Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that submitting a bug report could actually precipitate a software update.
I used the “Bug Report” voice command at approximately 2:47PM today while the error was still being displayed on the IC.
I got a software update notification within 30 minutes.
View attachment 307947

Man, if that were the case, I'd be running 2019.50.4 b44fbfe584 already!

Just did a quick test drive on 101 at the Oregon coast & can confirm the visibility of vehicles appearing in adjacent lanes. As the notes indicate, they only showed up when they are in front of me. Actually a bit distracting when a car is passing. Just pops into view. Showing cars along either side in blind spots would be more useful, in my opinion.
Also, noticed that once I pulled into the left turn lane, cars passing by in the right did not appear in the IC.
I won’t be able to test off ramp / interchange feature until I will be doing freeway driving on Sunday.

Cars show ..but I get more nags :oops:

6E6183A0-7195-4CCA-8FB2-C6995C01DEAB.jpeg

As the notes indicate, they only showed up when they are in front of me. Actually a bit distracting when a car is passing. Just pops into view. Showing cars along either side in blind spots would be more useful, in my opinion.
This is mirroring current ap1 behavior, only the front camera is used so once it leaves the camera view, it also disappears from the display. I'd imagine the UI will change for ap2 vehicles once other cameras are used.

Just tried it out. Definitely more nags (ever 30 secs or so), but the nags seem to go away a lot easier when grabbing the wheel. I had to really grip tightly before, but not a light grasp does the trick. Display does show cars adjacent/in front.

On and off ramps does slow down a lot more than before. It seems to handle sweeping 270+ degree on ramps and off ramps a lot better. Ramps that it would freak out on before are now handled with ease. Maybe I'm missing something though...but how often does someone use autopilot in getting on an off ramp though? I have to disengage as I come up to the exit to get off the freeway anyway, why would I want to re-engage just as I am getting off?

I also noticed a lot more warnings as I came up to stoplights without slowing down too much. Now if I consciously have my hands off the wheel and break and don't slow down coming up to stopped cars, it yells at me. Before that was pretty rare.

November 2017 Model S 75D

Maybe I'm missing something though...but how often does someone use autopilot in getting on an off ramp though? I have to disengage as I come up to the exit to get off the freeway anyway, why would I want to re-engage just as I am getting off?
Theoretically E in the EAP means - at some stage - it should be able to negotiate getting off the freeway as well, instead of just getting confused and thinking you're trying to change lanes only.

Reactions: croman
I also noticed a lot more warnings as I came up to stoplights without slowing down too much. Now if I consciously have my hands off the wheel and break and don't slow down coming up to stopped cars, it yells at me. Before that was pretty rare.

November 2017 Model S 75D

I think this likely indicates they’ve now implemented behavior where when it’s unsure about a situation it demands your hands on the wheel rather than just assuming you’re paying attention.

Yes, mine updated today too. Mine also already slowed down as it went around bends on off-ramps and such. I routinely use it on highways so I'll have to see what the difference is like...

Also, it's nice to have the cars showing up in adjacent lanes, like it does on my wife's Tesla Model S with AP1. But I wonder if trucks will start showing up as trucks now (like they already did in my wife's AP1 car)? In AP1 I've seen bicycles, pedestrians, box-trucks and cars in the visualizer, but so far AP2 shows literally everything as a car...

This is a weird release. For reference, I have an AP2 car. I just did my regular work commute out of a combination of boredom and curiosity. I did notice the nags were slightly more prevalent, but they weren't as bad as some people's apparently are, so that's good.

The cars show up in adjacent lanes, but it's not really consistent. I was in the far left lane. The lane to my right was separated by double white lines, and it didn't show any cars in the adjacent lanes. My guess is that it only shows for what could be considered a legal lane change. Seems like an odd decision if so. It was also pretty janky in general (I watched the display show a car slowly slide out of my lane and into the lane to my left). I hope it gets a lot of polish sooner rather than later.

My drive has me changing freeways in a sort of half circle exit (think a pretty wide u-turn), and on 2018.18.2 (and earlier, I believe) my car handled it fine. This release continues to handle it, but the lowering of the set speed limit is a nice touch. I approached at 70mph, it gradually slowed me to 35mph for the turn, but then only increased my speed back to 65mph. It also skipped the normal nags and jumped straight to beeping at me immediately into the curve. That bears further investigation.

It also skipped the nags and jumped straight to beeping at me on a straight, almost empty street as I approached a stop light. It only did it that once, so I sincerely doubt it's the start of stop light detection.

Aside from all that, the usual quirks of the system still exist. It'll follow cars through coned off construction lane changes, but won't do it without the lead car. There's a gentle curve that it still can't manage (it skips staying in my lane and jumps to the right). Speed limits are still wrong in a lot of places.

It's a hint of progress, but not much.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman