Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded from 2018.14.2 to 2018.21.9 over WiFi last night.

I can confirm (unsurprisingly) that speed limit sign reading is not present, and the GPS database is no better.

I can also confirm that autopilot works MUCH better on country roads! There are several curves that 14.2 would not handle, and now it slows down and makes the turn appropriately.

There are still some right hand curves that it runs a little close to the center line.

I give this one a thumbs up, it's a decent incremental improvement.

Ap1 updated. No mention of autopilot enhancement that ap2 owners are seeing. Beginning of the end? IMG_20180609_101155.jpg

Received the update yesterday on AP2 and went from 2018.20. Have to say that I noticing regression in some areas such as phantom braking twice on my 60 mile commute today. Also noticed AP turning into another lane where lane markings were perfectly clear and had to take over to prevent colliding into a semi. Auto parallel parking which has been perfect for me thus far failed today too with the car inching forward into the curb and scraping the underside. These issues never happened in any other firmware updates which have performed well without any regression with biggest update being 10.4. Wish the SC did not update my firmware yesterday when I asked them to just download the maps and navigation.

Received the update yesterday on AP2 and went from 2018.20. Have to say that I noticing regression in some areas such as phantom braking twice on my 60 mile commute today. Also noticed AP turning into another lane where lane markings were perfectly clear and had to take over to prevent colliding into a semi. Auto parallel parking which has been perfect for me thus far failed today too with the car inching forward into the curb and scraping the underside. These issues never happened in any other firmware updates which have performed well without any regression with biggest update being 10.4. Wish the SC did not update my firmware yesterday when I asked them to just download the maps and navigation.
How would they do 'just the maps and navigation'? We've never seen anyone do that. All they did was stage the latest firmware (which was nice of them), and you got 2018.21.9. Maps and Nav comes along when it feels like it. :D

Reactions: MelaniainLA
How would they do 'just the maps and navigation'? We've never seen anyone do that. All they did was stage the latest firmware (which was nice of them), and you got 2018.21.9. Maps and Nav comes along when it feels like it. :D

I told them that I don't have WiFi connection at home to download the maps and navigation so, I made an appointment to have it installed and they were able to download it which took about an hour. I noticed the difference in navigation and maps right away. The 2018.21.9 update was just uploaded for me to have it downloaded later at my own convenience so, it wasn't part of the maps and navigation update. Just something extra that SC decided to do.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Ok,
I did another short test drive on 2018.21.9 with more curves.
My observations on AP 2.5 hardware…
It seems slightly more agile on curves than .2018.20 which was already very very good.
Specifically, it seems able to subtly anticipate maneuvers more like a human. Versus continuous micro adjustments during the curve.
Also noticed less of a pause for a car leaving the roadway turning left in the left turn lane. I almost always need to accelerate to keep it from slowing down too much because it is not able to anticipatea that the path will be clear by the time reaches it.
No acceleration was necessary, the car handled it like a human would.

Forgot to mention that on 2018.21.9 I actually experience fewer nags, However, I usually receive nags because I am not exerting enough resistance with my hands on the wheel.
My hands are almost always resting on the wheel absorbing the warmth of the heated steering wheel which I love on my Model S and really miss when driving our Model 3.
So I would agree with previous observations that it is more sensitive and able to detect a hands on the wheel more easily.

Okay, took some video while driving on 2018.21.9.

The car used to go on offramps and interchanges at full speed or whatever speed limit you set, but it would slow as it entered any tight curves in order to be able to make the turn.

Now the car slows as it's exiting the highway even when there are no curves, making for a much smoother transition off the highway. It's probably using GPS to know when it's on an offramp. GPS isn't always accurate though, and I noticed the car would occasionally slow down temporarily on the highway, probably thinking it was actually on an offramp when it wasn't.

Okay, took some video while driving on 2018.21.9.

The car used to go on offramps and interchanges at full speed or whatever speed limit you set, but it would slow as it entered any tight curves in order to be able to make the turn.

Now the car slows as it's exiting the highway even when there are no curves, making for a much smoother transition off the highway. It's probably using GPS to know when it's on an offramp. GPS isn't always accurate though, and I noticed the car would occasionally slow down temporarily on the highway, probably thinking it was actually on an offramp when it wasn't.
Got error trying to play the video.

I'm still on 2018.12 on my AP2.5. Yes, the last version with the prehistorically slow MCU and old unusable browser. Tech support already gave me the sorry we don't push updates Teslasplain.

I've discovered that following six update threads of goodies everyone else is getting isn't good for your mental health. Then again, I don't need therapy, I just need a OTA software update!

Not sure if posting in this thread is a substitute for a "request button" but just a few hours after going MONTHS in the desert without an update, I got it earlier this morning.

Upgrading from 2018.12 this update is YUGE. Mostly positive, except AP nags are more frequent for me:

00:25 "Hold wheel" text
00:28 Flashing top border
00:40 Beep warning
00:45 2nd Beep
00:50 Louder Beep
1:00 Lockout

I had to drive the rest of the way myself, like our ancestors used to.

Thankful to get updated. Now I have to cancel my counseling appointment....

Not sure if posting in this thread is a substitute for a "request button" but just a few hours after going MONTHS in the desert without an update, I got it earlier this morning.

Upgrading from 2018.12 this update is YUGE. Mostly positive, except AP nags are more frequent for me:

00:25 "Hold wheel" text
00:28 Flashing top border
00:40 Beep warning
00:45 2nd Beep
00:50 Louder Beep
1:00 Lockout

I had to drive the rest of the way myself, like our ancestors used to.

Thankful to get updated. Now I have to cancel my counseling appointment....
You could of just pulled over and put in park to reset and then continue your trip as normal.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I told them that I don't have WiFi connection at home to download the maps and navigation so, I made an appointment to have it installed and they were able to download it which took about an hour. I noticed the difference in navigation and maps right away. The 2018.21.9 update was just uploaded for me to have it downloaded later at my own convenience so, it wasn't part of the maps and navigation update. Just something extra that SC decided to do.
Interesting. Their policy had been a firm "no!!!" To staging nav and maps at the SC.

I'm in the same boat and got nowhere at SC or service. Escalated to Elon himself via email and immediately got it at SC. I urged them to make this a company wide policy for apartment dwellers and it appears they've listened!