Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to do it, but I can't figure out how to do it!
Any help?
Thank you.
You most likely (at the time) didn't have 'enough' posts. It varies, but having ten (or maybe twelve!) will make the option(s) appear. When I first joined, there was some confusion about this, and I never figured out why you have to have 'experience' to have information in your posts. :D

Hope you've had the few extra posts to make it work, else you can do a few here, as others have:

Trouble adding a profile picture.

Reactions: f205v
So, on a 'serious' note, 2018.18.2 is still acting weird. Nothing much going on this weekend after a lot happening the end of last week. If it were really still rolling out, I would have expected a lot to happen over the weekend. I still conjecture it will die and we get 2018.20 [since, following the algorithm, May 13th is week 20, and we usually get releases the week after their 'number'].

upload_2018-5-20_14-38-1.png

upload_2018-5-20_14-39-27.png

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
So, on a 'serious' note, 2018.18.2 is still acting weird. Nothing much going on this weekend after a lot happening the end of last week. If it were really still rolling out, I would have expected a lot to happen over the weekend. I still conjecture it will die and we get 2018.20 [since, following the algorithm, May 13th is week 20, and we usually get releases the week after their 'number'].

View attachment 302503

View attachment 302504

The isolated 18.2 updates in the last couple of days were probably pushed several days ago and they just got installed later by the users.

The isolated 18.2 updates in the last couple of days were probably pushed several days ago and they just got installed later by the users.
Exactly. That is a drawback to the system, we see 'updates after the software is installed', not 'release to the field'. And, in the case of ev-fw, that could even be a manual (shudder) update by the user. :D

So much for consistency of statistics!

Did a 300 mile drive today with 2018.18.2 coming from 2018.12 (Aug 2017 / AP2 / MCU1) I found the AP nags to be reduced compared to the previous version given the way I hold the wheel when on AP on the highway. Could be purely coincidental.

Otherwise, found AP to be fine on the highway, no longer drunk wandering during stop and go traffic, and a snappier MCU. (We got the new maps shortly after getting .12) Overall concur with the other sentiments in this thread.

Hi. I'm a newbie and wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with 2018.18.2.

I've a 2017 Model S 100D with AP2. I came to 18.2 from 2018.16 and 2018.10 before that. My experience concerns lane change on Autopilot.

On .10 lane change was not great. It was a bit of a lurch, and would often leave me sitting in the outside lane with the indicator on, steadfastly refusing to go where I wanted it to. 2018.16 improved things a little, but 18.2 was a revelation. It's so smooth, and when I did a couple of trips on the Motorway, lane changing was nearly faultless.

However, I did a 200 mile round trip today and found a major problem with lane change. In places where it had previously worked - if slightly awkwardly - with 18.2 it wouldn't work at all. On the Motorway it was great. The problem seems to be on dual carriageway A roads where it worked for a short period each way on the journey and then gave up.

After a while puzzling over it I noticed that AP couldn't tell I was on a dual carriageway. The screen showed the lane I was in, and the car followed it very well. But the other lane, shown by a dimmer graphic, was missing.

When I tried to change lanes it just sat there. The only way I could move across was by turning the wheel, which disconnected Autosteer, though not TACC. The first time I did it the car panicked an gave me control back. But from then on it seemed quite content to play the game without any complaints. It just wouldn't change lanes.

I don't know whether this is a bug, somehow connected with the mapping system or has some other cause.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?

I don't know whether this is a bug, somehow connected with the mapping system or has some other cause.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?
This is intentional. It depends on the amount of detail they have on their maps internally. If they don't recognise 2 or more lanes in the GPS data, it will not offer you lane change and you have to do it manually. Having said that, it IS annoying. Furthermore, if you turn manually immediately after disabling autosteer it will often give you the "take over immediately" warning, thinking you are drifting out of your lane.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Furthermore, if you turn manually immediately after disabling autosteer it will often give you the "take over immediately" warning, thinking you are drifting out of your lane.

I'm seeing Tesla service for the third time regarding this. I keep telling them I believe it's a bug and should not happen, yet they keep telling me it is fine and nothing is wrong with my car. How can I convince them that this is a bug and needs fixing, hopefully in a future version?

Hi Conman

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Am I right in assuming then that, since the car knew there were two lanes to play with on these roads previously, the maps have regressed along with 18.2?
It is a distinct possibility. However there are occasions where the GPS goes haywire and doesn't know where you are specifically. Usually this is associated with the autopilot also being limited in maximum speed as well though. A reboot often fixes it.

I'm seeing Tesla service for the third time regarding this. I keep telling them I believe it's a bug and should not happen, yet they keep telling me it is fine and nothing is wrong with my car. How can I convince them that this is a bug and needs fixing, hopefully in a future version?
While I agree with you in principle, calling the software development quirks by Tesla's autopilot a "bug" is not going to get you anywhere I'm afraid. The vagaries of how autopilot behaves are done by the development team at Tesla and the service centre not only has zero ability to do anything about it, I doubt very much they even have any way to give this information to the autopilot team in a useful fashion since the AP team is likely overwhelmed by reports from all over the place.

Yes I want it to be a lot better, but unfortunately I can already see this one falls into the "annoying quirks of living with an eternally beta feature." It may even not be beta one day, and still have the same quirk. It's there for a reason, not everyone gets affected by it equally. Me, I get affected almost every manual lane change because I turn the indicator stalk and then turn the steering wheel immediately to disengage autosteer and change lanes smoothly linearly after that which is exactly what triggers it.

"It's not a bug it's a feature" also is "one man's bug is another man's feature." Alas to you and me, and likely many others, this one IS a bug.

Believe me, there are SO many quirks of autopilot/autosteer that I would do differently, but there's nothing more we can do about it except continuously feed back however we can, be it via this forum or random tweetbacks to Elon in the hope it's the one in a million he responds to or whatever. To that end, that's why I also created a "GOOD IDEAS" thread.

The "GOOD IDEAS" thread

Reactions: SeBsZ and croman
This is intentional. It depends on the amount of detail they have on their maps internally. If they don't recognise 2 or more lanes in the GPS data, it will not offer you lane change and you have to do it manually. Having said that, it IS annoying. Furthermore, if you turn manually immediately after disabling autosteer it will often give you the "take over immediately" warning, thinking you are drifting out of your lane.

I've also found that auto lane-change is not available on certain UK dual carriageways. I suspected it was map related. But I don't have the issue with the "take over immediately" warning. I can just steer into the next lane to override AS and TACC remains on. Then I can re-activate AS in the new lane. It is annoying though with all the bing-bongs and music volume suppression every time I have to change lane! It's so much better when auto-lane change is available.

Reactions: daktari
Yeah, and, pick a fight with a moderator... wait, while I get my popcorn.... :rolleyes:

Haha. Now just catching up on various threads, because I was doing my favorite thing with my Tesla this weekend...taking it for a road trip! I'll just reply to this post at random...

Folks, as much as I appreciate the support and kudos (and I *do*, thank you all), it's got nothing to do with 2018.18.2. Let's move on. :)

It'll be interesting to see how 2018.18.2 continues to roll out (or will it?) because it's almost time for that fabled 2018.20 "fix everything" release.

Bruce.

I updated to 18.2 on Friday, from 2018.12, and autopilot seems like a big regression. About 30% of our lane changes today we’re failures: when changing to the left lane, it would bail out 2/3 of the way through and try to jerk back to the right lane. Super disruptive and not a passenger pleaser.

I also didn’t previously notice its aggresive lane splitting. On I-90 in eastern washington, the car kept trying to move over and split the distance whenever the lane widened to accommodate an entrance onto the freeway. But it was just a few seconds late that it noticed it squeezing back to normal width,and it would adjust back. Annoying...

I took my first long drive (200 miles) with 2018.18.2 and had it do the phantom breaking twice. Anyone else have this happening? One thing that did impress me was that it was raining heavily and the wipers were doing great automatically and the AP was doing very well in the limited visibility. Another note is that with a lot of rain the road and the car hydroplaned a couple of times on AP. It didn't do anything unexpected and handled it but I was a little worried about what AP would do. I was ready to take over just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: conman
I'm on 2018.18 (not 18.2), and have had the phantom breaking a couple times over the last week. I don't think I had ever had it previously (purchased S75D in mid-March this year). It certainly jolts me back into hyper-awareness!

I took my first long drive (200 miles) with 2018.18.2 and had it do the phantom braking twice. Anyone else have this happening? One thing that did impress me was that it was raining heavily and the wipers were doing great automatically and the AP was doing very well in the limited visibility. Another note is that with a lot of rain the road and the car hydroplaned a couple of times on AP. It didn't do anything unexpected and handled it but I was a little worried about what AP would do. I was ready to take over just in case.
I think you're right, I've seen more phantom braking with this one than I've seen in a while. It seems reactionary to the recent death to intensify the safety side of things but with more false positives though could be sheer coincidence. On the other hand, it's been a while since I last had the car not see upcoming stopped cars so that's a definite improvement... though sometimes it is waaaaay too late for my liking with heavy braking - but I let it go just to see how much it's improved and am always on the ready to slam on the brakes myself. The progress is definitely there.

I still don't get enough wiping when the rain is light or intermittent though. There's always far too much rain left on the screen before it finally wipes.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Hbrink and croman
You most likely (at the time) didn't have 'enough' posts. It varies, but having ten (or maybe twelve!) will make the option(s) appear. When I first joined, there was some confusion about this, and I never figured out why you have to have 'experience' to have information in your posts. :D

Hope you've had the few extra posts to make it work, else you can do a few here, as others have:

Trouble adding a profile picture.
THANK YOU!

Reactions: boaterva