Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.28.5 377ec8b

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nags directly proportional to dumb stuff that folks do with autopilot.
Recent incidents, dumb videos, weights on wheels and all that junk inevitably increase nag levels.

Perhaps neural networks can be trained to recognise this and reduce the nags for responsible users

FSD though by definition shouldn't need regular nags, there is hope, but we will have to see.

Nags directly proportional to dumb stuff that folks do with autopilot.
Recent incidents, dumb videos, weights on wheels and all that junk inevitably increase nag levels.

Perhaps neural networks can be trained to recognise this and reduce the nags for responsible users

FSD though by definition shouldn't need regular nags, there is hope, but we will have to see.

I’m not convinced there truly is a correlation between overt recklessness and Autopilot crashes. The last two fatalities, the main culprit was inattentiveness in the last 6-10 seconds before impact.

Reactions: outdoors and croman
I'm on .26 vanilla and I've seen 5 cars on my left and right and 3 in front. Depends on traffic density and camera angle and your speed. 10mph in dense traffic brings lots of IC eye candy.

Big whoop. I can see all those vehicles with my own eyes. It's the ones I can't see that are important. Funny how Tesla has ignored all of those.

I’m not convinced there truly is a correlation between overt recklessness and Autopilot crashes. The last two fatalities, the main culprit was inattentiveness in the last 6-10 seconds before impact.

Agreed, but at a point can't inattentiveness become overt reckless if one understands what the car is not capable of?

Example:
I have been told time and time again to hold the wheel and be ready to take control at any time, but each time I gamble for a bit more.....then the 6-10 seconds just happens to be the 6-10 where it counts and I am not paying attention.

Different twist:

I can drive expected while putting on makeup 99 times out of a 100 while holding the wheel with knee. I have avoided accidents many times, but bad stuff hasn't happened yet till today.

I would imagine if the second of the two was presented to a jury where a death was caused to someone other than onself.....Well I wouldn't want to be telling that on the stand.

This example could be both types of cars. AP or no AP like systems. Not overt reckless, but where death or grave injury occurs to others I would say it is. The most recent cases are driver fatalities.

Example of the women that I believe hit a police car. Wonder what would have happened to the driver in that case if she was driving a non AP like car and an injury occurred. Would she get the same slap on the wrist if she was doing something other than not paying attention to AP.

Sorry to dive into the weeds on that. Oh and I don't wear makeup.

Must be going wide.
Got the notification for both of our cars within nine hours of each other
Got the notification for our 2018 Model S 100D (MCU2) last night at 10:54PM PST.
Installation of 2018.28.5 from 2018.26 was uneventful.
Got a notification for our 2018 Model 3 LR RWD at 7:48AM PST this morning.
It was already on 1018.28.1.
Seems like something stalled for a while after installation completed.
App still showed 1018.28.1.
Screen was frozen & unresponsive. Alert box stated:
“Update completed, checking status”
If this happens to you, just be patient and wait it out.
After, about 10 minutes or so later, I got a notification from the app that the installation was complete. Now both cars are on 2018.28.5!
The entire process was less than 27 minutes.
9CE63033-3B12-4435-A394-A134D7D7237A.jpeg

it does tend to make easily distracted, lazy, inattentive folk even more so. And since product liability reg's are so plaintiff oriented now - manufacturers are practically required to make things idiot proof ... so we have competing interests.

Installed 2018.28.5 today and immediately after had yellow-ish bars running around my 17" display. Predominantly on the top and right sides, but pretty much all the way around the outside. Same in Day or Night mode and at any brightness level. A re-boot did nothing to correct it. I could also swear the display color, especially on the center dash looks "warmer" kind of like how Night Mode on a phone or PC cuts back the amount of blue light. If this discoloration is not related to firmware, it is one hell of a coincidence.

20180817_172157452_iOS.jpg

Installed 2018.28.5 today and immediately after had yellow-ish bars running around my 17" display. Predominantly on the top and right sides, but pretty much all the way around the outside. Same in Day or Night mode and at any brightness level. A re-boot did nothing to correct it. I could also swear the display color, especially on the center dash looks "warmer" kind of like how Night Mode on a phone or PC cuts back the amount of blue light. If this discoloration is not related to firmware, it is one hell of a coincidence.

View attachment 326544
The yellow border is a hardware issue... Many of us have had the screen replaced under warrantee as it is ugly, and may get worse. Some of the early screens also leaked glue out of the bottom, but I don't know if the newer ones do that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Safari and croman
The yellow border is a hardware issue... Many of us have had the screen replaced under warrantee as it is ugly, and may get worse. Some of the early screens also leaked glue out of the bottom, but I don't know if the newer ones do that.
I too had the yellow border 'suddenly'; but I guess it's just that one starts noticing it, it seems to be there more prominent :)
Perhaps it is some kind of glue for the touch-screen, that goes yellow during warm/hot days, which is why I started seeing it in this hot and lengthy summer (Europe)?

Must be going wide.
Got the notification for both of our cars within nine hours of each other
Got the notification for our 2018 Model S 100D (MCU2) last night at 10:54PM PST.
Installation of 2018.28.5 from 2018.26 was uneventful.
Got a notification for our 2018 Model 3 LR RWD at 7:48AM PST this morning.
It was already on 1018.28.1.
Seems like something stalled for a while after installation completed.
App still showed 1018.28.1.
Screen was frozen & unresponsive. Alert box stated:
“Update completed, checking status”
If this happens to you, just be patient and wait it out.
After, about 10 minutes or so later, I got a notification from the app that the installation was complete. Now both cars are on 2018.28.5!
The entire process was less than 27 minutes.
View attachment 326495
Update...
More of a coincidence that both cars got updated within nine hours of each other.

As it turns out the update for the Model 3 was intentionally pushed to it this morning by the mobile tech who was scheduled to take care of a minor issue this afternoon.
He told me that he pushed it even though it was only slightly out of date.
He said that is now standard practice before arriving for mobile appointment. Cool! :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban