Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the service center 6/22 and asked for 2018.24 because I hadn't gotten it yet and he said they were back to 2018.21.9 because of some "glitch" and it was recalled after only a few hours. Apparently 24.1 fixed that (he wouldn't say what the glitch was)
Yeah, there was some discussion above. (On mobile and hard to scan... :D) As far as we know the only option the SC has is the current release (whatever that is). Unfortunately.

24.1 appears to be rolling out well normally (not the go go go of 21.9).

Reactions: DoctorG
Had 24.1 pushed to me yesterday at the SC. I didn't notice much difference (if at all) when it came to map performance. MCU1 with a 11/17 build date for reference. What I did notice was a more audible nag. I am not sure if it was because I was playing music loudly or what, but will do more Autopilot testing tomorrow. It also was legitimately nagging me 5-10 seconds after engaging Autopilot. Once again, not sure if it had to do with the loud music (did they think I was distracted) or what. This was on more city 4 lane streets and not the interstate.

Reactions: P85_DA
I took my 75D to the SC today for its 1-yr Annual. There, I was informed that they have a firmware update that's ONLY for the 75D. I was told it would lower the 0-60 spec to "4.2 seconds." I think the old spec was 5.2 seconds when I took delivery, but after July, a new 75D was said by Tesla to be capable of 4.2 seconds. This special firmware update requires physically attaching the SC computer to the MS 75D, so it was supposed to take only "35-40 minutes." Instead, it took almost two hours, but when they returned the car to me, to my great surprise, it also had 2018.24.1.
I've noticed no difference in AP function -- NO regression. I NEVER experienced a single "nag" in the weeks I had 21.9, and I experienced none in the 15 miles of freeway driving on the way home. It's incomprehensible to me that some are reporting nags every "10 seconds" while some of us never see or hear an AP nag at all.

I took my 75D to the SC today for its 1-yr Annual. There, I was informed that they have a firmware update that's ONLY for the 75D. I was told it would lower the 0-60 spec to "4.2 seconds." I think the old spec was 5.2 seconds when I took delivery, but after July, a new 75D was said by Tesla to be capable of 4.2 seconds. This special firmware update requires physically attaching the SC computer to the MS 75D, so it was supposed to take only "35-40 minutes." Instead, it took almost two hours, but when they returned the car to me, to my great surprise, it also had 2018.24.1.
I've noticed no difference in AP function -- NO regression. I NEVER experienced a single "nag" in the weeks I had 21.9, and I experienced none in the 15 miles of freeway driving on the way home. It's incomprehensible to me that some are reporting nags every "10 seconds" while some of us never see or hear an AP nag at all.
This is what is known as "Uncorking"

Uncorking is a big value add, and we should not take it for granted. No other car manufacturer would upgrade your 0-60 by close to 20% without charge.

Exactly! In 2017 Ford updated the software for the Ford Fusion Energi PHEV (I had a 2013). Never a word about even offering for a fee the upgraded software that improved efficiency for older cars. Ford themselves even said it was improved software only.

And it seems like the 10 souls on 2018.24 are staying on there. Doesn't seem like there's any hurry to replace 2018.24 with 2018.24.1.

I just got an OTA update (over my garage WiFi) from 24 to 24.1
24 has deffo been pulled. I can state from my experience that the phantom braking was horrifically scary. I've never had it before. Maybe this was the 'malicious code' that the press are playing with at the moment...

It's incomprehensible to me that some are reporting nags every "10 seconds" while some of us never see or hear an AP nag at all.

Actually this is pretty easy. It depends on how you normally drive. I get the nags every 15 seconds on highways. It is due to how I hold my hand.

I drive in 3 positions:
- My hand lies on the bottom end of the wheel. It is in balance, so no torque to left or right.
- I have my arm resting on my knee and my hand lightly holds the wheel, not enough for the car to "feel" it.
- My hand resting on my knee and my hand holds the wheel from below.

In those positions the car does not detect my hand. In order to fix this I have to have my hand "hanging" somewhat on the wheel. Then all the nags are gone. However, this doesn't drive comfortably for me.

If you have your hand higher up the wheel it will apply more torque to the wheel as your arm will be hanging from the wheel. Then you do not get any nags.

For me personally, AP is unusable since 21.9. On highways it's more comfortable to steer on my own than to apply torque every 15 seconds.

I just got an OTA update (over my garage WiFi) from 24 to 24.1
24 has deffo been pulled. I can state from my experience that the phantom braking was horrifically scary. I've never had it before. Maybe this was the 'malicious code' that the press are playing with at the moment...

I’ve been on 24 have not been offered .24.1 over Wi-Fi yet. It’s definitely not being offered anymore but FWIW on ap2.0 I’m not seeing any phantom braking at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: Siggy101
I took a 900 mile drive last week, all highway, on 21.9 and used AP a lot with only the right drift issue at exit ramps. Yesterday I got 24.1. On my first AP engagement, we entered a left turn on the highway. The car stayed straight until the right wheels were nearly 3 feet over the right line and then literally swerved into the turn. Pretty scary. I'm not using AP any more until this is fixed. 24.1 is for me, degraded from 21.9

Not sure if it's 2018.24 or 2018.24.1 but AP2 seems to recognize more "bad" scenarios and throw "Take Over Immediately" alarms for them. This morning I (carefully) allowed AP2 to proceed in places where I knew I had to take over. These situations all caused a TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alarm roughly half a second after when I would've disengaged anyway:

- Intersection with painted lines that abruptly joins with a 5 foot lane shift, such that the lines directly guide you to straddle a lane marker. (thanks a lot CalTrans for your great construction work…)
- Lane that turns into a very sharp merge ramp to another street. Either have to make a very sharp turn or you'll drive into a row of metal poles.
- Left turn lane following a lead car, and the lead car made the turn, revealing a row of oncoming cars

It seems like in all of these cases, the TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY prompt is combined with the car either coming to a stop or rolling forward at creep speed. In the past, the car had a tendency to resume TACC acceleration to the original setpoint which was pretty frightening.

I wonder if they've put more work into detecting abnormal situations.

Actually this is pretty easy. It depends on how you normally drive. I get the nags every 15 seconds on highways. It is due to how I hold my hand.

I drive in 3 positions:
- My hand lies on the bottom end of the wheel. It is in balance, so no torque to left or right.
- I have my arm resting on my knee and my hand lightly holds the wheel, not enough for the car to "feel" it.
- My hand resting on my knee and my hand holds the wheel from below.

In those positions the car does not detect my hand. In order to fix this I have to have my hand "hanging" somewhat on the wheel. Then all the nags are gone. However, this doesn't drive comfortably for me.

If you have your hand higher up the wheel it will apply more torque to the wheel as your arm will be hanging from the wheel. Then you do not get any nags.

For me personally, AP is unusable since 21.9. On highways it's more comfortable to steer on my own than to apply torque every 15 seconds.

This exactly the same issue I have. I added a wrist weight onto the steering wheel to stop the nags even when I hold the wheel. So sad having to do this to a car at this level.