Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This exactly the same issue I have. I added a wrist weight onto the steering wheel to stop the nags even when I hold the wheel. So sad having to do this to a car at this level.

Be careful - in case of airbag deployment, the weight can turn into a high velocity projectile, blown into your head/chest at bulls speed. You could be seriously injured or die.

Also....
Any defeat device isn't a good idea. Just saying.
Think about it. If you have a medical emergency / stroke / heart attack / goodness knows what. The feature is there to save your life. That weight might make you plough into something and multiply your problems (maybe even scratch your car!!!)

Just move your hand to a new position. I 'hang' my right hand on the bottom of the wheel and never get any nags. It's not impossible to change your habits...

In know this the S forum for this update, Model 3 owner here. I have not noticed any difference in nags personally since getting the update, but was on the phone with the service center the other day and the subject came up.

They said this was the threshold for nags:

Low speeds 90 seconds
Medium speeds 45 seconds
90+ MPH 20 seconds

I don't know how valid that is, just passing the info along. I didn't ask what the range was for low and medium

Reactions: Bigt6542
In know this the S forum for this update, Model 3 owner here. I have not noticed any difference in nags personally since getting the update, but was on the phone with the service center the other day and the subject came up.

Low speeds 90 seconds
Medium speeds 45 seconds
90+ MPH 20 seconds

I don't know how valid that is, just passing the info along. I didn't ask what the range was for low and medium

I don't think those numbers are that accurate. I can see the nags every 20 seconds when only going 70 MPH. A couple weeks back, I drove 120 miles at 80 MPH and probably saw the nags over 200 times. That was on 2018.21.9. We had 2018.24 staged but it was pulled back before we could install it.

Low speeds 90 seconds
Medium speeds 45 seconds
90+ MPH 20 seconds

Unless things have changed, AP will disengage for the remainder of the trip at 90MPH, so I really doubt those numbers.

Low speeds 90 seconds
Medium speeds 45 seconds
90+ MPH 20 seconds

There have been multiple youtube video tests that have different numbers but the idea is the same. The faster you drive the more frequent the nags. If you really want to see the nags it is a very easy test. Just remove your hands from the wheel and wait for the nags. Have someone use a stop watch. Like you said if you follow the procedure for hands on the wheel you can eliminate the nags.

Actually this is pretty easy. It depends on how you normally drive. I get the nags every 15 seconds on highways. It is due to how I hold my hand.

I drive in 3 positions:
- My hand lies on the bottom end of the wheel. It is in balance, so no torque to left or right.
- I have my arm resting on my knee and my hand lightly holds the wheel, not enough for the car to "feel" it.
- My hand resting on my knee and my hand holds the wheel from below.

In those positions the car does not detect my hand. In order to fix this I have to have my hand "hanging" somewhat on the wheel. Then all the nags are gone. However, this doesn't drive comfortably for me.

If you have your hand higher up the wheel it will apply more torque to the wheel as your arm will be hanging from the wheel. Then you do not get any nags.

For me personally, AP is unusable since 21.9. On highways it's more comfortable to steer on my own than to apply torque every 15 seconds.
I just drove about 1000 km today and yesterday. 90% of driving on autopilot, longest continuous autopilot strech without disengaging 160 km.

I saw just 2-3 nags the entire drive. Most of the time I rest my hand on left lap, while holding the wheel normally, but using two fingers to torque it down a little. It's not exhausting at all, and after doing it for a while I don't notice at all that I'm doing it. Just a nice drive without doing anything.

About autopilot performance, it was good. Speeds from 40 km/h to 150 km/h performed excellent.

My only issue is when cars blink into your lane, or car ahead brakes, ACC is very persistent on keeping an exact same distance to the car in front. This makes the car brake very hard, even though the distance is long to the car in front. A human driver would just let the distance shrink a little for a few seconds for a smooth brake, but ACC kind of hugs brakes in. This happens all the time on freeways, and is sometimes a bit unexpected for the car behind sometimes causing situations where they almost rear end you. Elon has said that is better in V9.0 from august though.

So many posts about how awful the nag frequency is.
Perhaps it would be better to think about the nag process in a different way.
Most people think of it as one way communication
A complaint communicated by the car when it thinks your hands are not on the wheel whether they are or not depending on your driving style.
How often are you talking on your cell phone for a while and you begin to wonder if the person you’re talking to on the other end is still there because you haven’t heard a sound?. Not even an “uha”
So you ask...”are you still there?”
That’s what the car is doing.

I am intermittently proactively, giving little tugs on the steering wheel just to let the system no I am actively involved in the driving process as if to say “uha, I’m still here.
By treating it as a two way communication process, I rarely if ever get nags.
I know this is not necessarily natural, but without a hardware change that allows it to read your mind, track your eye movements, detect squeezing vs torque... it is what it is. We all need to deal with it.

Last edited:
So many posts about how awful the nag frequency is.
Perhaps it would be better to think about the nag process in a different way.
Most people think of it as one way communication
A complaint communicated by the car when it thinks your hands are not on the wheel whether they are or not depending on your driving style.
How often are you talking on your cell phone for a while and you begin to wonder if the person you’re talking to on the other end is still there because you haven’t heard a sound?. Not even an “uha”
So you ask...”are you still there?”
That’s what the car is doing.

I am intermittently proactively, giving little tugs on the steering wheel just to let the system no I am actively involved in the driving process as if to say “uha, I’m still here.
By treating it as a two way communication process, I rarely if ever get nags.
I know this is not necessarily natural, but without a hardware change that allows it to read your mind, track your eye movements, detect squeezing vs torque... it is what it is. We all need to deal with it.

BINGO -- just drove 120 miles on AP2 and no nags... didn't do anything out of the ordinary either. I think people who are getting frequent nags are either keeping their hands off the wheel or not providing enough torque or resistance to prove they're holding the wheel. I wish they had installed some sort of "touch sensor" in the wheel itself to confirm hands are on wheel... sure they will do in subsequent refreshes...

2017 Model S 60 (75) with MCU 1 - just updated to 24.1. Unlike other reports, using the new vector maps in my garage on good WiFi, they appear snappier and higher performing than the previous non-vector maps. Executed some routing to long distance locations (200+ miles) was also quite a bit faster than usual.

I feel like this is an uncommon experience with 24.1, so wanted to report.