Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, @fasteddie7. No appreciable improvement in any respect, but more nags. I don’t think the promised AP1 freeway exits will happen, and if all we get is more restrictions without any improvements, I see no need in downloading any further updates.
Please forgive if slightly off topic, but is there a trick to avoiding installation? The install screen pops up at least every time I am in park. Is the only alternative to hit the x on that screen over and over and over? Ultimately installing becomes less onerous than the increased nag - which is I'm sure what they intend. (note that I do always have a hand on the wheel, elbow on the armrest - but the car hasn't always detected that on a straight road).

(note that I do always have a hand on the wheel, elbow on the armrest - but the car hasn't always detected that on a straight road).

You have seen that a couple of people have said that it is better at detecting light touches and that they are actually getting fewer nags right?

So it sounds like if you have hands off the wheel you are getting more nags, and if you have hands on the wheel you get fewer nags. Which sounds exactly like what they should be doing.

SO... The white car at the end of the offramp was stopped prior to approaching it and the car never saw it move. Have they fixed the issue with slamming into stopped (emergency) vehicles?
Too soon to tell. It didn’t always slam into stopped vehicles either. Below 50mph I’ve had 99% success since 2018.10.12.

Having the car slow down automatically would increase the chances of success.

Separately some claim that nags (including instant escalation to auditory Hold Steering Wheel) have increased in the context of stopped cars being in the field of view.

Please forgive if slightly off topic, but is there a trick to avoiding installation? The install screen pops up at least every time I am in park. Is the only alternative to hit the x on that screen over and over and over? Ultimately installing becomes less onerous than the increased nag - which is I'm sure what they intend. (note that I do always have a hand on the wheel, elbow on the armrest - but the car hasn't always detected that on a straight road).

I think that’s mostly the point. I’m fine with “hand on the wheel,” but as you correctly point out, that’s often not enough on long, straight roads where you don’t add a lot of torque. I think that updates should add something to the driving experience, and the AP1 drivers haven’t seen that on this last update.

Regarding your question, I agree that the only way not to install is to close the install screen every time, which is definitely a pain.

Don't think so, as I never touch the brake when pulling up to people on AP1 and yet still get this hold. It's a word HOLD, that shows up on the screen. I think this one is related to the lack of confidence the car has that the path is clear ahead. As someone else said it may have detected a pedestrian, some object too close to the car, or some such thing.

On another note I just returned from my third 5000 plus mile trip. My brother was driving the car and we tested the nag length, it was 2 minutes 10 seconds. I'm on an older version of software, 2018.16. It took 2 minutes 10 seconds exactly to go to the hold steering wheel text. A few seconds to do the flashing white surround, etc. We never let it go all the way. Tried it three times to make sure it was exactly the same.

Sorry I misunderstood your use case. Yes the word HOLD in blue on AP used to appear as apart of TACC when the car was at a standstill too long, which would prompt the driver to press the accelerator to move forward. Since the advent of AP its not been an issue but does come back from time to time. I'm not 100% on what causes it because it happens at odd times.

Reactions: Markba
I do believe that even if you put it off indefinitely, allegedly there may come a time where an update is considered mandatory and it will force the update whether you want it or not - presumably if there's a safety update in the firmware?

I do believe that even if you put it off indefinitely, allegedly there may come a time where an update is considered mandatory and it will force the update whether you want it or not - presumably if there's a safety update in the firmware?

They definitely have the ability to manually force an update that silently applies for that reason, but so far there’s been few/no cases where that’s happened. That includes certain updates like the last 7.1 update that closed a remote security exploit. So at least to date, they’ve not been evil enough to use that yet.

You have seen that a couple of people have said that it is better at detecting light touches and that they are actually getting fewer nags right?

So it sounds like if you have hands off the wheel you are getting more nags, and if you have hands on the wheel you get fewer nags. Which sounds exactly like what they should be doing.
Yes, I should have explicitly asked, but I was hoping to bring out more anecdotes about the higher sensitivity offsetting the shorter nag interval. Since the install screen is ultimately as annoying as nags, I will install it and report back on whether one factor offsets the other once I try AP within the next couple days (I only use AP - which for me is AP1 - on the interstate).

I told them that I don't have WiFi connection at home to download the maps and navigation so, I made an appointment to have it installed and they were able to download it which took about an hour. I noticed the difference in navigation and maps right away. The 2018.21.9 update was just uploaded for me to have it downloaded later at my own convenience so, it wasn't part of the maps and navigation update. Just something extra that SC decided to do.
Yeah, as was said, first we’ve heard of that even being an option. Cool and good for them and you. Maybe it is a response for people that don’t have access to WiFi. That sort of thing will be more common with 3’s being parked outside since owners’ WiFi rarely reaches from an appt to the car.

Thanks for the update!

Reactions: MelaniainLA

This may be enhanced with 2018.21.9 but I thought I’d seen this with earlier releases. The more it knew you were there the less it nagged.

Some may not have seen this because they didn’t stop the wheel from turning appropriately to trigger the ‘I know you’re there’ sensor. Just an idea. If the car hasn’t nagged, you don’t know that you’ve actually been recognized as ‘holding the wheel’.

Got the update and made a video of the Autopilot visualization as well as the new warning for hold wheel. I tried the off-ramp deceleration but couldn't get it to work and was too afraid to wait longer....

Not sure why they making the cars in adjacent lanes disappear right when they hit your blind spot. That would be blind side warning. Those wifi signal looking visual indicators are not very good indicators when changing lanes.

Completely agreed. Plus, if it’s true that the nags are more frequent if you’re not holding the wheel and the car is approaching a stopped car / intersection, that sounds like a reasonable attention check.

To me, the nag has been less about holding the wheel and more about an attention check. I try to associate looking at my instrument cluster with looking at the road conditions ahead. So if I can’t notice and clear a steering nag within a second or two if it appearing, it is a good indication to me that I probably checked out.

Sometimes I’ll be Waze-gawking at an accident ahead, and when my attention returns to my instrument cluster I suddenly realize it’s in white-borders flashing mode. That’s when I would realize I was doing something dangerous and should try better next time.

If anything I wish they’d further gamify the Autopilot experience in terms of various attention checks like that.

Looks like 2018.21.9 is starting to go wide...
B6630EC5-61A9-49FF-B03E-805312441AD9.png

ADF3C1C7-DE70-4305-A747-83EEF50E8B52.png

• Love