Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I wasn't sure I wasn't just imaging it but that might be the case - that some recent release has blunted the regen, or I've gotten used to it? I feel like I'm using the brake more - or maybe because it's a Performance model, my right foot got heavier?
Anecdotal, but it def seems like less regen at higher speeds. Lower speeds seem the same to me with regards to coasting to a stop.

Somebody else on an older version said they aren’t seeing the stall info either, so likely an issue on the “server side” rather than firmware / car side.
Once I left the garage this morning and got out on the road it started showing the stall availability.

Could it be that it doesn't show them when connected to WiFi, but has to be on the Tesla LTE now? I know they've been really protective of this information.

Wow! You're right. After updating to 36.2 I don't see the stalls anymore either. I'm currently parked, so maybe it only shows now when you're on the road? Gotta be bug, cause that would be really terrible.

It's actually back now so weird, haven't even moved my car but just went back out to it earlier (as I like to just sit in it and listen to music like a loser) and it was showing them again!

However, my phone key on my S9+ almost never works now, I couldn't get it to work at all all day. It did lock the car when I walked away last but unlocking it I couldn't make work, even though the app showed connected. I rebooted my phone, the car, nothing would work. If I press unlock in the app it says it will remotely unlock the car. Maybe I should power the car down and back on just to be safe as I usually do that after an update even though I'm sure it already does that, but never know.

Last edited:
My Pixel 2 XL has never had issues as a key. I don't think it's failed to unlock once. Maybe I have magical Bluetooth... Summon connectivity is certainly spotty though. That successfully connects maybe 2 out of 3 attempts but if the current attempt is a fail, no amount of closing the app, reconnecting, etc will make it work.

I think my car tried to install this update twice. Both time failed. Now my car has the "Software update required" message. I can't engage EAP or TACC. Because of this, I scheduled service to get the update but it's not until 1.5 weeks. I'm hoping a third try at the update is pushed to my car before my service date.

Currently on 2018.34.2

Anecdotal, but it def seems like less regen at higher speeds. Lower speeds seem the same to me with regards to coasting to a stop.
Call me crazy, but the motor whine in my car seems to *sound* differently when using regen. :eek: It may be just my imagination, but regen braking feels less abrupt than before, not so much like driving a bumper car anymore. ;)

Also, I can see the Supercharger stalls again (they weren't showing this morning).

This seems like a false choice. So many other software developers manage to track changes. I think they could and should do both.
You can imagine that you could get release notes and not give up anything, but the world doesn't work that way. What you are giving up with "other software developers" is not known, but they're doing the release notes instead of something else useful even though you don't know what it might be.

Good release notes would be nice, but for me (and most others, judging by what gets complained about most) they're way, way down the list of desirable stuff from Tesla's software engineers.

My Pixel 2 XL has never had issues as a key. I don't think it's failed to unlock once. Maybe I have magical Bluetooth... Summon connectivity is certainly spotty though. That successfully connects maybe 2 out of 3 attempts but if the current attempt is a fail, no amount of closing the app, reconnecting, etc will make it work.

I've never had an issue with the phone key on my S9+ until this update, otherwise it has been 100%. It seems to have fixed itself though as I went out earlier and it opened right away and locked when I walked away.

I tried out 36.2 (up from 32.6). I noticed the extra lane lines and bigger battery symbol. But I also noticed the EAP seems slightly improved. It's hard to say specifically how. But there are sections of road where I knew auto-steer would fail normally, but now it seems to do better in those places. One specific thing I noticed is that when I engage EAP, it seems to center in the lane better. Previously, the car would jump to the edge of the lane like it wants to scrape my side mirror on the car in the next lane. Now it goes more where I would want it to go.

Update failed and now they scheduled a service appointment (they'll pickup and drop off a loaner). I feel like they should just push the update again (like I know better than the techs), but my cabin heater doesn't seem to heat anyway, so they can fix that and the frunk gaps while they're at it. Meanwhile the car seems to drive fine except for the failed update notification.

Update failed and now they scheduled a service appointment (they'll pickup and drop off a loaner). I feel like they should just push the update again (like I know better than the techs), but my cabin heater doesn't seem to heat anyway, so they can fix that and the frunk gaps while they're at it. Meanwhile the car seems to drive fine except for the failed update notification.

Have you had successful updates before or is this your first one? (I'm not sure it matters.) When I had my first update pushed to me, it failed to load, Tesla tried pushing two more times with no luck so they brought it to the SC. One of the modules in the car failed that had to be replaced - the OTA update was the trigger that stressed the module.

• Informative
Reactions: Dnssup
Have you had successful updates before or is this your first one? (I'm not sure it matters.) When I had my first update pushed to me, it failed to load, Tesla tried pushing two more times with no luck so they brought it to the SC. One of the modules in the car failed that had to be replaced - the OTA update was the trigger that stressed the module.
Sounds similar, this is my first update, came from 34.1 at delivery one week ago. Thanks for the note.

Updated from 32.6 to 36.2 on my Model 3 today - it appears the font line (on upper right screen) representing the exterior temperature etc., is in bold now, and more readable. However, the map shows buildings/properties at totally incorrect locations now. Resetting did not change anything.

My update to '36 failed too. So did my first update, to '34, but this time I have a red error notice "Software update required Contact Tesla Service". I can still put the car in D, and it charged normally overnight. The phone support tech didn't think it was urgent, and didn't say anything about pushing an update. Instead she said the car would check for an update in the next 24-48 hr, and I should keep it on wifi if possible.

My update to '36 failed too. So did my first update, to '34, but this time I have a red error notice "Software update required Contact Tesla Service". I can still put the car in D, and it charged normally overnight. The phone support tech didn't think it was urgent, and didn't say anything about pushing an update. Instead she said the car would check for an update in the next 24-48 hr, and I should keep it on wifi if possible.

My error wouldn't let me drive or charge the car anymore (and actually had to do a manual release just to remove the charge cord). Yours doesn't sound quite as urgent.