Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.28.5 377ec8b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I had not received the new update. I was still on 2018.28.5.

Well, when I went back out to my car, I realized I had not tried a reset. I hit the top buttons on either side of the steering wheel and I sweated sitting there for a minute or so waiting for my driver profile to activate. Sure enough, shortly after my seat moved, the IC came back to life... whew. I did get the notification that an update was ready shortly after I got home (and Twyla connected to her AP). I just installed 2018.32.4, the first non-AP on EV-FW.com to register this one.

Reactions: camthehombre
Got this update on my 2014 pre-autopilot S last night. Web browser no longer works at all, even after rebooting. I already miss Tesla Waze. Sent a bug report but I've never know where those go.

Browser started working again a couple days later. Also heard back from Tesla today, they were aware of a few cases where the browser would take over a day to finish updating or something to that effect.

No, I had not received the new update. I was still on 2018.28.5.

Well, when I went back out to my car, I realized I had not tried a reset. I hit the top buttons on either side of the steering wheel and I sweated sitting there for a minute or so waiting for my driver profile to activate. Sure enough, shortly after my seat moved, the IC came back to life... whew. I did get the notification that an update was ready shortly after I got home (and Twyla connected to her AP). I just installed 2018.32.4, the first non-AP on EV-FW.com to register this one.
is it still rebooting on 20108.32.4 ???

So far, no restart while driving, but I have driven less than 10 miles. I will update. One note, the PIN to Drive feature is there in 2018.32.4. Interesting. I activated, saw that it works, deactivated. I have stories of stolen key fob (or hacking by someone pirating the signals) and stolen cars. Seems like a simple fix for those at high risk. Not so much risk of that in Middle Tennessee... yet.

So I just called customer support (over a 20m wait to speak to someone, why don't they have a callback feature??) and they told me as far as they knew there wasn't a fix for this yet and that once one becomes available they will be patching the affected cars as quickly as possible. When I mentioned @tpedwards (not by name, but their situation calling in and getting a new FW pushed) the customer service person said he couldn't do that for me because none of the later firmwares so far fix the issue and they don't want to push later FWs to my car that could cause even more issues. Gotta love that CONSISTENCY. :rolleyes:

So I just called customer support (over a 20m wait to speak to someone, why don't they have a callback feature??) ...
OTS: They used to have a callback feature, but for whatever reason, people weren't getting callbacks (I was one of those people, on multiple occasions). I didn't know they got rid of it, but honestly, that's better than never being called back, I suppose..

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
So far, no restart while driving, but I have driven less than 10 miles. I will update. One note, the PIN to Drive feature is there in 2018.32.4. Interesting. I activated, saw that it works, deactivated. I have stories of stolen key fob (or hacking by someone pirating the signals) and stolen cars. Seems like a simple fix for those at high risk. Not so much risk of that in Middle Tennessee... yet.
Update. I’m still getting IC restarts while driving. To top it off, my windshield wipers stopped working. No response at all whether turning the stalk all the way to manual high or pressing in the end of the stalk - nothing.

I've just (two days ago) got 28.5. Today, I've discovered that media center doesn't work - the last selected FM station plays. but I can't switch to any other (Favorites list is grayed out), Spotify gives me only spinning wheel. Reboot did not help. F**ck

Just to wrap up, series of power offs and restarts made it work again. The last one was 4-key "big" reset but I'm not sure it mattered.

Just to wrap up, series of power offs and restarts made it work again. The last one was 4-key "big" reset but I'm not sure it mattered.
What is the 4-key reset?

Only resets I know are "2 keys" via: Model X Reset Techniques

Center Display
Press and hold both scroll buttons for a few seconds. Center console display will turn black and reboot.​
Instrument Cluster
Press and hold both of the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. IC display will turn black and reboot.​
Power Off/Reset
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.​
Vehicle Stuck in Park
Have all passengers exit Model X for 2 minutes with doors closed. Re-enter vehicle. Use Power Off/Reset Technique above. Wait 2 minutes, start vehicle again.​

4 fingers reset is when you perform Central Display and Instrument Cluster resets at the same time, therefore you have to press and hold 4 fingers at the same time on scroll buttons + top buttons.
See How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong
It's pushing brake pedal and holding the 4 buttons for 30+ seconds
Thanks. Hmm ... are the source of these from a knowledgeable Tesla tech (don't mean to side track, I will search around) ... you have to wonder if there is any difference between just doing each CD and IC reset separately or all four. Perhaps one of the 'triggers' is have/keeping foot on the brake. I actually had a problem with not being able to open my drivers door from the inside and the on-line tech had me do the 2-finger IC reset but put/keep my foot on the brake. Aside: This posters timing test indicate not diff in brake vs non-brake and concluded there's no difference. "Hard" reboot... nonsense, right?

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this comes from.
The problem got resolved only temporally, it's back. Looks like it's connected either to LTE or Spotify - today, after a while of "spinner", I got Spotify login failed. I guess I'll need to wait for next update to see if it gets resolved.

I've just (two days ago) got 28.5. Today, I've discovered that media center doesn't work - the last selected FM station plays. but I can't switch to any other (Favorites list is grayed out), Spotify gives me only spinning wheel. Reboot did not help. F**ck
Yes, I have the same problem except that a reboot let me use the buttons on the screen until such time as I pressed any of the LH buttons on the steering wheel; as soon as I did that, the screen buttons died. My SC has been working on the problem; the engineer says he thinks the buttons need replacing but I think the coincidence with the new firmware indicates strongly that it's not a hardware problem. I will update as and when.