custer, SD the prevailing limit is 70. Showed up as 65. Which means that with AS engaged, travel is at the speed limit rather than at 5mph over. Which means more tailgating. Which means more risk.

Easily a dozen errors through Utah.

It’s one thing when Pacific Coast Highway has errors. It’s quite another for much of a 3 hour leg from Rawlins, WY to Lusk, WY.

If this was AP1, sure, once in a great while a big truck will obstruct camera reaction to a new speed zone. But that is far preferable to this malaise.

*.18.2*eee 1.5 years later and this functionality is STILL VERY BROKEN in practical use both in town and on the road.

Supercharger techs and mobile techs/rangers are on the road a *lot*. Is that all of them drive AP1 cars by choice or lot, or have they not been engaged to report every error they encounter? If not, then why not?
I had many random drops to 45 mph today and it's really getting annoying. With all the impressive lane keeping I'm noticing on AP2, including some wicked good lane keeping on roads with curbs ready to kill rims.... I can't fathom why we haven't shifted to the speed limit sign reading like AP1. I have to tweet elon.... I want answers!

Not sure I care about the "first reports of 2018.12" or how long since they occurred. I've been on 2018.12 since I bought my car so this is all I know. I could care less about "first reports" and really only care about my own experiences. How are you somehow smarter about my individual situation than I am ???

You know if you really only care about your own experiences, you're not going to get a lot of value out of TMC. One of the strengths of being in this community is that you get to benefit from other people's knowledge, wisdom, and yes experiences. This is especially valuable because we owners have to find out a lot about these wonderful cars on our own. Tesla doesn't tell us everything it could, and some of us would even say everything that it should.

According to your sig, you took delivery of your SP100D in February 2018. You might not know this, but people here have decoded the version numbers of Tesla software. Each version number has two or three components (e.g. 2018.18.2). The first is the year of the release. The second is the number of the week within that year. If there is a third component, it's a bug-fix release based on the corresponding two-component version (e.g. 2018.18). So 2018.12 was released, according to this model, in the twelfth week of the year 2018, which would put it in late March. Indeed, the first time anyone saw this release and reported it on TMC was in late March. It's impossible according to this model that has held true for at least a year and a half (and dozens of software releases) for you to have gotten 2018.12 on a car in February 2018. Is it possible you might somehow have gotten a software update, maybe at a service center visit in late March or early April? Are you sure about the version number that was on your car when you took delivery?

Yes it's conceivable the model is wrong. But I think it'd require some concrete evidence to overturn it.

My intelligence has nothing to do with this, and you don't have to take my word either. I'm pointing out the collective wisdom and opinion of a number of people on TMC.

Bruce.

I had many random drops to 45 mph today and it's really getting annoying. With all the impressive lane keeping I'm noticing on AP2, including some wicked good lane keeping on roads with curbs ready to kill rims.... I can't fathom why we haven't shifted to the speed limit sign reading like AP1. I have to tweet elon.... I want answers!

Good luck! Hey, he might just respond to you.

With sufficient Tesla personnel on the road now, often traveling the same SC to SC routes that we do, it’s both surprising and disturbing that at least *those* routes aren’t 100% spot on.

Or maybe Elon will reference an upcoming release even though 18.2 and 18.3 are proliferating.

You know if you really only care about your own experiences, you're not going to get a lot of value out of TMC. One of the strengths of being in this community is that you get to benefit from other people's knowledge, wisdom, and yes experiences. This is especially valuable because we owners have to find out a lot about these wonderful cars on our own. Tesla doesn't tell us everything it could, and some of us would even say everything that it should.

According to your sig, you took delivery of your SP100D in February 2018. You might not know this, but people here have decoded the version numbers of Tesla software. Each version number has two or three components (e.g. 2018.18.2). The first is the year of the release. The second is the number of the week within that year. If there is a third component, it's a bug-fix release based on the corresponding two-component version (e.g. 2018.18). So 2018.12 was released, according to this model, in the twelfth week of the year 2018, which would put it in late March. Indeed, the first time anyone saw this release and reported it on TMC was in late March. It's impossible according to this model that has held true for at least a year and a half (and dozens of software releases) for you to have gotten 2018.12 on a car in February 2018. Is it possible you might somehow have gotten a software update, maybe at a service center visit in late March or early April? Are you sure about the version number that was on your car when you took delivery?

Yes it's conceivable the model is wrong. But I think it'd require some concrete evidence to overturn it.

My intelligence has nothing to do with this, and you don't have to take my word either. I'm pointing out the collective wisdom and opinion of a number of people on TMC.

Bruce.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here... perhaps you clarify your response? You've posted numerous paragraphs of content that have nothing to do with my very simple OP.. congats......

Amazing how smart you think you are and how are stupid you think I am. You say that according to my sig, I state the I took "delivery" of my SP100D in Feb of 2018 while my sig states clearly "BUILD" in Feb of 2018. You then call me a liar and say that's "It's impossible according to this model that has held true for at least a year and a half (and dozens of software releases) for you to have gotten 2018.12 on a car in February 2018. How can a year and a half occur on a Feb 2018 car occur in May of 18? Duh?? This car was built only 3 months ago, I've only owned it for 45 days. You insult us all with your "wisdom". I'll post a scan of my window sticker in seconds after you admit you are way off base here.
Dude... Relax. The only one who used the word liar was yourself.
Bruce pointed out a disparity between the established software versioning and his understanding of when you received your vehicle.
How is 45 days ”months"? You are certainly aware "months" is the multitude of "a month", which is a minimum of 28 and a maximum of 31 days. You'd need at least 56 days to speak of months.
So you were wrong to claim "months". Either way, you made a wrong statement. Bruce simply pointed that out, in a very objective way.

Upgraded from .18 to .18.2 yesterday. Sound seems better, but bass response still feels overly frequency depended (as in too narrow).

Also, Spotify (user premium account) is pretty much not working anymore, the library row displays an eternal loading circle. Logging out and back in as well as MCU reboots don't seem to work to fix it anymore. The only way as of now using Spotify from the phone with the car set as payback device which is very inconvenient.
My theory is that this might be caused by the speedup of the MCU, causing timeouts/timing conflicts with the returned info by the Spotify API, as ie search results often show "search unavailable"/"no results", but upon hitting the search button in the search overlay once or twice in quick succession, the results will load.
This also works with any playlist not in the users personal library. As the personal library does not have a reload if loading fails-button, it unfortunately doesn't work there.

Speaking of Spotify, does anyone have an idea as to what the grey Spotify logo on the right signifies? I've noticed it turn black previously, but there seems to be no info on what it says.

Last edited: