Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2018.26 3bbd9fd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This particular shrubbery was not dense, it was wispy. And I maintain the detail is different compared to .24.... there are changes in display smoothness and representation of other vehicles on .26

Anyone who doesn’t notice this is clearly a Tesla Short

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
I don’t think this is related to that particular behavior.
I’m fairly certain that this new behavior actually occurred in and update subsequent to that horrific accident. It was included in an update that dramatically improved AP (Possibly 2018.14), however this was an odd side effect. I actually thought that it was possible that this behavior was learned from data accumulated from Tesla drivers.
I felt as if my car was being a bit of a jerk by merging right to cut off merging traffic from onramps.
The dramatically improved AP was 2018.10.4 release around March 14th. The centering of the lane (I think) happened in that update. I remember thinking at the time about the gore point accident (March 23rd) is that the person may have been on the new version because that is what it was doing. Anyway, I have not tested this myself but if true and done well I believe this will be a very big improvement.

I’m
Definitely agree IC displays vehicles more accurately and smoothly but I don't see the shrubbery.
You have to experience the shrubbery sensing abilities in person to understand the magnificence of the ultrasonic sensitivity. I highly recommend finding a fern or a gardenia and slowly rolling up on that plant. You haven't lived until you've parked near shrubs.

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
I’m

You have to experience the shrubbery sensing abilities in person to understand the magnificence of the ultrasonic sensitivity. I highly recommend finding a fern or a gardenia and slowly rolling up on that plant. You haven't lived until you've parked near shrubs.

I got the update yesteday and have a tomato plant at home, that work?

Took my Model S in to get windows tinted yesterday. When I went to pick it up, I panicked because the screens were dead. Wouldn’t respond to anything. I’m thinking, “what the f.... did these guys do to my car?” Turns out, it was in the middle of installing 2018.26, which I had earlier scheduled for that afternoon.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
The car will continue to work. You won't have the latest features and bug fixes

Unless Tesla is implementing some feature you really don't like, there is little reason not to update IMO.

You also won't have all the new "features" that make the car unusable, like 30-second AP nags, and you will still have features you like and depend on that the updates take away.

I recommend NOT updating UNLESS there is a feature you specifically want and don't yet have, or you know an update fixes a bug that bugs you, and you have waited long enough and read the forums to know no new major bugs were introduced or features changed in a way you wouldn't like. I am still happiy on 7.1 and have AP without frequent nags, maps that are easier to read, and traffic status that updates correctly.

The bigest change in AP behavior I’ve noticed in 2018.26 is that when driving in the far right hand lane and reaching the end of a merging onramp to my right where the IC suddenly displays a wider lane, autosteer no longer seems to immediately move to the center of the temporarily “wider” set of lane markings.

For me, it's maybe slightly improved with .26, but definitely still happening. The very first time I got on the highway, right lane, approaching an onramp, the temporary wider lane centering happened pretty much the same as usual. I'm guessing it depends on the road.

And I think exits got worse - I'm getting a little bit of steering movement towards exits quite a bit, even when well marked.

But agree with folks who have mentioned distance keeping and braking are improved. I'm not sure I'd call it dramatically better, but definitely a welcome improvement.

Auto wipers seem to have gotten less sensitive to rain for me. Even on high sensitivity, I have to manually swipe or turn it to on low.

And anyone else having strange problems with auto brightness? It seems to go a little crazy trying to adjust now...too bright, too dim, bad timing. Mainly when there is a brief but moderate change in the light level.

For me, it's maybe slightly improved with .26, but definitely still happening. The very first time I got on the highway, right lane, approaching an onramp, the temporary wider lane centering happened pretty much the same as usual. I'm guessing it depends on the road.

And I think exits got worse - I'm getting a little bit of steering movement towards exits quite a bit, even when well marked.

But agree with folks who have mentioned distance keeping and braking are improved. I'm not sure I'd call it dramatically better, but definitely a welcome improvement.

Auto wipers seem to have gotten less sensitive to rain for me. Even on high sensitivity, I have to manually swipe or turn it to on low.

And anyone else having strange problems with auto brightness? It seems to go a little crazy trying to adjust now...too bright, too dim, bad timing. Mainly when there is a brief but moderate change in the light level.

I got .26 yesterday and the first thing I thought had changed was the maps. Then I realized the brightness was just more dim than usual. So, you aren’t alone there.

The release notes for 2018.26 3bbd9fd show up as completely empty for me. Tapping the center "T" and then "Release Notes" just brings up a blank white pane. I guess that means there are no user-visible changes. :rolleyes:

Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence insofar as attention to details and best practices, eh?

Anyone with AP1 see improvements or at least no degradation in performance over hills and crests?

And for the entire pink cannoli, any change in frequency of phantom braking events with AP2?

Asking for a friend who’s off tending to their huge tracts of land.

Oh, and with regard to shrubbery, the only thang that comes to mind is a hearty rejoinder of....

Ni!

For me, it's maybe slightly improved with .26, but definitely still happening.

The rain sensing wiper program needs a little more development; it seems to be rather erratic. A slight mist and they come on every 3 seconds, harder rain and they don't come on often enough. But the worst part which had me turn them off and manually use the button ever since was when they decided to come on from too many bugs I suspect and smear 1000 sticky guts all over the windscreen which made driving safely impossible.

Please Tesla, just copy what BMW is doing with their rain sensing wipers; the Mini Cooper we previously owned had it working so much better.

Last edited:
The bigest change in AP behavior I’ve noticed in 2018.26 is that when driving in the far right hand lane and reaching the end of a merging onramp to my right where the IC suddenly displays a wider lane, autosteer no longer seems to immediately move to the center of the temporarily “wider” set of lane markings. Instead it tries to maintain its position, following the left line.
Prior to this version it was almost universally veering to the right, often forcing a takeover when a car was near my blind spot on the onramp.
This fixes an annoying issue that appeared several updates ago. I forget which version it first appeared in.
Here is an example:
View attachment 320301
I was really hoping this would be true where I drive. I mostly drive on surface streets where the right lane can sometimes doubles in size and then comes back to a single lane while creating an addition lane. Anyway, every place I drive where this happens it has not changed. It will still center in the larger lane and then jump back into the single lane when a new lane is created. Really wish it would not do that.

I may have missed this in the thread but it seems like the "Dolby sound" is broken again in this update. The last one or two updates fixed it such that it typically sounded better with Dolby on. Anyone else notice this?

I have the premium sound system and coming from 2018.24.1