Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried the autopilot on this release today for the first time. There are no nags when I drive it like older releases.

If you experience nags with this release, then either:

a. There is an error in your MCU. Try a reset?

b. You are not holding the steering wheel. Start holding it.

c. You are holding the steering wheel in a 2 handed old-man-style driving, causing no torque. Start holding with 1 hand on one side, or rest the weight of *one* hand but not the other.

d. You are subconsciously helping the AP steer causing no torque. Don't. Let it work, and just rest the weight of the hand.

e. You are wiggling the wheel back and forth to give it attention like a crazy man. It will not register that, probably to prevent uneven roads from being registered as hands on wheel. Remember: Steady torque.

f. You are gripping the steering wheel hard. No need to, there are no gripping sensors installed. Also this strains your hands.

g. You are not applying torque. This is really easy and effortless. Just hold the wheel at 8 o clock with left hand, or 4 o clock with right hand. Don't rest it on your lap, but try pretending you're some Autopilot Buddy and let the weight of your arm torque the wheel. Yes, I know that doing that without AP would turn the wheel and steer you off the road, but that's how you hold it with AP engaged. Not that hard really?

If you see AP getting uncomfortable close to something, then apply the torque in the opposite direction. If AP crosses your boundaries, your torque will exceed the limit and you're back in control. AP is never dangerous, just can be when not using common sense while using it.

Dude, we all say we have to hold the wheel this way but not that, apply just enough steering force but not too much, the really what is the point? Why will someone pay $5000 for autosteer that you also have to kind of steer yourself 100% of the time as the notice state “keep your hands on the wheel at all times”? Would you pay $500 for cruise control in you have to lightly tap the brakes every 15 seconds?

The reality that is implied but not spoken is that auto steer has a promise of “hands free”, and that the reason why I bought it. Note that hands fre don’t mean attention free. Just not hands wiggling wheel every few seconds.

Here, I said it.

That is the fundamental reason why some are upset. The features has promised and implied a capability that was not ready. In the old way of infrequent nags, it can still sort of be fulfilled. Now it is taken away and we collided with reality.

ooh, this one looks exciting!
Does it show motorcycles and trucks as different avatars now?
I see Trucks painted diff than cars (in adj lanes). I sometimes get a flash of a bicyclist - but this is too late, and too infrequent to be a reliable warning. When following a motorcycle, I sometime get a bike avatar, but more often get a car being displayed.
I dont have a rear facing camera, so dont ever expect to see a blind spot warning.

When I have had a Lockout - [was passing a semi and was more concerned about what was outside the car than on the dash - so missed the warnings and got the "red hands"] I was able to keep driving for a long time - just without AP. I had a car full of passengers so did not want to stop, park, and reset - so kept driving for another 30+ minutes. The car dis NOT turn on flashers or otherwise interfere with driving.
I heard that I could do a scroll wheel reboot and restore AP without having to park. I have not found this to be the case. Any solutions?

Sorry, but that's not correct. You have to have notifications enabled for the Tesla app, true, but that won't get you notified of firmware updates unless you also have that notification checked withIN the Tesla app, itself.
Of course you have to have the notifications enabled in the app. That should be obvious to everyone. That wasn’t my point. It was that you see the notifications from the app, which means turning on the iOS settings to make them persistent. Most people don’t know about the other settings for all apps in iOS.

Posted in the separate nags thread (lol) my experiences on a road trip yesterday. Perhaps all this discussion belongs there. :D

As for the reboot after an install, I’ve done that for six months after two upgrades broke charging (it didn’t stop at my set 80%) and another broke something else. Both of those issues were fixed with a reboot. Voodoo all you want, but many feel the same way, a separate reboot after the car is up on the new release does fix things or prevent issues or whatever.

This release still seems like a beta that was rushed out after Elon decreed that they had to get something out ASAP. Version 22 never appeared at all, and this was pushed to so many people, it was definitely some sort of special case to get the nags to everyone so quickly, who cared what else happened.

New topic:

Anyone getting AP ‘double beeps’? I’ve never gotten these before 2018.21.9 and don’t know what the cause was. Got them three times on my road trip yesterday. It was ‘beep-beep’ while in AP, no disengagement, no icons on the screen, no change in behavior, no nothing, It wasn’t phantom braking, no vehicle too close, etc. Really puzzled by this. (Tones were the same, not at all like the AP engage/disengage, of course.)

Reactions: mazeminder
What I love the most about Tesla is paying this much for a car and then have to read several forums regularly to learn how it works, or how it works for some but not for others. Many call Tesla a "rocketship" and for most of us it is as close to a rocketship as we will ever get but on a rocketship, the astronauts are told in the greatest detail how every knob, switch, etc works, and what they will do to affect the flight . If an astronaut ever drives a Tesla they will have to how to learn how to operate it via internet forums, and not from the manufacturer who leaves it up to us to decide if things are working correctly, or even if they are working at all.

Dude, we all say we have to hold the wheel this way but not that, apply just enough steering force but not too much, the really what is the point? Why will someone pay $5000 for autosteer that you also have to kind of steer yourself 100% of the time as the notice state “keep your hands on the wheel at all times”? Would you pay $500 for cruise control in you have to lightly tap the brakes every 15 seconds?

The reality that is implied but not spoken is that auto steer has a promise of “hands free”, and that the reason why I bought it. Note that hands fre don’t mean attention free. Just not hands wiggling wheel every few seconds.

Here, I said it.

That is the fundamental reason why some are upset. The features has promised and implied a capability that was not ready. In the old way of infrequent nags, it can still sort of be fulfilled. Now it is taken away and we collided with reality.
If only everyone with an issue were saying we want "hands free" then there would not be a debate on how to hold the steering wheel. The real debate here seems to be people that say they have "hands on" but still get the nag. And those of us that have "hands on" and no nag are saying either you are not doing it incorrectly or you have a problem with your car. I.E. Reboot/Reset or take it in for service. For the "hands off" folks like you there is really only one option (at this time) is to trick the system to think you have "hands on". But I wonder how many are using the "I have hands on" and still a problem but secretly want "hands off" like you.

Anyone getting AP ‘double beeps’? I’ve never gotten these before 2018.21.9 and don’t know what the cause was. Got them three times on my road trip yesterday. It was ‘beep-beep’ while in AP, no disengagement, no icons on the screen, no change in behavior, no nothing,

I'm getting these beeps when I'm too close to a divider or another obstacle parallel to the driving direction. After/with the beeps, the car usually makes a small correction to move me away from the obstacle.

• Informative
Reactions: jdjeff88

Here, I said it.

If I understand you correctly, you are upset because you have to keep your hand on the wheel. AP has always told you to do that. Since first version. Difference between now and then is that Tesla actually checks that you do.

It will be like that until FSD is certified. Then EAP *might* be hands-off too on highways.

Tbh I don't think it's that hard to have a hand on the wheel. I don't steer, the car does. It's still significantly less exhausting to drive with AP vs without. I'm happy I paid 5k. I also paid 3k for FSD, so total 8k.