Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The steering wheel should be extremely sensitive to "hand detection", even if it's ripe for abuse by drivers with oranges.

Reason: After an accident, Tesla/Elon claim that hands were not detected on the steering wheel X seconds before a crash. Since that's a liability issue, Tesla should make this detection very sensitive on their part. The fact that both my hands are on the wheel all the time and I still get nagged every few minutes means that if I ever get into an accident, they can easily claim my hands were not on the wheel.

I hope the latest update has genuinely fixed this. I had asked service multiple times about this and if there was some steering wheel calibration they could do and nothing. Interestingly, my Model S with AP1 has never shown the nag when my hands were on the wheel. It's the AP2.5 on X that has been a PITA.

Got the update. Very happy with it! For those bitching about the increased nags, here is my solution...

EDIT: Guess my pic didn't post earlier...

IMG_1091.jpg

Last edited:
Interestingly, my Model S with AP1 has never shown the nag when my hands were on the wheel. It's the AP2.5 on X that has been a PITA.

My P85D with AP1 was much more responsive to my hands on the wheel than my current S90D with AP2. Until this update - my admittedly limited use so far seems to indicate that finally (after 1.5 years) my 90D now detects my hands on the wheel as well as my previous P85D did.

Mike

For all those sweating about holding the steering wheel ( pun unintended), those with sweaty palms will get chided more by AP nanny! When my teenage daughter drives it (under my supervision) it does warn her often even tho she has her hands on the steering wheel.

For me, I leave my hand on the lower right side of the wheel and don't get any nags - even with this update. However, there were few instances yesterday where it performed unpredictably. Once, it braked and slowed down for no reason when getting "on" the highway and I had to take over, and the other time, it couldn't negotiate a curve on the freeway entrance ramp and yelled at me to take over.

With all the photos of dash screens i can't get over how many people use range rather than percent as their battery unit.

I've switched back and forth a couple of times, but much prefer percentage. Range is always visible on the graph screen anyway. With the 100D it's a simple calculation anyway. Multiply 1/10 of the percentage by 30 and that's your safe range.

45% is 135 safe miles of range. 45*.1*30 or just 45 * 3 if that's easier to do in your head.

I have probably turned it on twice ever. I tend to program navigation on most trips (as it helps with autopilot) and all i really care about is if i need to charge to either get there or to drive about. Anything below 14% on arrival and I will tend to find somewhere to charge first.

I haven't read this whole thread, but Tesla sure is pushing this update out 'fast and furious'... makes me wonder if there is some hidden new feature or easter egg not yet discovered, or new (unpopular) restriction to be enabled in the near future when most people have already updated and it's too late to go back.

I got the update notification a couple of days ago, but they're rolling it out so fast, it makes me suspicious. So I think I'm going to hold off on updating for as long as I can.

Feels kind of like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'

TPzSapuLoBel.jpg

I've switched back and forth a couple of times, but much prefer percentage. Range is always visible on the graph screen anyway. With the 100D it's a simple calculation anyway. Multiply 1/10 of the percentage by 30 and that's your safe range.

45% is 135 safe miles of range. 45*.1*30 or just 45 * 3 if that's easier to do in your head.
(Off topic, sorry, but doesn’t yet deserve its own thread IMO)
I use percentage but would rather see both at the same time. Any elegant ideas on how they could display both without clutter?

Reactions: SSonnentag
I haven't read this whole thread, but Tesla sure is pushing this update out 'fast and furious'... makes me wonder if there is some hidden new feature or easter egg not yet discovered, or new (unpopular) restriction to be enabled in the near future when most people have already updated and it's too late to go back.

I got the update notification a couple of days ago, but they're rolling it out so fast, it makes me suspicious. So I think I'm going to hold off on updating for as long as I can.

Feels kind of like 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'

Agreed - the update was over 1GB in size and they're pushing it over LTE which means there's SOMETHING big in it, plus they're obviously eager for all to have it (even though my AP2 S60 on WiFi hasn't yet gotten it!). I'd bet there are some hidden FSD test features in there, not for us but for rather for them to test (and for @BigD0g and @verygreen to hack and uncover)!

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
Even with the prior version of the software (I don't have 21.9 yet), if you go slightly past the entrance to the on ramp to where there is a dashed line it will let you turn into the off ramp with the turn signal if it is a double entry off ramp.

I always keep at least one hand at 8 o’clock with my left elbow resting on the arm rest at all times, without allowing the wheel to slip through my fingers. Gravity pretty much takes care of the rest.
I view Autosteer as a safety feature, more than a convenience feature. More like a copilot than autopilot. It can keep me from veering into adjacent lanes or crashing into the car ahead of me when I’m briefly distracted glancing at the Screen to see what artist is playing or am experiencing an involuntary loss of control, while doing something as common as sneezing.
IMHO, more than hands on the wheel are required. Some level of interaction is always necessary to feel what Autosteer is doing. Then, when something feels very different than what I would do, I can override it.
I’m not positive, but it also seems like I can influence autosteer at times when it is indecisive, like in situations where it could go to the left or right when a lane splits into two for passing lanes,,etc. if I nudge early enough, it won’t disengage and seems to take the lane I want. Could be a coincidence, though.

(Off topic, sorry, but doesn’t yet deserve its own thread IMO)
I use percentage but would rather see both at the same time. Any elegant ideas on how they could display both without clutter?
Perhaps make the battery icon a bit bigger and have percentage displayed inside the battery and range next to it?

Still waiting for the update here, but I don't have the car on wifi. Anyone receive it over LTG/3G yet?

HW1 here.
My car has never really negotiated on/off ramps well, especially the initial merging part. I think some of the reason is that in VA they use smaller, more densely packed together dashed lines at the beginning of the merge-off lane and my car sees that as a solid line still. If the merge lane markings are the "standard" larger more widely spaced dashed lines, it seems to work fine. Not sure why VA uses both of these sets of line markings.

Perhaps make the battery icon a bit bigger and have percentage displayed inside the battery and range next to it?

Still waiting for the update here, but I don't have the car on wifi. Anyone receive it over LTG/3G yet?
Others getting while on LTE (just notice posts). I am on solid Wifi (and I work from home). AP2.5 and still on 2018.16 with 8 other cars. Really no idea how they can upgrade a lot of cars with newer versions and leave cars with older releases without the upgrade.