Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.26 3bbd9fd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update this morning. So far I've noticed that autopilot lags too long from red light when car in front moves. It's smoother, better and generally miracle of modern engineering but the person behind me at the red light feeling slightly awkward has caused me to change my Buttershrimp Financial Recommendation from Buy to Sell as I see this glitch as a harbinger for a colossal failure and implosion of Tesla Stock.

Sell sell sell.

Got the update this morning. So far I've noticed that autopilot lags too long from red light when car in front moves. It's smoother, better and generally miracle of modern engineering but the person behind me at the red light feeling slightly awkward has caused me to change my Buttershrimp Financial Recommendation from Buy to Sell as I see this glitch as a harbinger for a colossal failure and implosion of Tesla Stock.

Sell sell sell.
Jokes aside, pretty awesome update....
1) improves accuracy of ultrasonics whilst parking down on display
2) shows 3 Cars in front of you at times!
3) really impressive lane keeping on twists and crests, hard pressed to imagine AP1 beating it on this front, also drives much more human... I don’t think another car would be able to recognize I’m on autopilot on twisty streets while driving next to me
4). Smoother representation of adjacent lane cars

The bigest change in AP behavior I’ve noticed in 2018.26 is that when driving in the far right hand lane and reaching the end of a merging onramp to my right where the IC suddenly displays a wider lane, autosteer no longer seems to immediately move to the center of the temporarily “wider” set of lane markings. Instead it tries to maintain its position, following the left line.
Prior to this version it was almost universally veering to the right, often forcing a takeover when a car was near my blind spot on the onramp.
This fixes an annoying issue that appeared several updates ago. I forget which version it first appeared in.
Here is an example:
C772F588-9EC9-47F5-BFF3-44738CF17926.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari and DanZiz
The bigest change in AP behavior I’ve noticed in 2018.26 is that when driving in the far right hand lane and reaching the end of a merging onramp to my right where the IC suddenly displays a wider lane, autosteer no longer seems to immediately move to the center of the temporarily “wider” set of lane markings. Instead it tries to maintain its position, following the left line.
Prior to this version it was almost universally veering to the right, often forcing a takeover when a car was near my blind spot on the onramp.
This fixes an annoying issue that appeared several updates ago. I forget which version it first appeared in.
Here is an example:
View attachment 320301
I had to look twice! I was thinking, oh crap, he's about to hit that semi! Disengage AP, disengage AP!

I got this version over the weekend. The car got into a weird state afterwards and I had a to reboot both screens a few times before it was drivable. I noticed the main screen maps are different, but that's the only thing that seems different.

The car will continue to work. You won't have the latest features and bug fixes, but there are cars out there with very old versions of firmware. I know when the instrument cluster changed there were some people with pre-AP cars who chose not to update because they didn't like the changes for the older cars.

There are also a number of salvaged title cars on the road that Tesla won't support anymore that have over the air updates disabled. There is a cottage industry in manually updating these cars, but some go for long periods with no updates.

Unless Tesla is implementing some feature you really don't like, there is little reason not to update IMO.

I'm sure this is a benefit, but it's very easy to use version numbers (lay down a tag in github, for example). I suspect it has more to do with obfuscating the development process - when version numbers are used, lots of forums like this one descend into numerology (how many versions since the last release? is it a major or minor release?).

As long as they don't start calling releases "Startled Panda" etc, I'm good :)
The point is, WE don't need the hashcode. :D When it's released, it shouldn't be included. It wasn't until the middle of last year, I believe, and all of a sudden we started getting this 'internal number', to the confusion of the SC's and users.

I don't want to OT this thread, but wanted to make that clear.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Just out of curiosity, what happens if I don't update?? Will it automatically do the update itself or will it shut down the car at a certain point till I complete the update??

You become dated, the longer you go without updating, you’ll find yourself using slang from the 90’s and eventually, the car will start playing the theme song from Friends whenever you get into the car.

Here is an example:
<image>
Thanks for reporting this observation! What you're describing sounds like the kind of behavior change that could have helped to prevent the fatal "gore point" accident that was likely experienced by Mr. Huang.

Nobody wants death and injury to be the main driver behind "product" improvements and enhancements, but the aviation industry is a perfect example of "learn from your mistakes, so at the very least they don't happen in the same way ever again." Aviation now has a stellar record (Thanks, Mr. President!!!!1111 /s) and I think a LOT of it has to do with how they incorporate information learned from accidents into training, design, and behavior.

Reactions: d21mike
Its telling to stop or you will hit that red plant. And by the way, stop sign says pots.
Man, look out the right of the front window and not the reverse screen you crazy kids.... and if you doubt me, go home, pick up a mother fing potted fern and place that shiiiid in front of your car! Then watch in amazement as your car senses that shrub

Thanks for reporting this observation! What you're describing sounds like the kind of behavior change that could have helped to prevent the fatal "gore point" accident that was likely experienced by Mr. Huang.

Nobody wants death and injury to be the main driver behind "product" improvements and enhancements, but the aviation industry is a perfect example of "learn from your mistakes, so at the very least they don't happen in the same way ever again." Aviation now has a stellar record (Thanks, Mr. President!!!!1111 /s) and I think a LOT of it has to do with how they incorporate information learned from accidents into training, design, and behavior.
I don’t think this is related to that particular behavior.
I’m fairly certain that this new behavior actually occurred in and update subsequent to that horrific accident. It was included in an update that dramatically improved AP (Possibly 2018.14), however this was an odd side effect. I actually thought that it was possible that this behavior was learned from data accumulated from Tesla drivers.
I felt as if my car was being a bit of a jerk by merging right to cut off merging traffic from onramps.