Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did it change your range estimation from rated to ideal in settings?

I did not check ideal settings. I am planning a trip to Avon Colorado on Friday and I checked Navigation and when I arrive in Cisco TX it showed that I have 15% battery left. This should be accurate.

I sent an e-mail to the Assistant Service Manager in Austin and made him aware of the problem; I asked him to send me 2018.18.2. As long as the Nav system is accurate I should not run out of battery because of the higher inaccurate available miles on the IC. I have never had this issue with prior firmware releases.

I did not check ideal settings. I am planning a trip to Avon Colorado on Friday and I checked Navigation and when I arrive in Cisco TX it showed that I have 15% battery left. This should be accurate.

I sent an e-mail to the Assistant Service Manager in Austin and made him aware of the problem; I asked him to send me 2018.18.2. As long as the Nav system is accurate I should not run out of battery because of the higher inaccurate available miles on the IC. I have never had this issue with prior firmware releases.

Chillaban, I went to the SC today and found out what happened, which is what you suggested. The 2018.18 firmware change my setting from Rated to Ideal. I never use Ideal so something in the car changed it. I now know to check that setting if it ever happens again.

Chillaban, I went to the SC today and found out what happened, which is what you suggested. The 2018.18 firmware change my setting from Rated to Ideal. I never use Ideal so something in the car changed it. I now know to check that setting if it ever happens again.
Just a lucky guess -- we've seen this happen on some cars, where applying an update mysteriously changes some settings. Especially if you have Autopilot, watch out for Auto Lane Change getting disabled after an update too! And your equalizer settings for sound.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
2018 X100D MCU2 2018.18

I've been driving around with 2018.18 for about 1.5 weeks and just got back to DFW from a long weekend (and lots of driving) in Houston.

AP took me both ways with no interventions along I-45, "forward looking" (or depth perception) responded deftly to multiple emergent deceleration (85mph - 0mph) from stopped traffic arising abruptly over crested hills. (Within 0 - 2sec of a natural reflex).

However, consider a four lane (split median) highway with widening shoulders for right lane turn/exits, and periodic left turn lanes splitting off creating crossovers. AP had to be disengaged everytime a lefthand turn lane emerged from primary left lane. AP seemed to favor far left side positioning if lane widened, but did not react to vehicles (stopped) in that lane until squarely recognizing lane markings on both side (which made for a very short runway) Needless to say, that was particularly nerve racking since in this case widening right lanes were associated with accelerating and merging traffic (which is no sweat), but widening left lane were associated with deccelerating and stopping traffic. So, if two cars were ahead and traveling in same lane and direction, and the 1st (furthest) committed to left hand turn and began rapid deceleration, the 2nd car (closest, AP is tracking) maintained highway speeds, AP would drift to center of widening left lanes presenting a single lane with two cars side-by-side traveling at different rates of speed. AP seemed to reference 2nd car for highway speed but left-most lane marking for lane position (where cars were stopping).

Alos, observed possible correlation between stuck NAV, silent turn signals and switching in/out of valet mode. My impression was that valet mode took a lot longer to unwind than just keying in code. Softboot did not correct (immediatly), but after park & poweroff everything worked fine. (2 occurances in 4 days).

I also realized I lost user manual (structure/section headings are present but the body of the manual is missing) and release notes (link pops up empty window).

Next, I previously mentioned noticing "air bag turned off" alert more frequently, now I think the sensitivity of pressure sensors in the seats have been turned up (a light weight backpack now registering as a unbuckled passenger.)

Just a lucky guess -- we've seen this happen on some cars, where applying an update mysteriously changes some settings. Especially if you have Autopilot, watch out for Auto Lane Change getting disabled after an update too! And your equalizer settings for sound.

2018.18 was installed on May 11th and the increase in mileage due to the car changing from Rated to Ideal did not happen until the morning of May 15th. I would have checked setting if it had happened just after I installed the update.

The good news with me going to the SC today, I asked them to push 2018.18.2 to my car.

However, consider a four lane (split median) highway with widening shoulders for right lane turn/exits, and periodic left turn lanes splitting off creating crossovers. AP had to be disengaged everytime a lefthand turn lane emerged from primary left lane.

Did the diverging left lane have short dashed lane markers from the start of the new lane, or nothing until after the lane had widened to form a normal lane width?

If it had the (typical?) short dashed markers, AP should have locked on to them and not drifted left I believe. Sans proper lane markers, it's a free for all right now with AP.

Reactions: jimmy_d
FWIW, I have 2018.18 and came barrelling up on a stopped fire truck yesterday. I didn't think the AP was going to stop, but I figured I'd put it to the infamous fire truck test. Just short of when I was about to intervene, the car hit the brakes (pretty hard) and came to a stop at the normal distance behind the fire truck.

You're far more brave than I! I'm deathly afraid of firetrucks now...

146BAAC1-9C66-42C8-8841-643581ED7F51.jpeg
2D8B6BF4-2CAD-46B0-94A5-D96777F25335.jpeg
Has anyone on here got this?
If so please post release notes screen.
Not much of an update, pretty disappointing really

I've had my first phantom breaking again today in a known spot where I didn't have any since about 8 month, before 2017.42. Before that they were frequent, tunnel exit with metal signage along the wall. Super annoying, as it was a hard break from only about 30mph.
18.18 is really no highlight to me.

Same thing happened to me today.

Did the diverging left lane have short dashed lane markers from the start of the new lane, or nothing until after the lane had widened to form a normal lane width?

If it had the (typical?) short dashed markers, AP should have locked on to them and not drifted left I believe. Sans proper lane markers, it's a free for all right now with AP.

Nope. Left lane(s) would widen, extend for a bit, (about 3 car lengths) and then establish solid line dividers separating a new left turn lane (about 4 car lengths) and the native left lane.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
FWIW, I have 2018.18 and came barrelling up on a stopped fire truck yesterday. I didn't think the AP was going to stop, but I figured I'd put it to the infamous fire truck test. Just short of when I was about to intervene, the car hit the brakes (pretty hard) and came to a stop at the normal distance behind the fire truck.

Please do not scare the fire department like that !

Something like that ought only be done when they are aware and expecting it as a controlled test.

Getting hit by a car is a serious job hazard for fire department personnel.

Yeah, please be really really cautious and responsible about using the general public as your guinea pig for Autopilot experiments.

Especially for late-brake ramps, hitting a bump or a bit of gravel could easily set off ABS and dramatically change your braking distance and ability to steer/swerve. If you have any doubts about the stopping margin, either dramatically dial down the set speed or slow down yourself.