Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find AS to be more wild. 2018.12 was the high point so far. I've had it cross double yellows once with this fw. They definitely need to get the exit only lane lust under control.

Cars entering my lane are immediately recognized and braking is finally silky smooth. Overall it's improving but 2 steps forward and one back.

I just took delivery yesterday of an X100D (MCU2, AP2.5) and I'm finding this firmware (2018.21.9) quite buggy.

TL;DR : I rebooted my car and it went into a reboot loop that lasted several minutes. This has happened twice in two days. Has anyone seen this before? Any workaround?

For the complete version:

Just leaving the SC, I din't have any sound coming from the speakers (no music, no navigation instructions, not even blinkers sound).

So I rebooted (while driving) and the car went into a reboot loop that lasted around 3 or 4 minutes. Only the small dash screen would come up after displaying a Tesla logo and it would show an image of the car, no speed indication, and it had a message saying "car off". It would stay like this for about 5 seconds and then it would reboot again and again. The MCU was dead black the whole time. I started pressing the scroll wheel buttons over and over in desperation and I finally got the Tesla logo on the MCU and the car came back to "normal".

This morning I got for work and LTE connectivity was very flaky. It would connect with only one bar and then disconnect again, so streaming wasn't working. I decided to try a reboot again (while driving... again), and this time, the same loop went on for more than 15 minutes! During that time, I had no speed indicator, the estimated range was fixed to the same value it had when I started the reboot, and the car though it was "off", although I was driving on the highway!

The iPhone app also said the car was offline.

It finally came back to life when I was very close to my destination. I kept trying with the scroll buttons. I don't know what caused the loop to stop. I was actually scared to stop somewhere along the road because I feared the car wouldn't actually come back up and it would leave me stranded.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any workaround in case it happens again? I don't think I will be rebooting the car again anytime soon.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I just took delivery yesterday of an X100D (MCU2, AP2.5) and I'm finding this firmware (2018.21.9) quite buggy.

TL;DR : I rebooted my car and it went into a reboot loop that lasted several minutes. This has happened twice in two days. Has anyone seen this before? Any workaround?

For the complete version:

Just leaving the SC, I din't have any sound coming from the speakers (no music, no navigation instructions, not even blinkers sound).

So I rebooted (while driving) and the car went into a reboot loop that lasted around 3 or 4 minutes. Only the small dash screen would come up after displaying a Tesla logo and it would show an image of the car, no speed indication, and it had a message saying "car off". It would stay like this for about 5 seconds and then it would reboot again and again. The MCU was dead black the whole time. I started pressing the scroll wheel buttons over and over in desperation and I finally got the Tesla logo on the MCU and the car came back to "normal".

This morning I got for work and LTE connectivity was very flaky. It would connect with only one bar and then disconnect again, so streaming wasn't working. I decided to try a reboot again (while driving... again), and this time, the same loop went on for more than 15 minutes! During that time, I had no speed indicator, the estimated range was fixed to the same value it had when I started the reboot, and the car though it was "off", although I was driving on the highway!

The iPhone app also said the car was offline.

It finally came back to life when I was very close to my destination. I kept trying with the scroll buttons. I don't know what caused the loop to stop. I was actually scared to stop somewhere along the road because I feared the car wouldn't actually come back up and it would leave me stranded.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? Any workaround in case it happens again? I don't think I will be rebooting the car again anytime soon.

First off, let me congratulation you on your new Tesla! You will have many years of great experiences with this car, (voice of sage advice).
As far as the rebooting, these things are common to a Tesla whenever there are issues with the car.
It is a computer based operating system.
And as in any computer system, it needs to have the memory buffers 'dumped', as a last resort, once in awhile.
Just don't panic and give those roller buttons time to complete each request for a reboot.
If it was just the 17 inch screen that you wanted to reboot, (LTE connectivity) I believe that is a sequence of pressing and holding just the two top buttons. Normally, I don't recommend pressing and rebooting Both, systems at the same time.
If the system seems flakie after you have rebooted it, then give the Service Center a call. It's possible to have a firmware issue that only they can sort out.
As far as the Driver's screen not showing up right away, don't get too concerned, the car will still function just fine, but you will need to watch your speed. All other systems will continue to function, you just won't have the immediate reporting that you should have.
Just remember, rebooting the 17 inch main screen will correct most radio, mapping and WiFI issues. (here it is merely resending an immediate request to seek out the wifi service).
Rebooting the Drivers screen (roller buttons) will help to sort out AP issues and the car's main operating systems.
All in all, you are learning? the way this new type of car controls work and before you know it, it all will be old hat. I do recommend going to:
Articles | TeslaTap
Here you will find answers to many of those questions about how to feed and take care of a Tesla.
Above all, you did the next best thing,, You can ask for advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and P85_DA
So if one does not respond to the nags sufficiently quickly, the Red Hands show up. So far, the only solution I've found to Red Hands is to stop the car, put it in park and open the driver door...then I can continue my trip with AP rebooted.
I was told that I could reboot using the roller buttons to restore AP. I've not been able to restore this way.
Does anyone have a restore-while-driving technique for Red Hands?

So if one does not respond to the nags sufficiently quickly, the Red Hands show up. So far, the only solution I've found to Red Hands is to stop the car, put it in park and open the driver door...then I can continue my trip with AP rebooted.
I was told that I could reboot using the roller buttons to restore AP. I've not been able to restore this way.
Does anyone have a restore-while-driving technique for Red Hands?
I do not think you need to open the door. Just come to a stop and put in park. Then continue.

I think it was a Ranger that said I could do a screen reboot. I dont recall if it was a center screen or driver screen - but I've tried both and still the Red Hands persist. Hoping It is something like - do the left one first, then the other.....

If you do not respond to requests to put some torque on the steering wheel, the red hands will appear and kick you out of AP. You have to stop the car and put it in park before you can reengage the AP. The Ranger was wrong if it told you that you could reengage it after doing a screen reboot.

Keep your hands on the steering wheel and provide a little resistance to the steering wheel movement and you will never have the red hands show up.

Drove 600+ miles round trip on AP with this version and had zero nags or warnings. It's much easier than hands free and react to nag every one to two minutes, which some of us usually did with older versions of AP.

Hold the steering wheel with one hand, palm down with all fingers. If you use right hand, hold about 5 o'clock and apply slight weight towards 6 o'clock. If you use left hand, hold about 7 o'clock and apply slight weight towards 6 o'clock.

You can free your hands from the steering wheel for a short period to drink coffee or whatever, if the traffic situations allow. Then you just go back and hold the wheel.

My two previous cars were Mercs, one was older and would not keep a straight line with a very slow drift to the right on a straight highway which meant I had to hang one hand on the steering wheel to slightly counteract the drift, the other Merc was new and would keep dead straight and would keep lane centered for miles with zero steering input on a straight highway was almost on Autosteer it was so good.

I’m thinking as the Tesla car quality or auto steer softwareimproves and they track very straight there is less microsteering to counteract which might explain why some people get more nags than others as well as the one hand driving approach... it could be that with one hand on the wheel the car is actually steering AGAINST your implied drift but with two hands it just tracks straight

I'm sorry, but you are either wrong or your Tesla is way better than mine. If I keep my hands at 10 and 2 without actively turning the wheel I get the nags. There are plenty of youtube videos that also show this. Maybe Tesla needs to fix all of our steering wheels?

On the other hand (ahem), when you say "With one hand on the side of the wheel, I rarely get any warnings", this I agree with 100%. This is the entire problem: two hands = nag fail, one hand = you must be totally alert, good to go.

My last car before buying in to the Tesla family of cars, 3rd now, was a 2009 BMW ActiveHybrid7L I could rest my arm on the door elbow bolster and have two fingers on the wheel and steer that car with less effort than 2018.21.9 requires to satisfy the new nag that I am holding the wheel. Some of you that claim "we are using AP incorrectly" are completely missing the point. It should not require any more force or resistance to the steering of the car than it actually takes to steer the car without AP engaged. This new update on long hauls of straight and gentle turns on the expressway has completely botched that.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I applied this update a few days ago on an AP1 90D. One weird observed behavior. On a drive up the 405 in LA in the carpool lane traffic came to a stop twice. I was in lane keeping mode. When the traffic resumed moving the ID gave me a massage to press on the accelerator to resume. Since installing lane keeping in December 2015 I have never had to touch the accelerator in lane keeping mode for the car to begin moving forward. This happened twice yesterday, Other times yesterday when traffic came to a stop, the car resumed driving on its own when traffic began moving again. Neither stop that required the accelerator to resume lasted more than a minute. Anyone else have this happen for the first time with this update?
Yes I’ve seen this message too on my X recently.

I believe it has to do with how long the car has been stopped. After a certain amount of time the car wants driver input to resume driving (eg. press the wattpedal). I believe this is because at very slow speeds (traffic jam) there are (almost) no nags to wiggle the wheel. So you could have fallen asleep or something

Reactions: David29
I believe it has to do with how long the car has been stopped. After a certain amount of time the car wants driver input to resume driving (eg. press the wattpedal). I believe this is because at very slow speeds (traffic jam) there are (almost) no nags to wiggle the wheel. So you could have fallen asleep or something
I have also noticed this behavior, and find it annoying. If the car resumes motion 4 times out of 5 or whatever it is, but not on the 5th time, I expect it to and am surprised when it does not move and can hold up folks behind me.
But I can see your point about this being a substitute for the "nags" -- the car may want to be sure you are being attentive. Had not thought of that.

I have also noticed this behavior, and find it annoying. If the car resumes motion 4 times out of 5 or whatever it is, but not on the 5th time, I expect it to and am surprised when it does not move and can hold up folks behind me.
But I can see your point about this being a substitute for the "nags" -- the car may want to be sure you are being attentive. Had not thought of that.

Reasons it won't automatically resume:

Owners guide said:

You have been at a standstill for 5
minutes.

The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.

Model S detects a pedestrian nearby (the
HOLD
state may clear when the
pedestrian is no longer close by).

Model S suddenly loses visibility of the
vehicle you are following.

The ultrasonic sensors detect an obstacle
in front of Model S

* Other bugs and limitations

I never listen to just radio stations...but last week I started too. And I have no metadata for any of the radio stations! Why is that? Streaming in fine, and on my other cars, all the metadata is there...but I just have a blank for the radio stations! I'm on the lastest software, Model S here. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else had a similar issue