Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24 baf6ebc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far everyone on MCU1 who has gotten this update also got vector maps. At least we haven't heard otherwise yet. So yes, but this is an extremely small rollout.
Yeah... but there is also another issue where Firmware and Map update seperately and supposedly Map only updates over Wi-Fi...

Some of us will struggle or not possible to have our cars connected to Wi-Fi.

Yeah... but there is also another issue where Firmware and Map update seperately and supposedly Map only updates over Wi-Fi...

Some of us will struggle or not possible to have our cars connected to Wi-Fi.

Correct. FWIW I'm one of those people who is only on wifi when I'm tethering during the day. I wasn't on wifi and got the vector maps. So it seems like it's tied to 2018.24, I presume that means they fixed some of the crashes and performance issues that rooted people were encountering when they hacked on vector maps on MCU1.

But really, don't get super excited about them quite yet. As I mentioned, it's kind of a mixed bag. I was genuinely excited by the new Tesla Navigation and it still continues to rank #1 or #2 on my list of favorite things to happen to my Tesla (it's competing with 2018.10.4/Karpathy's neural net improvements). However, the switch to vector maps is really meh. I would not miss it if it disappeared tomorrow.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
But really, don't get super excited about them quite yet. As I mentioned, it's kind of a mixed bag. I was genuinely excited by the new Tesla Navigation and it still continues to rank #1 or #2 on my list of favorite things to happen to my Tesla (it's competing with 2018.10.4/Karpathy's neural net improvements). However, the switch to vector maps is really meh. I would not miss it if it disappeared tomorrow.

You have mentioned upthread that performance was pretty laggy when doing pinch, scroll, and rotate operations. I'm guessing you were referring to when you were manipulating the map on the screen. How's the performance when you're actually driving...e.g. when you turn does the map do a reasonably good job of turning with you? (Obviously I'm not asking you to do a bunch of turns while staring at the screen!)

Bruce.

You have mentioned upthread that performance was pretty laggy when doing pinch, scroll, and rotate operations. I'm guessing you were referring to when you were manipulating the map on the screen. How's the performance when you're actually driving...e.g. when you turn does the map do a reasonably good job of turning with you? (Obviously I'm not asking you to do a bunch of turns while staring at the screen!)

Bruce.

I only briefly tested the compass heading mode (I usually prefer north-up because I find the constant map movement disorienting). It’s around 5-10fps or so. Like it’s choppy but acceptable. It certainly is not smooth the way the new IC maps are smooth.

But I do like how the text labels rotate; and sometimes when the right tiles are cached, you can see street labels fade in and out as you zoom.

I will try to do some videos of this but unfortunately that’s not my forte and I definitely don’t want to attempt any driving-while-recording behavior!

It definitely looks like 2018.24 had been retracted, thanks for the confirmation. I noticed there were still more 2018.21.9 rolling out than 2018.24.

Perhaps the MCU1 switch to vector maps was not intentional. I kind of hope so since we just got the upgraded GPU rendering in MCU1 that results in smooth rendering of the map, prior to that it was like 5-10 FPS that it sounds like this update returns it to.

Perhaps the MCU1 switch to vector maps was not intentional. I kind of hope so since we just got the upgraded GPU rendering in MCU1 that results in smooth rendering of the map, prior to that it was like 5-10 FPS that it sounds like this update returns it to.

I honestly feel like that's not realistic or surprising. Vector maps do tend to be both more RAM and GPU intensive compared to shoving a bunch of JPEG tiles together. Sure on new hardware with the right acceleration support (and enough texture memory to deal with a vector-based mapping strategy), vector maps are hands-down a win.

If the additional RAM and CPU usage associated with rendering vector maps doesn't cause the rest of MCU1 to become sluggish, I'm a happy camper already.

Sorry I just clicked that button for fun.

I guess now that this is a pulled update we can just dork around without the mods getting mad, right? :D
LOL! Yea, accept it adds-up in your profile after a while and could start to make someone look like they don't know what they're talking about. :eek:

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 11.53.47 PM.png

@OnBass , how in the world do you "DISAGREE" with me simply posting some pictures and the details about how I took those pictures??? What exactly are you disagreeing with???
I have no idea what this is about and why my name is associated with it. Probably a scrolling mistake, and I removed it. Haven't read this thread..so you can delete your post with my name on it. Thanks
@OnBass , how in the world do you "DISAGREE" with me simply posting some pictures and the details about how I took those pictures??? What exactly are you disagreeing with???

Reactions: JohnnyG