Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not positive, but it also seems like I can influence autosteer at times when it is indecisive, like in situations where it could go to the left or right when a lane splits into two for passing lanes,,etc. if I nudge early enough, it won’t disengage and seems to take the lane I want. Could be a coincidence, though.
I agree that you can definitely influence it without disengaging it. On my drive home, there's an exit ramp without dashed lines and if I don't touch it, it will often try to take the exit. If I hold the steering wheel just slightly, I can feel it very slightly turn to the right...then remain steady with my hand on the wheel, guiding it...and then it continues going straight.

• Informative
Reactions: d21mike
With all the photos of dash screens i can't get over how many people use range rather than percent as their battery unit.
This isn't a matter of opinion. Range is more useful than percent. Range is directly proportional to the amount of energy in the battery (per @wk057's analysis). It is a decent proxy for how far you will be able to go. If my 70D says I have 100 miles of range, and your 100D says 100 miles, we both have the same amount of energy in our batteries. And we can both go the same distance.

On the other hand percent is percent of maximum battery charge. How many kWh is your battery at 100%? On the day you bought your car? Today, after some degradation? And if your battery is at 46%, how many miles can you go? I have no clue. And 46% today will be different than 46% tomorrow as well as next year.

Others getting while on LTE (just notice posts). I am on solid Wifi (and I work from home). AP2.5 and still on 2018.16 with 8 other cars. Really no idea how they can upgrade a lot of cars with newer versions and leave cars with older releases without the upgrade.
Of our three cars:
  • 1 with AP2.5 got it early yesterday. Tried installing it but updated failed. Got a new notification this morning and will be installing it today.
  • 1 with AP2 got it last night via wifi. Installed it last night without issue.
  • 1 with AP2 got it this morning via LTE. Waiting to install it since that car is on an extended roadtrip and driver doesn't want to deal with the potential for 30 second nags over 1000+ mile drive home.

This isn't a matter of opinion. Range is more useful than percent. Range is directly proportional to the amount of energy in the battery (per @wk057's analysis). It is a decent proxy for how far you will be able to go. If my 70D says I have 100 miles of range, and your 100D says 100 miles, we both have the same amount of energy in our batteries. And we can both go the same distance.

On the other hand percent is percent of maximum battery charge. How many kWh is your battery at 100%? On the day you bought your car? Today, after some degradation? And if your battery is at 46%, how many miles can you go? I have no clue. And 46% today will be different than 46% tomorrow as well as next year.
I've noticed that people who use percentage often mention how they just convert it to miles (or kms) in their head. That's what the range setting is for! ;) No need to convert!

I really never try to figure out the percentage left. About the only time I ever do calculate my percentage is when I'm using a trip planner and it asks for the state of charge when I leave on my trip. I also need to then enter in battery degradation because the percentage charge varies as the battery ages, as you've pointed out. If the trip planner allowed me to just enter the range shown in my car, I would only need to enter the one value.

Got my update notification last night and installed this morning. Didnt really notice much with the nags, but I was always in the habit of randomly wiggling the steering wheel while on AP before even getting a nag, or placing my hand on the steering wheel like so...I dont actually move my hand, but there is enough friction/resistance as the wheel makes adjustments on the road that it keeps the nags away.

Couple other things that seem new, though not 100% sure...

1. When you turn on Autopilot, the lane lines turn blue but not instantly (as in instant gray to blue), its like a gradual "power up" type of visual. though very quick.

2. When not on AP, the car in front in your lane is a dark gray color, but once you turn on AP, the car is highlighted white - was it always this way?

Hold.jpg

I noticed that the kw gauge now is showing some orange, even when the car is in park with the HVAC running. There was another reply here where someone said this was always the case. Honestly, I don't recall ever seeing consumption showing up when the car was in park.

I always see a little bit of orange while parked if the AC is on. Shut it off and you'll see it drop.

Got my update notification last night and installed this morning. Didnt really notice much with the nags, but I was always in the habit of randomly wiggling the steering wheel while on AP before even getting a nag, or placing my hand on the steering wheel like so...I dont actually move my hand, but there is enough friction/resistance as the wheel makes adjustments on the road that it keeps the nags away.

Couple other things that seem new, though not 100% sure...

1. When you turn on Autopilot, the lane lines turn blue but not instantly (as in instant gray to blue), its like a gradual "power up" type of visual. though very quick.

2. When not on AP, the car in front in your lane is a dark gray color, but once you turn on AP, the car is highlighted white - was it always this way?

Hold.jpg
This is the same position I hold the steering wheel. However, I found this update doesn't seem to recognize my hands on the steering wheel at all in this position, resulting in the nags with less than 30 second intervals. On top of it, the flashing dash seems to only affect the very top part of the screen, which is terrible since my line of sight is blocked by the position of the steering wheel so I don't even realize the car doesn't recognize I'm holding the steering wheel... I'm getting pretty frustrated by this update.

This is the same position I hold the steering wheel. However, I found this update doesn't seem to recognize my hands on the steering wheel at all in this position, resulting in the nags with less than 30 second intervals. On top of it, the flashing dash seems to only affect the very top part of the screen, which is terrible since my line of sight is blocked by the position of the steering wheel so I don't even realize the car doesn't recognize I'm holding the steering wheel... I'm getting pretty frustrated by this update.

Are you seeing the nags on straight roads or ones with curves? I admit my morning drive was on a windy road, so there was a good amount of movement in the wheel. I could see how on a straight road it would not sense the hand placement there.

Three disappointing things:
1) I did not pick to install it, nor did I set a time to install it. It installed automatically anyways last night. I don't remember any update ever doing this in the past. I had been very careful to ignore the update screen as I have been following this thread online and wanted to give it a few more days :(

2) I had my hands on the wheel the entire time for a 30 minute trip and I got two beep warnings. Yes, it is more sensitive but not sensitive enough. It's actually very annoying and I'm dreading the first road-trip later this month. I don't appreciate making my car worse.

3) The change to only illuminate the top of the screen is horrible and needs to be rolled back immediately. It would not detect my hands in the past but I would 'jiggle' the wheel when I saw flashing. I did not see the flashing today because it is hidden by the top of the steering wheel.

Last edited:
1) I did not pick to install it, nor did I set a time to install it. It installed automatically anyways last night. I don't remember any update ever doing this in the past. I had been very careful to ignore the update screen as I have been following this thread online and wanted to give it a few more days :(

2) I had my hands on the wheel the entire time for a 30 minute trip and I got two beep warnings. Yes, it is more sensitive but not sensitive enough. It's actually very annoying and I'm dreading the first road-trip later this month. I don't appreciate making my car worse.

3) The change to only illuminate the top of the screen is horrible and needs to be rolled back immediately. It would not detect my hands in the past but I would 'jiggle' the wheel when I saw flashing. I did not see the flashing today because it is hidden by the top of the steering wheel.
Could you clarify what you were doing before? Did you always use 1 or 2 hands on the wheel in AP or did you always (or most always) leave hands OFF the wheel until you get the warning? Seems like most of the complaints are from people that use AP without hands on the wheel and now they need to have at least 1 hand on the wheel because of the frequency has increased.

fyi.. I am on 2018.16 and I keep at least 1 hand on the wheel and I pretty much NEVER get the nag warning. Also, I NEVER 'jiggle' the wheel. All that is required, at least with my car, is a "slight" pressure with with or against the direction of the steering wheel.

Likewise, I don't understand how folks make any sense out of % remaining. I mean, I know the next charger is 100 miles away and I want to see an estimate of how many miles are remaining in my pack. I have no idea if the next charger is 42% of my battery pack away.

But I'm glad Tesla let's us choose what to display since it seems many like to see % remaining...

Mike
Likewise, I don't understand how folks make any sense out of % remaining. I mean, I know the next charger is 100 miles away and I want to see an estimate of how many miles are remaining in my pack. I have no idea if the next charger is 42% of my battery pack away.

But I'm glad Tesla let's us choose what to display since it seems many like to see % remaining...

Mike
Perhaps make the battery icon a bit bigger and have percentage displayed inside the battery and range next to it?

Still waiting for the update here, but I don't have the car on wifi. Anyone receive it over LTG/3G yet?

I like that idea!

Reactions: Sambas

This is starting to feel a little bit like the famous Apple "youre holding it wrong" fiasco.

In Tesla's case, you're steering wheel is positioned wrong. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: chwall P90DL

Mike

I used to display range before but now I’m more comfortable with the percentage. It is a personal preference for sure but how about being able to display both at the same time? I hope Tesla would include that with v9.0

Reactions: d21mike
Could you clarify what you were doing before?

Only one hand. In the city I drive with 2 hands but whenever I have auto-pilot or highway I'm usually using 1 hand. I keep it at the 8-9 o'clock position or 5ish. It is pretty lightly on the wheel, just resting. I will use 0 hands on long trips for periods of time (resting on door or lap) but this is not the case for around town driving.

I don't think 'jiggle' was the correct word, I would just apply a little pressure to turn the wheel either left/right slightly enough for it to pick me up.

On straight roads I get the warning quite often. On windy roads, not so much.