Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did a quick test drive on 101 at the Oregon coast & can confirm the visibility of vehicles appearing in adjacent lanes. As the notes indicate, they only showed up when they are in front of me. Actually a bit distracting when a car is passing. Just pops into view. Showing cars along either side in blind spots would be more useful, in my opinion.
Also, noticed that once I pulled into the left turn lane, cars passing by in the right did not appear in the IC.
I won’t be able to test off ramp / interchange feature until I will be doing freeway driving on Sunday.
Same thing with AP1 though. It will be cool once you can see a car or motorcycle in your blind spot. That would be super cool.

Don’t know what everyone here is talking about. Other than the more frequent nags, this was a HUGE improvement in autopilot! Those of you trying it on the highway may think this update didn’t change much but take it on a twisty turny country road and you will be surprised! It Now takes sharp, almost 90 degree turns (as long as it’s set to a reasonable speed such as the speed limit) . It even brakes if needed through the sharp bends. I still keep my hands on the wheel and my foot ready on the brake as I don’t trust it fully, but this is a BIG update in my opinion. Even on the not so sharp turns everything feels much more silky smooth!

Don’t know what everyone here is talking about. Other than the more frequent nags, this was a HUGE improvement in autopilot! Those of you trying it on the highway may think this update didn’t change much but take it on a twisty turny country road and you will be surprised! It Now takes sharp, almost 90 degree turns (as long as it’s set to a reasonable speed such as the speed limit) . It even brakes if needed through the sharp bends. I still keep my hands on the wheel and my foot ready on the brake as I don’t trust it fully, but this is a BIG update in my opinion. Even on the not so sharp turns everything feels much more silky smooth!
What version did you update from? 2018.20? Or something older?

There is no "follow mode" in AP2 like AP1. It appears to be more complicated. Having a lead car does allow AP in areas where there are no lane lines but its not as blindly following as AP1 did with the blue follow mode.

@croman. By follow mode do you mean when the car in front is highlighted blue and there are no blue lines? I have EAP and have seen this several times in cases when I’m in EAP and the car can’t see the lane markers.

There is no grip/squeeze sensor. It detects torque/resistance on the wheel. You should be able to clear the nag with your pinky pushing slightly on one of the steering wheel spokes in a direction to turn the steering wheel.
That's not true. There is a grip sensor, otherwise the "defect the bags with an orange wedged into the wheel" trick wouldn't work.

It detects both, grip and torque (at least in the model S, I think the 3 eliminated the grip sensor)

I'm still on 2018.12 on my AP2.5. Yes, the last version with the prehistorically slow MCU and old unusable browser. Tech support already gave me the sorry we don't push updates Teslasplain.

I've discovered that following six update threads of goodies everyone else is getting isn't good for your mental health. Then again, I don't need therapy, I just need a OTA software update!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
This is the largest rollout in some time with 200 on TeslaFi in two days.

And as for the orange, I had the same ‘discussion’ on YT about this. There is no ‘squeeze’ sensor. None. Anywhere. It’s elementary mechanical engineering (and I am one. :D).

Google ‘moment of inertia’ and torque. The orange is tricking the wheel into thinking your hand is on the wheel.

As for the nags, what I do is hold it to stop the wheel from turning. I don’t ‘jiggle’ it, squeeze, or anything else it. Works every time.

@croman. By follow mode do you mean when the car in front is highlighted blue and there are no blue lines? I have EAP and have seen this several times in cases when I’m in EAP and the car can’t see the lane markers.
I thought I read where this still existed but they had eliminated the blue car signal so now if/when it occurred we have no idea. Not sure if that was legal’s idea or engineering’s. :confused:

• Love
Reactions: Joelgjr

It used to exist with EAP. I've documented it but since 10.4 the cars don't turn blue and follow mode operates differently than AP1. It isn't blindly following. The system uses more contextual information.

I thought I read where this still existed but they had eliminated the blue car signal so now if/when it occurred we have no idea. Not sure if that was legal’s idea or engineering’s. :confused:
I had this happen still last night. I have AP1. It still locks on the car in front if you and turns it blue when the lane lines disappear. Looks like AP2 is still trying to catch up to AP1.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Joelgjr