Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe not entirely relevant, but you were already supposed to have changed your hand positions on the wheel. 10 and 2 are no longer correct since the advent of the airbag. That's why there are those nice grips built into the wheel at 9 and 3.

When I'm driving, I have two hands on the wheel. When I'm supervising the car's driving, I have one hand on the side of the wheel, toward the bottom, exerting just the hand and forearm weight for torque on the wheel. Never any nags.

As an Old Dog myself, I know it is possible to learn new tricks.
I actually didn't say anything about 10 and 2 by the way. And what you do is what I am finding myself already doing - moving from two hands nicely holding the wheel to one that is pretending to hold the wheel and maintaining traction with a single thumb or something - and unfortunately that means I'm actually holding the wheel less as a result...

Anyway this point may all be moot if the new release detects my light touch better; I don't have it yet so I shouldn't actually be commenting.

Seeing all the negative reviews of 21.9 and reports of increased nags and worsened AP2 behavior I decided to differ on installing version 21.9 on my S and 3. For those who have installed it, is this a good idea or not?

I installed it Saturday night and drove the AP2 Model S on Sunday morning. I did not notice any difference other than the IC now showing multiple lanes with cars in them. I was on 2018.18.2 and my car slowed down for curves/interstate ramps so it is still doing this.

There are a few people that do not want to keep their hands on the steering wheel and any additional nag frequency upsets them. I leave my hands on the steering wheel all of the time so I do not see any increased nags. Those that do not keep their hands on the steering wheel will be the first to say that autopilot caused a wreck when they get distracted and run into something. You can blame the idiot that got into the back seat of a Tesla Model S while on autopilot and took a video of the car driving itself. We did not have nags before he put the video on YouTube.

It is easy to determine who caused the wreck when the police officer writes a ticket. Does he write the ticket to the autopilot or to the driver of the car? Drivers In Command are always responsible for wrecks just like Pilots in Command (PICs) are responsible when a plane on autopilot crashes.

You can blame the idiot that got into the back seat of a Tesla Model S while on autopilot and took a video of the car driving itself. We did not have nags before he put the video on YouTube.

It is easy to determine who caused the wreck when the police officer writes a ticket. Does he write the ticket to the autopilot or to the driver of the car? Drivers In Command are always responsible for wrecks just like Pilots in Command (PICs) are responsible when a plane on autopilot crashes.

The YouTube guy would definitely be considered a DIC in this case.

Just a thought - of those who constantly hold the steering; that never have an issue with nags versus those who do: What do you have your steering assist set to? Comfort, standard, or sport? This could be a big factor in why some of us are hardly ever detected while others are.

I have mine set to standard. I still get an occasional nag but it does not bother me. I would think that comfort would get fewer nags.

I actually didn't say anything about 10 and 2 by the way. And what you do is what I am finding myself already doing - moving from two hands nicely holding the wheel to one that is pretending to hold the wheel and maintaining traction with a single thumb or something - and unfortunately that means I'm actually holding the wheel less as a result...

Anyway this point may all be moot if the new release detects my light touch better; I don't have it yet so I shouldn't actually be commenting.

I drove 80 miles today, I got the message exactly once and I drive mostly with one hand on AP. I just hold the wheel and it's fine. I only started getting the message to test what the frequency is (30 at highway) and how much force is needed to defeat it. I can defeat the message with my thumb tugging the wheel a little

I run it at sport and on AP2.5, maybe AP1 cars are different.

Had something interesting happen this morning. I was driving on a local road at 35mph. A pedestrian was crossing the road around 60m ahead of me and was moving slowly enough that I needed to brake mildly to give him room. The car made two low pitched beeps, applied the brakes on its own and briefly displayed the pedestrian as a car on the IC.

I've had these low pitched beeps a few times since upgrading to 21.9 It is a different pitch to the FCW beep so I'm sure it is new to this firmware. I'm wondering if its an "obstacle ahead" or "Autopilot is unsure" type of warning.

Anyone else had this?

Being old in the tooth (early 70's) and always having lived in the UK, most of our cars are manual gear change. I find driving my P85D a wonderful experience - notice I highlight driving.

Yes I use cruise control regularly but AP is not really a strong suit for me. I'm used to my own driving habits and recognition and adjustment times and have a generally clean licence (other than speeding offences) for 45 years. I've probably driven between 75000 and 100000 in the US on the frequent vacations we have had there over the past 30 years - once again without issue.

I guess what I'm saying is that as an oldie driving is, and always has been, an enjoyment and in a Tesla it's by far the most enjoyable experience I've ever had. Me being in control of the car rather than the other way round. I, personally, can't really imagine wanting to hand over the controls of such a wonderful machine to a computer. Maybe, long after I've departed this life and I'm enjoying myself driving my Shelby Cobra, Gordon Keeble or MB 300 sl gullwing between planets, technology will be such that all travel is synchronised by a central computerised system which will maximise speed and safety. Believe me, people certainly won't know what they're missing.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Only drove it on freeway for 25 miles yesterday but to me its clear how the nag is working. Hands off the wheel it took 20s consistently for the nag to appear. Right hand rested on the bottom led to no nag for 20 minutes. Clearly less torque resistance needed to show your hands are on the wheel, much more sensitive now.

AP 2.5

Last edited:
I have an S100D, May 2017 build with AP2 / MCU1. Received 2018.21.9 OTA on Saturday, while on an extended weekend trip doing some hiking in the mountains of East Tennessee. I was previously on 2018.12 with new navigation.

I drove 250 miles on it yesterday (Sunday) using AP for the majority of the trip (100% of the time while on highway). I saw no increased nag screens / events, but I drive with my hands in either the 10 and 2 position or left hand in the 7 / 8 position applying small amounts of torque. I had one phantom breaking event, where I slowed abruptly from 75 to 68 mph, while cresting a small hill at the same time as approaching an overpass.

One interesting thing I did notice, and it could have been just been blind luck; I had navigation on when I approached a "Y" split, AP merged me to the right and continued on via the correct route set in the nav.

If I run into anything else of interest I will post a follow-up.

I have a S100D. March 2018 with AP2.5/MCU2. I also have 2018.21.9 since a few days. I'm not happy.

- nags have increased to the extend that you cannot drive without holding the wheel. Nag times seem to depend on speed, I counted between 10 and 19 seconds on highway (130 km/h). On country roads (80 km/h) nag intervals were somewhat higher (30 seconds or something, still much more frequent than my previous version). The required 'touch' on the steering wheel seems to have decreased, but you really have to keep your hands on the wheel at all times with this new version. I am seriously considering buying AP buddy with this firmware. The white ring on the IC has changed to a white line at the top that looks like a stretched triangle

- You can see cars in adjacent lanes. Nice feature, but with the increased nag interval I rather go back to my previous firmware. Cars seem to move towards you as you are getting closer.

- I still have phantom breaking issues (had 1 today)

- My browser is no longer functioning. Entering an URL and pressing enter does not do anything.

- I have had an issue were the indicators were silent. eg. no 'clicking sound'. Required reset to resolve this.

- I have had an issue where I heard all kinds of sounds (AP on, AP off, collision warning) all at once for no reason.

- Lane change works just as bad as before. With that I mean that the blue line 7 out of 10 times does not change into a broken blue line.

- I have not noticed any improvements in AP behavior. My wife is as unhappy with AP as the has always been.

Had something interesting happen this morning. I was driving on a local road at 35mph. A pedestrian was crossing the road around 60m ahead of me and was moving slowly enough that I needed to brake mildly to give him room. The car made two low pitched beeps, applied the brakes on its own and briefly displayed the pedestrian as a car on the IC.

I've had these low pitched beeps a few times since upgrading to 21.9 It is a different pitch to the FCW beep so I'm sure it is new to this firmware. I'm wondering if its an "obstacle ahead" or "Autopilot is unsure" type of warning.

Anyone else had this?
I had gotten this same indication on my AP1 in a build from around November 2016. It was actually a false-positive; it detected an oddly-shaped street sign as a pedestrian. But there was an unmistakable red image of a pedestrian on the IC. It hasn't happened since and I have been wondering if this feature was still active.

• Informative
Reactions: TheTron
Really!
Jiggle the steering wheel to alert you to put your hands on the steering wheel.
is this a joke?
How are you supposed to feel it if your hands aren’t on the wheel?
This is probably dating myself, but I remember when booting up DOS with the keyboard disconnected produced the following error message:
“keyboard not connected, press any key to continue“
Maybe it's jiggling the steering wheel to sense if there was resistance to the jiggling.

I can at least confirm that a belgian owner received the map update on a 2017 Model X, so running on MCU1. ;)

I'm eagerly waiting for the updated Nav. Are you really 100% sure that a Belgian owner with a MCU1 car got the update? Not that I don't believe you, but this is the first I heard of :) Hope it starts to be pushed out soon!

Regarding 21.9 version I think it is awesome on my AP2.5 car. I usually rest a few fingers on the steering wheel when driving and previous versions gave me nags from time to time. Yesterday after having installed 21.9 I successfully drove for 40 minutes on the motorway without having a single nag. This was not possible with previous versions.