Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Maps. Are. Aw...ful.

Seriously terrible. Tesla really needs to figure out this MCU upgrade option. I’ve got some cash to give them.

Makes me more upset that I missed the MCU upgrade by a day
+1
Just upgraded to 2018.24.1. The map drawing is worse than it ever has been (MCU1). *sigh* I'd give some cash just to get back to 2018.18.2...or give us the option to get that MCU2.

2017 Model S 60 (75) with MCU 1 - just updated to 24.1. Unlike other reports, using the new vector maps in my garage on good WiFi, they appear snappier and higher performing than the previous non-vector maps. Executed some routing to long distance locations (200+ miles) was also quite a bit faster than usual.

I feel like this is an uncommon experience with 24.1, so wanted to report.
I just installed this update and the maps seemed fast in the garage. One BIG complaint is the gray on gray! I could barely see any roads! Same with the release notes. Gray text on black background in night mode. I couldn't read them. :(

Reactions: Utahken and P85_DA
I think the main pattern I’ve noticed with regard to MCU1 vector maps is while it is fetching a new “tile” the whole thing is horribly slow. Especially if you’ve zoomed or panned to an unfamiliar area it seems to need a long time to catch up and start rendering anything.

Once it’s in the steady state it definitely does a decent job handling zooming and rotating. I wouldn’t say it’s anything major.

I have noticed at least on .24, sometimes I get in the car and the maps are doggone slow. But rebooting in those cases seems to help.

Reactions: brkaus
Another week goes by, another release permeates, and yet more posts going on about the nags and the same number of people telling us how to drive our cars yet again. Well the only useful info I have to add is when I got this update, it was too big a diff coming from .21 and I got a full 1.4GB download. Not that that means anything by itself.

Oh and for those complaining that autopilot keeps getting worse (and I agree), just a little reminder that last time around, it kept getting what appeared to be worse and worse until they deployed a new neural network and suddenly it was miles better. Fingers crossed that's going to happen again this time since version 9 is allegedly around the corner (though that corner is a blind one an unknown distance ahead.)

So many posts about how awful the nag frequency is.
Perhaps it would be better to think about the nag process in a different way.

Well, I disagree. I don't care about the nag itself perse. I get that the car needs to know if I'm still there.
What frustrates me is that the car now dictates in what position I should drive. How I should have my hands, that it needs to "hang" on the wheel enough.

But in my case the car dictates how I should hold the wheel, which for me is a position that is uncomfortable. That gets very old very quickly. It is simply annoying to drive the car with AP for me.

Forget the steering wheel nag. Lets say there was a button on the dash that you would have to press every 15 seconds. Like a dead man's switch. Would you be okay with that? Probably not. Same reason I'm not okay with the nags.

I perfectly get that the frustration I get is hard to understand for someone that holds the wheel in a position that the car detects your hands. But for me it simply doesn't work.

I love the new vector maps! The looks with the greyer tones just is sooooo much better with the new skin. Thanks for adjusting Tesla. Also, rendering of traffic is MUCH faster than before. I don't agree at all with comments in here that it has gotten slower, my experience is just the opposite.

Well, I disagree. I don't care about the nag itself perse. I get that the car needs to know if I'm still there.
What frustrates me is that the car now dictates in what position I should drive. How I should have my hands, that it needs to "hang" on the wheel enough.

But in my case the car dictates how I should hold the wheel, which for me is a position that is uncomfortable. That gets very old very quickly. It is simply annoying to drive the car with AP for me.

Forget the steering wheel nag. Lets say there was a button on the dash that you would have to press every 15 seconds. Like a dead man's switch. Would you be okay with that? Probably not. Same reason I'm not okay with the nags.

I perfectly get that the frustration I get is hard to understand for someone that holds the wheel in a position that the car detects your hands. But for me it simply doesn't work.
You could still keep your hand lying on the bottom edge of the wheel the way you like, but just keep it a little off-centre.
This may provide sufficient counter-torque to prevent the nags, while not interrupting your chi too much.

Right, as I said a day ago, we had 30 a day and then 30 before 0700 ET. Now we are doing over a 100 a day at TeslaFi. Not sure what 'isn't being offered' means. :)

(And, again, that 148 at TeslaFi is today as of 0840 ET!) Just got it myself, which usually means it's going wide. I never get a release that isn't being offered to virtually everyone, for who knows what reason.

On my five hour roundtrip roadtrip to the Eastern Shore (of Maryland) last weekend, I think I had under ten nags. It definitely seems to be very user-case-dependent!
upload_2018-6-29_8-37-58.png

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Are any of you people who got it coming from 2018.21.9? I took delivery of my car last Monday and it came with that firmware and I would really like to get 2018.24.1, mainly because my web browser and user manual don't work and because I have rebooted the car twice and both times, it went into a loop that lasted several minutes. It was kind of scary!

To make things worst, my home garage is underground and doesn't get any cell or wifi signal. So I parked my car outside since this morning hoping that I will get the new firmware during the day.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Are any of you people who got it coming from 2018.21.9? I took delivery of my car last Monday and it came with that firmware and I would really like to get 2018.24.1, mainly because my web browser and user manual don't work and because I have rebooted the car twice and both times, it went into a loop that lasted several minutes. It was kind of scary!

To make things worst, my home garage is underground and doesn't get any cell or wifi signal. So I parked my car outside since this morning hoping that I will get the new firmware during the day.
Yep, here's my list; as I mentioned, I seem to get the ones that are released 'to most everyone' for some reason. You will quickly see where you are on the 'list'. :D

And, those problems are strange, to say the least. The web browser isn't much to speak of, but the manual usually works when I ever try to use it (the PDF is much more usable). Again, MCU2 cars are still getting some of the kinks worked out, sorry to say!

upload_2018-6-29_9-45-33.png

Reactions: arubinst
Yep, here's my list; as I mentioned, I seem to get the ones that are released 'to most everyone' for some reason. You will quickly see where you are on the 'list'. :D

And, those problems are strange, to say the least. The web browser isn't much to speak of, but the manual usually works when I ever try to use it (the PDF is much more usable). Again, MCU2 cars are still getting some of the kinks worked out, sorry to say!

View attachment 313222
Thanks!

I've been checking my phone all day like crazy waiting for the notification. I event went out once to check it out just in case I had got the update but did't get the notification :rolleyes:

Actually this is pretty easy. It depends on how you normally drive. I get the nags every 15 seconds on highways. It is due to how I hold my hand.

I drive in 3 positions:
- My hand lies on the bottom end of the wheel. It is in balance, so no torque to left or right.
- I have my arm resting on my knee and my hand lightly holds the wheel, not enough for the car to "feel" it.
- My hand resting on my knee and my hand holds the wheel from below.

In those positions the car does not detect my hand. In order to fix this I have to have my hand "hanging" somewhat on the wheel. Then all the nags are gone. However, this doesn't drive comfortably for me.

If you have your hand higher up the wheel it will apply more torque to the wheel as your arm will be hanging from the wheel. Then you do not get any nags.

For me personally, AP is unusable since 21.9. On highways it's more comfortable to steer on my own than to apply torque every 15 seconds.
Your description is primarily how I drive and because of that I haven't downloaded the update.

Reactions: ZoomFPV and Tozz

I was on 2018.21.9 as well
5E2551C1-1867-42AE-8D44-D6B93E3D933B.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: arubinst