Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my experience too. The car seems more likely to swerve towards side streets when the white line temporarily disappears. 10.4 did the odd twitch of the wheel in these situations, but this release is far worse. Strange as I thought the NN was the same as 10.4.
Agree. I had the car "dive" toward a median. I came from 2018.12 and it was much better on local roads. I see the lines dancing around on clearly marked roads. I do like the more responsive MCU and upgraded sound system :) but autopilot took a step back. Haven't tested yet on Highway.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
2018 S 100D AP2.5, 2018.21.9 installed 06/08, long drive yesterday:

100 miles on twisty high speed rural roads, mostly 2-lane:
a little smoother, more stable than before, but still drives on the yellow lines on some high speed decreasing radius curves
Still too close to the yellow lines on 2-lane roads - must pay attention for oncoming Bubba drifting into your lane
Don't think it possible for any AP to work well in these circumstances: closing speed of 150 mph, oncoming trailer wheel in your lane, equipment in the pickup bed hanging out over your lane, oncoming drifters into your lane.
Must pick your spots on two lane roads - TACC is fine, but Autosteer is out of its sweet spot.

300 miles on I-10, West Texas:
This is Autosteer's sweet spot - smooth, predictable, a pleasure.
More nags than before, but ok.
Semis appear as two separate cars when you pass them.

Concern: cruising along happily at 83, light traffic, car suddenly changed max speed from 83 to 75 and slowed down unexpectedly.
First occurrence west of Ozona (?), second occurrence was near mile marker 206, approaching an overpass.

Mild complaint: chimes when activating or deactivating Autosteer are too loud - disturbs the passengers.
Tesla: please change from chimes to steering wheel jiggle. Passengers do not need to know of the change.

2018 S 100D AP2.5, 2018.21.9 installed 06/08, long drive yesterday:

100 miles on twisty high speed rural roads, mostly 2-lane:
a little smoother, more stable than before, but still drives on the yellow lines on some high speed decreasing radius curves
Still too close to the yellow lines on 2-lane roads - must pay attention for oncoming Bubba drifting into your lane
Don't think it possible for any AP to work well in these circumstances: closing speed of 150 mph, oncoming trailer wheel in your lane, equipment in the pickup bed hanging out over your lane, oncoming drifters into your lane.
Must pick your spots on two lane roads - TACC is fine, but Autosteer is out of its sweet spot.

300 miles on I-10, West Texas:
This is Autosteer's sweet spot - smooth, predictable, a pleasure.
More nags than before, but ok.
Semis appear as two separate cars when you pass them.

Concern: cruising along happily at 83, light traffic, car suddenly changed max speed from 83 to 75 and slowed down unexpectedly.
First occurrence west of Ozona (?), second occurrence was near mile marker 206, approaching an overpass.

Mild complaint: chimes when activating or deactivating Autosteer are too loud - disturbs the passengers.
Tesla: please change from chimes to steering wheel jiggle. Passengers do not need to know of the change.
I don’t think autosteer will do more then 10mph over the speed limit. So if 65 was the limit the max it goes is 75. That happens to me all the time.

Hi just took the MS (mid2017) with this load out and it took some time to calibrate (you basically have to turn autopilot on and. Off a bit and drive some miles with it on for it to selttle down . The first 5miles it was jumpy and definitely having issues .then it settled down to .12.4 quality which has been working fine for me . The off ramp thing is still jump but I’ll give it a go on my Monday commute which has several inter change and off ramp setting. Yes they turned on the adjacent car tracking. That was being suppressed to some users (I like it) . The tracking matches to what the cameras on the side can see up to just across from the b pillar I’ll take it out for a longer drive today

I second that. It seems like this alert is designed for the passengers and not for the driver who is activating/deactivating AP.

I saw this over my morning coffee, checked the router and my S100D had downloaded 1.3G last night. Went and checked the car and the update was waiting. Oddly, my Tesla app did not give me an alert that the update was available---I had to go to the car to see and start it.
Same here. I have my notifications as persistent from the telsa app and I can't remember the last time I got an update notification. Allways find it when I get in the car.

Reactions: mattreidy
Never understood why this was an audible indicator.
I disagree. The audible indicator is necessary to alert the driver that the AP is no longer controlling the car. You are assuming that it will only happen when the driver disengages it, but it can happen for a variety of different reasons, including a malfunction. It's possible your hands are not on the steering wheel at that moment and would then miss a steering wheel vibration completely. It is a huge safety issue to NOT know that AP has disengaged. That is why aircraft autopilots ALWAYS give an audible warning when they disengage.

Yesterday, after updating to this version, I took my car (X75D-AP2) for a test drive on a highway. Drove it for about an hour on AP. I got zero nag. But my hand was always on the wheel. Previously, I have received the visual alerts while holding the wheel, not this time. I’m guessing they have increased the sensitivity.

Just wondering why my experience is so different. However, it’s a short drive, on a clear sky and very smooth highway.

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth and EinSV
I disagree. The audible indicator is necessary to alert the driver that the AP is no longer controlling the car. You are assuming that it will only happen when the driver disengages it, but it can happen for a variety of different reasons, including a malfunction. It's possible your hands are not on the steering wheel at that moment and would then miss a steering wheel vibration completely. It is a huge safety issue to NOT know that AP has disengaged. That is why aircraft autopilots ALWAYS give an audible warning when they disengage.
Fully agree with this statement - removing the audible indication needs to stay.
What is the point of having a steering wheel jiggle if the driver isn't holding the wheel at the time - thats the whole point of audible alerts.
Also as others have reported - if you're not holding the wheel you get more alerts than before, if you're only holding the wheel lightly you get fewer alerts than before. Seems like hand detection sensitivity has increased while nag delay has decreased - both good things.

That’s a good point to ‘wake up’ the driver. Gotcha.