Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24 baf6ebc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a parent, I am glad to see that they are adding parental controls like absolute max speed. A more thorough implementation would have been to also set a limit relative to posted speed limits. ie Limits to: +10 mph. The fatal accident last month involving two teens hitting a wall in FL was estimated at 60mph in a 30mph zone.

Agreed, but a mandatory prerequisite for that would be speed limit sign recognition in AP2+, as the GPS database is laughably incomplete and inaccurate.

Reactions: drewg123 and Sather
Yeah, so pinch-to-zoom still loads vectorized "tiles" (yeah I know, but I mean it. It still pages in 1 tile at a time).

And overall now that the road labels update dynamically, rotating and panning the maps actually has a lower framerate compared to pre-vector maps. I would estimate it to be updating at around 5fps right now. 30fps in the old maps.

So yeah, unfortunately, it felt like this undid all of the performance improvements we got in 2018.14 and beyond. Maps feel as unresponsive as MCU1 did at its worse.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the performance front. Visual aesthetics I definitely like the new map appearance.

I could live with the lower framerate IF it doesn't take ages for the road labels and traffic overlay to update and this has gotten faster? With the pre .24 MCU1 (that I still have) the frame rate is like you mention very fast, but the slightest pinch zoom result in that it must reload the tiles and the labels which is a really slow process. Any improvements here?

I could live with the lower framerate IF it doesn't take ages for the road labels and traffic overlay to update and this has gotten faster? With the pre .24 MCU1 (that I still have) the frame rate is like you mention very fast, but the slightest pinch zoom result in that it must reload the tiles and the labels which is a really slow process. Any improvements here?
That’s still the same :(

• Informative
Reactions: evster
Yeah, so pinch-to-zoom still loads vectorized "tiles" (yeah I know, but I mean it. It still pages in 1 tile at a time).

And overall now that the road labels update dynamically, rotating and panning the maps actually has a lower framerate compared to pre-vector maps. I would estimate it to be updating at around 5fps right now. 30fps in the old maps.

So yeah, unfortunately, it felt like this undid all of the performance improvements we got in 2018.14 and beyond. Maps feel as unresponsive as MCU1 did at its worse.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the performance front. Visual aesthetics I definitely like the new map appearance.

Are you on the new 2018.24 firmware or have you hacked your car to turn on the vector maps? Would it be possible that the hacked version doesn't have any acceleration turned on but the new firmware does? One can hope... ;)

Autopilot behaviour is still atrocious. Car want to pull violently to the left (RHD) at almost every side street and struggles through intersections. Was hoping 2018.24 would correct this behaviour introduced in 2018.21.9

But, the maps have a different feel and the POI labels all stay horizontal when the map rotates. No 45 degree or upside down descriptions.

Yes I've noticed that too. There are 4 or 5 side streets in my local area where I used to be able to use AP without issue and the car is now steering quite hard to the left (RHD - Australia) as if to take the corner, then changing its mind and correcting course. There was one incidence where AP actually disengaged, but maybe because I reacted quite strongly with steering input.

I did notice that the left lane marker line sometimes seems to follow partly around the corner into the side road, and I wonder if thats the trigger. Might try to gather a photo of a few to illustrate after work.

Anyone else noticed this behavior?

Reactions: Richard34212
Are you on the new 2018.24 firmware or have you hacked your car to turn on the vector maps? Would it be possible that the hacked version doesn't have any acceleration turned on but the new firmware does? One can hope... ;)
I got 2018.24 today on MCU1. No hacks involved.

Sorry I’m hopeful too. I just played with this for 10 minutes in a parking lot. Hopefully as I drive with it / use it more I will have a more mature opinion of this update.

Just got it

IMG_0307.JPG

Please, people, the release notes were already posted on the very first page.

No no. The whole point of TMC is for every person who falls into any of the following categories to post about it:

• Hasn’t yet gotten the update
  • Went to SC, update notification on phone, waiting to install later
  • Away on trip, got notification
  • Updated and installed but no time to drive and test but will post later
  • Release notes. Even if they’ve already been posted many times.
  • Updated. Drove. Had new experience not posted elsewhere. Actual useful information to share.
Sadly, the last bullet is about 15% of posts on each of these new FW threads :)

No no. The whole point of TMC is for every person who falls into any of the following categories to post about it:

• Hasn’t yet gotten the update
  • Went to SC, update notification on phone, waiting to install later
  • Away on trip, got notification
  • Updated and installed but no time to drive and test but will post later
  • Release notes. Even if they’ve already been posted many times.
  • Updated. Drove. Had new experience not posted elsewhere. Actual useful information to share.
Sadly, the last bullet is about 15% of posts on each of these new FW threads :)

Well, alas, I have not yet gotten the update. Good news is that I'm out of town and my car is at the SC. Wait- I just got the notification. I'll have to see what gets installed. Hmmm... actually, while I'm typing this it looks like the update has completed. I will have to drive it later and let everyone know what has transpired.

Make sure to post the release notes (preferably a low-resolution indecipherable version) and then type the text of the notes followed by a link to the Electrek article!

Well, alas, I have not yet gotten the update. Good news is that I'm out of town and my car is at the SC. Wait- I just got the notification. I'll have to see what gets installed. Hmmm... actually, while I'm typing this it looks like the update has completed. I will have to drive it later and let everyone know what has transpired.

Ok on my drive home, new Vector Maps on MCU1 impressions:

Performance:
- Definitely slower than before when panning, zooming, and scrolling, but it's not as bad as I initially thought. The frame rate is frankly 15fps or worse but still tolerable.
- It definitely still "tiles" in vector tiles block by block. The blocks seem a little larger than before but take longer to load. In fact, the MCU1 performance bogs way down as a new tile is being fetched
- Traffic appears to draw slightly faster

Aesthetics:
- The gray water color seems depressing and not as nice as the classic blue look. Eh.
- When routing, the blue route marker has more clearly drawn traffic info overlaid on it.

Overall I think from a look-and-feel perspective it's a step up, but performance is overall worse compared to before. It's not awful, just definitely nowhere near snappy and worse than non-vector maps.

As a parent, I am glad to see that they are adding parental controls like absolute max speed. A more thorough implementation would have been to also set a limit relative to posted speed limits. ie Limits to: +10 mph. The fatal accident last month involving two teens hitting a wall in FL was estimated at 60mph in a 30mph zone.
You always embarrass me in front of my friends Dad!

Well, apparently there is a lot more stuff for Model 3 in 18.24 then for S/X

Model 3 US/Canada

With this release, Model 3 now connects to available Wi-Fi networks. Tap the LTE icon at the top of the touchscreen and select the network you want to join.

Also, added cabin overheat :
Cabin Overheat Protection:
When active, your vehicle prevents the interior temperature from exceeding 105F/40Cfor up to 12 hours after you exit your vehicle. This feature is turned on by default but can be disabled by tapping Controls > Safety & Security.
Cabin Overheat Protection stops operating when the battery energy level is 20% or less.

Driver Profiles Update - Model 3 - US CA
Whenever you adjust the driver seat, two additional shortcuts will appear in the Driver Profiles drop-down. This allows you to quickly change the position of your steering wheel and side mirrors.
Moreover, the climate control settings are now included in the features saved with your Driver Profile.

And if you have Autopilot:
Model 3 can now be summoned in and out of narrow parking spaces using the mobile app. To enable this feature, tap Controls >> Autopilot >>Summon. To learn how to initiate, cancel, and customize Summon, refer to the Owner’s Manual.

For S/X they added another language options: Spanish (If you're in Mexico it seems)

Spanish is now available as a language option for your vehicle. To choose Spanish, tap CONTROLS > Settings > Language & Units. When selected, the touchscreen will display in Spanish. Voice commands, navigation, and Media Player will respond to Spanish