Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for bringing sanity to this thread.

Probably not going to be a popular point of view. But, what’s wrong with keeping your hands on the wheel at all times. Autopilot in its present form is not intended for use without your hands on the wheel.
To be upset that you are being reminded that you are abusing and misusing this feature seems a bit ridiculous to me. People used to complain about seat belt reminders as well. I’m sure many lives have been spared and will be spared by increased nagging. In the case of autosteer, it may not just be the driver’s life that is saved.
This excerpt from the owner’s manual couldn’t be more clear:
View attachment 308503

I don’t think autosteer will do more then 10mph over the speed limit. So if 65 was the limit the max it goes is 75.

On 2018.20 yesterday you could - ask the Michigan State Police officer who stopped me for doing 85 in a 70 on US-23 north of Flint.

Got 2018.21.9 last night - I"ll try to verify the above.

But today on the 3-lane Ohio Turnpike it did very well except...when in the #1 lane, with the #2 empty, but the #3 is occupied even a little bit - trying to change lanes to the right will get about 15% over to #2 and then jerk back to #1. It's as if it thought #2 was occupied. Happened twice.

And happening three times was the "take over immediately" warning without AP even engaged. Cruise was on but not AP. Although I think AP had been on very recently but I disengaged in one case as I approached the EZPass.

MS100D, AP2.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
first drive after update did notice more frequent nagging but for me a gigantic problem .... ater first lower edge nag, used to get full surround lit warning new behavior is only top edge lit BUT i’m 5’5” and top edge of steering wheel completely blocks this warning. first two times didn’t see it at all until warning bell.this is potential problem need at least edges lit so all heights/ steering wheel heights are not disadvantaged

Woke up to the update this morning and took a fairly short trip out to lunch and shopping this afternoon. My two cents and quick notes.

I agree with those who say the nagging is overblown. It did not nag me once with my normal one hand or one finger driving, not once. I did let go just to trigger the nag and it actually took a while and when it did finally kick in it was less obnoxious then before flashing the top and eventually audible alerts. So I don't get all the complaints, I guess everyone drives around with their hands off the wheel. If anything I thought it was more sensitive to my touch and I also noticed it took less torque to take it out of AP.

It also did an auto lane change on a divided highway where I'm fairly certain it didn't work before. I'm on this particular highway quite a bit so I think it was new. Tried it successfully both directions.

My passenger also commented that the deceleration is smoother when coming up behind slower/stopped traffic ahead. Yes I'm seeing vehicles being displayed in the adjacent lanes but to me that is more of a distraction then then anything else. I can already see them, give me something useful like blind spot detection.

Fairly short outing but I didn't note any regression.

Off topic.
I’ve been having great difficulty navigating, uploading & posting to TMC.
Is it just me, or is the site having intermittent outages?

Not you. TMC has been flaky for a while now intermittently.

Including trying to post this right after typing it! Site was not reachable...

Edit: first post after site came back dropped the quoted text. Added here.

Last edited:
Probably not going to be a popular point of view. But, what’s wrong with keeping your hands on the wheel at all times. Autopilot in its present form is not intended for use without your hands on the wheel.
To be upset that you are being reminded that you are abusing and misusing this feature seems a bit ridiculous to me. People used to complain about seat belt reminders as well. I’m sure many lives have been spared and will be spared by increased nagging. In the case of autosteer, it may not just be the driver’s life that is saved.
This excerpt from the owner’s manual couldn’t be more clear:
View attachment 308503

Because many of is *DO* keep our hands on the wheel, but are applying even torque, due to 30+ years of driving regular cars, where applying uneven torque would run you into a ditch. I regularly get nags with both hands on the wheel.

I'm looking forward to trying out this version to see of hand detection has improved, because at least until this version, it was horribly flawed.

83CBCCBB-0479-4D2F-87BE-0262D73EB4A3.jpeg
CAF7FF4B-2B0B-4637-B6E1-BACFB439600A.jpeg

So here is some data. My usual hand positions that frequently cause a nag no longer do even with the lightest touch.

Again, you're telling us to change our driving style to something unnatural compared to what we've done for 30 years. That's all our complaint is: some of us DO keep both hands on the steering wheel as the manual stipulates and it still does NOT register us being there. Now if the comments about it being more sensitive this release are true then hopefully it'll magically detect us that use both hands but don't apply continuous torque away from a straight line. An actual touch sensor in the steering wheel would have seen us holding the wheel 100% of the time, but there is no way this feature will be retrofitted. Time will tell whether the more sensitive torque detection is enough.

Because many of is *DO* keep our hands on the wheel, but are applying even torque, due to 30+ years of driving regular cars, where applying uneven torque would run you into a ditch. I regularly get nags with both hands on the wheel.

I'm looking forward to trying out this version to see of hand detection has improved, because at least until this version, it was horribly flawed.

It sounds like the new "wiggle" people are describing is designed to fix this specific issue. The computer tries to apply a very small amount of torque to the wheel, and your hands should provide enough resistance for the system to verify your hands are on the wheel, and you don't get a nag.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I'm excited to try this on my commute tomorrow. Anyone used the offramp-aware TACC feature yet?

I didn’t notice a difference on the interchange I took. But my car always slowed when it read the curving lines. This was on an interstate to interstate exchange where it was a long sweeping connection.

I’ll test more tomorrow to see if there’s specific types on off-ramps that this might be geared towards. It may be more apparent on immediate off ramps from highway to local.