TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Update 2018.34

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nemSoma, Sep 1, 2018.

1. nemSoma

nemSoma Member

Hey everyone,

I seem to be the first to get this new version
    It is still not 9.0, sorry to disappoint you guys :(

Size is 930 MiB (for MCU1, without APE)
    Code:
    develop/2018.34 #46437 (b4c2b9a on 2018-08-28) Built: 2018-08-29

Attached Files:

• Informative x 7
  2. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Nice! PIN to drive feature sounds cool. I guess it means i can turn back on the passive entry mode.

• Like x 1
  3. saniflash

saniflash Member

EU Model S. Update last night. Release Notes page was totally empty.

4. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Not new whatsoever but still drinking the KoolAid I suppose? :)

@nemSoma can you please drive around and tell us whether AP exhibited any improvements?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

He’s AP1 per his screenshot so I think if you have any more of that kool aid left, keep sipping until an ap2 user reports in!

(He also seems to be able to get that full version tag so we can hope the car is rooted and we can learn more about what AP2 specific changes might be there)

• Funny x 4
  6. nemSoma

nemSoma Member

#6 nemSoma, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    The car I installed it to in particular is pre-AP.
    I have access to full release notes (so I should see all new features despite my car's configuration) and literally the only thing is PIN to drive.
    As this is probably the last release of 8.1 it kind of makes sense that they didn't blast us with dozens of new stuff and improvements, I hope they are concentrating on that 9.0 release.

And by the way if I recall correctly, 8.0 was released with the week 36 release so I think we can expect 9.0 to be released also with this year's .36 release

• Informative x 1
  7. drklain

drklain Member

Not quite. I posted about it Software Update 2018.32.4 last night.
    Mods - Don't care which way you do it, but recommend merging these two threads to avoid confusion...

• Disagree x 2
  8. nemSoma

nemSoma Member

#8 nemSoma, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    That is 2018.32.4, this is 2018.34
    When I started this thread there was nothing about it on TMC or TeslaFi (since then 2 cars reported having this version)
    I think you were confused by the .34 release notes which also had the PIN to Drive feature like in .32.4

• Like x 3
  9. drklain

drklain Member

Youre right. I messed up my post. Software I was posting about was 34.4 (which is what I installed yesterday). I mis-labeled it as 32.4 but there is no way to edit the post or topic heading...

10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

You can put out the Batsignal to the mods. Report your post as being made by a drooling fool that typed the wrong version number and could use a little special help correcting the title. ;) If it's really important to clarity they will usually touch it up.

• Like x 2
  11. nemSoma

nemSoma Member

I have trustable information that there is no such thing as 34.4 so I don't know what you're talking about.
    Of course I might be wrong

• Like x 1
  12. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Not sure what use this feature has. Just got it today on my AP1 car. Took all of 10 mins to install the update.

13. DJP31

DJP31 Member

In Europe particularly Tesla’s are being stolen by thieves amplifying the key fob signal. Many owners have disabled Passive Entry as a consequence. This update means PE can be re-enabled and even if thieves did target the car whilst they could open it they wouldn’t be able to drive the car because of the PIN.

If this type of theft isn’t an issue in your region then no need to enable the feature. It’s another example of the power of the OTA updates we enjoy.

• Like x 1
  14. arubinst

arubinst Member

Interesting... this seems to be a very rare update.

There are only 2 cars listed in teslafi since yesterday and it hasn’t changed. There’s one in ev-fw.

• Like x 1
  15. ChrML

ChrML Member

Just curious, since the thefts are done by amplifying the FOB signal so the car still thinks it's talking directly to the FOB, but instead it talks with the same FOB only a bit further away and amplified:

How can an additional layer of encryption solve this problem? The car is still talking to the same FOB, and the middleman is not altering the signal.

16. DJP31

DJP31 Member

Many owners disabled Passive Entry which is the surest way to defeat amplification attacks (FRID pouch is another but not always 100% successful). The car can then only be opened by double clicking the fob (or the phone app), and unless you were quick about it needed another double click before ‘starting’ the car.

However, PE is a great convenience function, so having the PIN option means PE can be enabled but, crucially, if a thief amplifies the signal whilst they can gain access to the car they can’t start it and drive away.

It doesn’t solve the problem as such, but provides a excellent work around. Something no other manufacturer seems able to do.

17. pp61

pp61 Active Member

As of next year.cars in the Netherlands with passive key system only cannot be insured anymore due to the increased amplifier skills of car thiefs. .

18. DJP31

DJP31 Member

There would be a national outcry if the insurance industry suddenly tried to impose that on the UK market. Do you have a source for that information?

19. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

I was email directly by my Insurer Direct Line (i am in the UK) specifically about disabling passive entry. I can only assume so that they can absolve themselves from a claim as 'they told me to turn it off' so I have for now.

• Informative x 1
  20. DarioBrussels

DarioBrussels Member

How did you manage to get those screenshots? Any tool that we can use?

• Informative x 1