Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.20 ad59ff9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's interesting. My WAG is that the willingness to do this would be highly dependent on the service center, as so many things tend to be.

Bruce.
(Still on 2018.16 for some number of weeks and occasionally having random touchscreen reboots.)
I was stuck on 2018.10 for months and filnally decided to call Tesla customer service. They routed my issue to my local service center who then pushed the update to my car the next day. I too received an invoice for this.

I'm on 2018.16 since 5/1 and haven't had a major problem. Guess I'm in the "don't fix it if it isn't broken" club. I'm in no hurry. Guess I haven't been too bothered by the reported problems but still don't have a heated steering wheel.

Interestingly a week or so back i got the "new software" notification on the MCU. I scheduled to install an hour later. An hour and 15 minutes later my wife asked me to pick something up. The MCU said "validating install" but the IC lit up as normal. So I started to drive (and out of WiFi range of course) thinking that was all being done on the car. Almost immediately received a "verify failed" and the update was not applied. I have not been prompted since to update. So don't do that.

That is, until someone says the latest/greatest added something new and useful. Then I would love to get the update asap.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I'm happy with 2018.12 + the new maps - trying to figure out who got what going to 2018.14, 2018.16, 2018.18 and 2018.20. :)

I don't have .20 yet, but I have noticed smoother autopilot in braking and reduced ping ponging. Cell phone connectivity improved and frozen/randomly rebooting mcu also reduced. Biggest change I have recently noticed is that newest revisions will allow you to use Auto Lane change in much thicker traffic.

I've had 12, 14, 14.2, 16 and currently 18.

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX
Got 20 overnight, which was my ‘normal’ pattern back when: It comes out on Wednesday, and got the release overnight to Thursday AM. Had a notification at 0500. Took 45 minutes to load, and I rebooted the MCU right after it told me it was done, as is my new process.

I fiddled with the sound to be sure I had the 12dB +/- sliders (of course) but as has been said, nothing else major. Wonder what will be discovered?

Took 8 weeks to get this one (from 12), and hope it won’t be the same for the next one! :D

Edit: This was a pattern, though, on some small releases earlier where I wouldn’t get them and then I would get the one that was the ‘final’ fully-baked one immediate the next day. So, since I got 20 so quickly after release, perhaps that means this is a full rollout one? We shall see in a few days!

Got .20 yesterday and just happened to notice that the map on the main screen is MUCH smoother. Used to be whenever I made a turn the map on the main center screen was noticeably jerky as it rotated... that is now almost imperceptible and the map rotates almost as smoothly as the navigation display in the IC. I think the previous update I had was .18 and I had gotten the new Nav maps about 3 or 4 weeks ago with the updated, smooth view in the IC... but the main screen map was still its old jerky self back then.

I also want to say that I see a better lane guidance display now when using navigation. I swear it showed arrows before with the new IC map as to what lane you should be in, but now I want to say that it stands out better? Maybe I’m just imaging it... I’ve been out of town for 2 weeks.

Got it last night. Haven't driven yet, but update notes are zzzzz.

IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

I had actually made an appt yesterday to request a firmware update before I even knew that 2018.20 existed. Was getting tired of the MCU rebooting and also had issues with the backup camera that I was hoping an update would fix. They sent me home telling me they'd push the update remotely and it was ready to install by the time I got home. Like Bruce said this is probably service center specific but if you're having reboot issues it's worth a call to see if they can push it.

Only have one drive under the new firmware so will take a week or so to see if the reboot issue has been resolved as I've been averaging 1-2 reboots a week under my previous 2018.12 firmware.
Firmware Update.png

I had actually made an appt yesterday to request a firmware update before I even knew that 2018.20 existed. Was getting tired of the MCU rebooting and also had issues with the backup camera that I was hoping an update would fix. They sent me home telling me they'd push the update remotely and it was ready to install by the time I got home. Like Bruce said this is probably service center specific but if you're having reboot issues it's worth a call to see if they can push it.

Only have one drive under the new firmware so will take a week or so to see if the reboot issue has been resolved as I've been averaging 1-2 reboots a week under my previous 2018.12 firmware.
View attachment 303456

Before my current software update 2018.18, I was averaging 1-2 MCU reboot a DAY. None since 2018.18.

• Informative
Reactions: Fcautela1
Day 2 of road trip on 2018.20 and everything is working great. Reboot of screens seems to be fixed.

-Had 2x per day screen reboot needed before 2018.20 and seems to be fixed wth update. fingers crossed, only day 2, but I have been 800+ miles with almost 100% autonomy.
-The lane switching seems to not pick up the far side lane as quickly as it used to... if I turn off the turn signal to fast it will swerve back into original lane. When watching the display, the far blue line does not register until you are basically in the new lane.

When I began reading this thread of all you people getting the 2018-20 I was getting jealous. I have been stuck on 2018-12 for YEARS! At least it is almost 2 Lunar years. It actually FEELS like years.

Like others have stated, our MS has been having the Reboot issue quite often. Especially when from the day we got it until which ever update caused the reboot problem, it never had an issue. It will be nice to finally get that issue resolved.

I even went out to the car to make sure there was no update waiting for me. Alas, none was to be had. Still stuck on 2018-12. :(

I don't have .20 yet, but I have noticed smoother autopilot in braking and reduced ping ponging. Cell phone connectivity improved and frozen/randomly rebooting mcu also reduced. Biggest change I have recently noticed is that newest revisions will allow you to use Auto Lane change in much thicker traffic.

I've had 12, 14, 14.2, 16 and currently 18.
Maybe they are delivering on the updated braking on the M3 for Consumer Reports