Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...same notes as 21.9 ...issue is AP drives worse now :(

Not the same notes as 2018.21.9, as the speed limit mode note has been added.

Also I noticed not the same notes as 2018.24 either. 2018.24.1 adds the "In memory of Barrett Riley". He was killed in that Tesla crash driving too fast, so this feature seems designed for him.

Ok did another 120 mile stretch on AP ..this new update is horrible ..the braking is not as smooth as before and I get a lot of “shadow” braking ...definitely a regression on AP 2.5 ...on top of this the constant nags :(

Nerts. Thanks for the heads up.

I may stop applying updates until v9.1, unless there is appreciable nag reduction in the meantime. Simply unusable in its current state.

I would not have paid for silent E-AP or an AP2 car at all had I known how far behind AP2 was, and I surely would not have parted with a nickel for the current failed nag state/can’t actually detect hands on wheel either. I don’t need an insurance company’s minions being told by Tesla that my hands weren’t on the wheel when in fact they actually were.

If 24.1 has shown anything, short of a better wheel management approach, it’s that we need more granular release notes and the option to read them before choosing to apply the update. Easier than reverting after the fact, I suspect.

Would also like to have a “postpone this update for x <= 30 days” feature with a daily confirmation pop up,

Blue ponies for everyone! v9.1 (and Halloween) can’t get here soon enough).

@tpham07 I'm not 100% sure but wasn't that road trip on 21.9, not 24.1 ?
Erik was on 2018.21.9. I doubt the nags have changed on 24.x that much besides the warning language! I did another 300 miles over the weekend and had about the same nags he did (on 21.9). Only a few when I wasn’t paying attention by holding the wheel slightly against turning.

Waiting for the next release to see if anything has really changed. :D

Reactions: xyeahtony
Just got the 2018.24.1 update on my classic (pre-AP) Model S (P85+) installed by the SC.
No speed limit feature for us classic drivers, unfortunately. APP is up to date but does not give me the extra speed limiting option. Reminds me of when Chill mode was introduced. The classics were left out there as well.

I am currently driving a facelift 75D loaner with AP2 which also has the 2018.24.1 update installed.
So I tested what happens when you activate the speed limiting function from the center screen. Apart from limiting the max speed (between 80kph and 145kph) the Chill mode is activated (shown in the instrument cluster).

So, this i why the classics don't get the speed limiting function: It is directly related to Chill mode which isn't available on the pre-AP models.

.24 AP worked fine this morning for me, just like .21 did. Really AP has been overall excellent for me, YMMV.

Two problems I've run into over the last months:
1. A couple of hard brakes for overpasses which scare me.
2. If you have AP change lanes, and accidentally release the turn signal too soon (a bump in the road jostles your arm), then the car lurches back to the original lane far too hard when at 70mph. (That's not new with .24.)

.24 specific: Is it just my imagination or is the frame rate on the dash smoother? The cars-in-adjacent-lanes don't seem to jump around as much, they move more smoothly. Or, I am just less caffeinated today :)

.24 AP worked fine this morning for me, just like .21 did. Really AP has been overall excellent for me, YMMV.

Two problems I've run into over the last months:
1. A couple of hard brakes for overpasses which scare me.
2. If you have AP change lanes, and accidentally release the turn signal too soon (a bump in the road jostles your arm), then the car lurches back to the original lane far too hard when at 70mph. (That's not new with .24.)

.24 specific: Is it just my imagination or is the frame rate on the dash smoother? The cars-in-adjacent-lanes don't seem to jump around as much, they move more smoothly. Or, I am just less caffeinated today :)

I've been trying really hard to find a difference between .21.9 and .24 and .24.1 on AP2 and honestly, I don't see much difference if any.

For a couple of days after installing 2018.21.9 it seemed AP was worse (on surface streets) but after maybe a week I did not see the strange behavior anymore. I know the cars are not supposed to "learn" but do they get new NN updates or some calibration after the new updates come out? I noticed on Google Wifi I get a lot of downloads daily. Not sure what it could be. I understand uploads.

Today = 31mb download and 25mb upload

For a couple of days after installing 2018.21.9 it seemed AP was worse (on surface streets) but after maybe a week I did not see the strange behavior anymore. I know the cars are not supposed to "learn" but do they get new NN updates or some calibration after the new updates come out? I noticed on Google Wifi I get a lot of downloads daily. Not sure what it could be. I understand uploads.

This has been observed by me and others for almost all firmware builds. As you state, the car is not learning, so something else is happening and likely it is due to our observational biases but I am having a hard time reconciling that with my personal repeated observations of reduced or dangerous behavior shortly after a new firmware and improvement after a week.

Reactions: Kacey Green
This has been observed by me and others for almost all firmware builds. As you state, the car is not learning, so something else is happening and likely it is due to our observational biases but I am having a hard time reconciling that with my personal repeated observations of reduced or dangerous behavior shortly after a new firmware and improvement after a week.
Although the car may not be learning, I suspect that there are various levels of recalibration that do occur in certain situations.

I agree with others that the neural net is unlikely to be learning, however, I do think there is some amount of calibration per car (like the amount of response from steering to a given angle or pressing the brake a certain amount)

I think those factors are likely calibrating (if not also the camera brightness/exposure gains). Like you guys I’ve also noticed that the first 20-50 miles after an update can feel like a regression but then it improves. And I’ve tried to rule out placebo effect the best I can too.

Yeah, that’s the same. The new ‘less confusing’ lol version.

Either 24.1 has no changes and is a bug fix or they just added overheat protection for the 3. Something made it get pulled and replaced immediately.
I was at the service center 6/22 and asked for 2018.24 because I hadn't gotten it yet and he said they were back to 2018.21.9 because of some "glitch" and it was recalled after only a few hours. Apparently 24.1 fixed that (he wouldn't say what the glitch was)