Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.36.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Someone else may have helped you by now, but in the event they have not....

The parking brake is electric (as you probably know). In order to release it if you can't get to the Tesla screen to push the "tow mode" button, you will have to disconnect the wire terminal that goes to each brake caliper and apply a 12V signal to activate the little electric motor and back the brake pads off the rotor.

You will have to remove each of the wheels. You don't have to raise the car more than a few inches to get the wheel off, so you certainly should have the clearance to do that. Be sure your jack is centered on the lifting pad along the side rail of the body. If the jack is on the base of the battery pack it could do immense damage.

The terminal for the calipers is in back of the caliper assembly. You can reach around the caliper and depress the tab in the center of the terminal to pull the plug out. You might need a mirror to see the plug.

After you have removed the plug you will see two prongs inside the female portion of the terminal. Using a battery charger or other 12V source, apply power to those prongs. If the motors clamps the pads tighter then reverse the 12V wires and the motor will open the pads. It will stay in the position you leave it ( in this case, off)
so the wheels will roll free.

Put the wheels back on and you're ready to go.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaphaphooey
Updated to 2018.36.2 from 2018.34.1 this morning. Had this scary moment yesterday where my car was driving while "off" and warning alarms sounded, then the whole thing crashed/rebooted. Anyone else experience this?
My Tesla Is Broken on Twitter

Update after update my Model S works fine.

But then again I've driven my Camaro in Park before. Also had the HUD die on that one.
A Dodge Daytona I had way back in the day was a steaming pile that had too much to list.
My Wife's Ford Edge wouldn't start without turning the wheel & the Cabin filled with Water due to poor Drain Management system for rain. Same year Mustang had same Water in Cabin Problem.
I've also had many good GM Vehicles and still do. But Wife's 2nd and Current Caddy is a Buggy Beast that has "Nothing Wrong with it" according to the Service Center Computer.

Based on Your Name here and on Twitter + a 2nd Tesla after your 1st one had 13 Service Center Visits... and this one is a lemon as well...
Not buying it...

Last edited:
Update after update my Model S works fine.

But then again I've driven my Camaro in Park before. Also had the HUD die on that one.
A Dodge Daytona I had way back in the day was a steaming pile that had too much to list.
My Wife's Ford Edge wouldn't start without turning the wheel & the Cabin filled with Water due to poor Drain Management system for rain. Same year Mustang had same Water in Cabin Problem.
I've also had many good GM Vehicles and still do. But Wife's 2nd and Current Caddy is a Buggy Beast that has "Nothing Wrong with it" according to the Service Center Computer.

Based on Your Name here and on Twitter + a 2nd Tesla after your 1st one had 13 Service Center Visits... and this one is a lemon as well...
Not buying it...

Not buying what? How could I fake a video like that? Feel free to browse the media I've posted to @BrokenTesla, all of it is authentic. I continue to have constant issues with my Model S 100D, and I'm up to a total of 22 service visits with the 23rd happening this weekend. Tesla has been very supportive and responsive to my concerns, and they're currently investigating this new issue where the rear-view camera locked up, car was displayed as "off" while driving it, and both screens rebooted.

Not buying what? How could I fake a video like that? Feel free to browse the media I've posted to @BrokenTesla, all of it is authentic. I continue to have constant issues with my Model S 100D, and I'm up to a total of 22 service visits with the 23rd happening this weekend. Tesla has been very supportive and responsive to my concerns, and they're currently investigating this new issue where the rear-view camera locked up, car was displayed as "off" while driving it, and both screens rebooted.

Looks like you just rebooted your Screen & Started Recording for the Brief time before the screen came back up. Sorry but there's a lot of Fake News being spread by the Big 3 because they're too stupid to figure out how to get anywhere close to 300 mile Range, so they use Social Media and Our Easiliy Corruptable News to spread incorrect information to scare people away from the Electric Car that embarrasses them as they Strive for 200 mile range...

So if its real I apologize. But statistically I find it hard to believe your 1st Nightmare was replaced with a nightmare. How about some pics of your Service Records? Certainly you get one with every trip to the Service Center.... You should have close to 35 to show as proof...

2nd sign is you seem to post during Normal Working Hours... the time you get paid to make fake news perhaps??? You're 1st post at 8:01am the start of the work day?

Looks like you just rebooted your Screen & Started Recording for the Brief time before the screen came back up. Sorry but there's a lot of Fake News being spread by the Big 3 because they're too stupid to figure out how to get anywhere close to 300 mile Range, so they use Social Media and Our Easiliy Corruptable News to spread incorrect information to scare people away from the Electric Car that embarrasses them as they Strive for 200 mile range...

So if its real I apologize. But statistically I find it hard to believe your 1st Nightmare was replaced with a nightmare. How about some pics of your Service Records? Certainly you get one with every trip to the Service Center.... You should have close to 35 to show as proof...

2nd sign is you seem to post during Normal Working Hours... the time you get paid to make fake news perhaps??? You're 1st post at 8:01am the start of the work day?

seriously who registers with a SN of broken on both here and twitter?

Reactions: LargeHamCollider

I have had issues with my displays rebooting and displaying various warnings while driving. Turns out that it was my Android phone causing the problems. If the phone was plugged in and in its file sharing mode it caused havoc with the Tesla computer. If I changed its mode to charge only all the issues went away. This happened way back in version 21, I have not had the issues since so it appears newer updates have resolved that. Not saying this is the cause of anyone elses issues with the displays but it shows that even the most unlikely thing can cause unusual problems to crop up.

I had a mobile service technician yesterday who forces this 2018.36.2 to be installed on my P90D MX AP2.0.
He said this release includes a lot of Wifi and LTE connections issues fixes for all MCUs.

Strange, installed this today and on my drive home of 68 miles it kept loosing the LTE connection. Reboot the main screen manually and it would reinitialse, connect to LTE for just under 2 minutes and then disconnect. Wait 20 odd mins still no connection so reboot the main screen and again, reinitialise, connect to LTE for just under 2 minutes and drops again. Did this 4 times on way home all with same result. Get home and it connects to WiFi. Will check again over the next few days but definitely didn’t do this before this update. Was on 2018.28.5 before

4F301A8F-CD83-45D5-B4D8-D837EEBC6162.jpeg
Picked up my March 2017 MX from the service center today, where they loaded 36.2, and the entire way back home auto pilot wanted to hug or actually ride on the right hand lane markings on the freeway. Stopped and started AP many times, did the same thing every time. I took this picture. I’m waiting for a response from the service center on what could be the cause since I don’t see anyone else in this thread having the same issue

View attachment 338605 Picked up my March 2017 MX from the service center today, where they loaded 36.2, and the entire way back home auto pilot wanted to hug or actually ride on the right hand lane markings on the freeway. Stopped and started AP many times, did the same thing every time. I took this picture. I’m waiting for a response from the service center on what could be the cause since I don’t see anyone else in this thread having the same issue

Please schedule a service appointment for this! When it happened on my car, it was because the Autopilot cameras were misaligned and the software could not totally compensate. They ended up doing the manual camera calibration procedure which involved around 50 miles of driving. Ever since then, it's worked like a charm!

Please schedule a service appointment for this! When it happened on my car, it was because the Autopilot cameras were misaligned and the software could not totally compensate. They ended up doing the manual camera calibration procedure which involved around 50 miles of driving. Ever since then, it's worked like a charm!

Thank you for the reply. That could well be the case since it was at the service center for a new windshield and the cameras obviously were removed and re-added

View attachment 338605 Picked up my March 2017 MX from the service center today, where they loaded 36.2, and the entire way back home auto pilot wanted to hug or actually ride on the right hand lane markings on the freeway. Stopped and started AP many times, did the same thing every time. I took this picture. I’m waiting for a response from the service center on what could be the cause since I don’t see anyone else in this thread having the same issue

Yeah. Seems like a camera calibration issue.