Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To bring it back on topic as well, my car pulled 576.49MB in the last 24 hours. So this is a very minor update.

Minor in terms of file size? Perhaps. I think I've read that past updates were of similar file size. But at least in my coding experience just a few tweaked lines of code can make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be a large download to introduce significant bug fixes and improvements.

2017 MS 100D and just noticed 2 instances where using it on local roads (gasp!) in an intersection (double gasp!) where it would previously cruise through without issue immediately threw up "Apply light force..." with white flashing and beeping, but interestingly, *not* the red hands of death "take over immediately." It's almost like it was trying to tell me, "Ayyo driver - my confidence level just plummeted; little help?"

General feeling on AP2 on the highway is that it feels "tweaked." Can't quite say for sure what's different about it, but it largely felt stable, solid, and confident, just... different. I have absolutely no hard data to back this up other than butt dyno, but didn't have any anomalies.

in my experience (I put ~80 miles on the 36.2 update today), it feels smoother. the cornering is more rounded, rather than taking sharp angles and ping ponging through a long sweeping curve. acceleration and regen/applying brakes, both to maintain speed and to maintain following distance feels way smoother than it has in the past. when you change to the left lane to overtake a car, the acceleration up to your set top speed is more gradual.

Minor in terms of file size? Perhaps. I think I've read that past updates were of similar file size. But at least in my coding experience just a few tweaked lines of code can make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be a large download to introduce significant bug fixes and improvements.

minor in the sense that it does seem to be only tweaks, and not, say, a complete revamp of the UI and EAP.

(I'm sure THAT push will be large)

Reactions: PoitNarf
I understand the limitations. Hence my comment re: 30 ft. I'm not talking about 4 feet. The point is that a frustratingly large-enough contingent of Tesla owners do actually park but not charge, and Tesla currently can do nothing about this. They need to figure out how to charge those folks, too.

This is a better argument against the idea.

They could at least start by counting the car as idle if it has not moved from the stall after unplugging. That would catch a few until they figured it out with a large bill.

Maybe bar code the pedistals and look for them with the cameras.

What's the downside to being transparent about the software updates?
Putting out real release notes takes engineering and lawyer time. These are constrained resources at Tesla. Therefore it slows everything down. Me, I'd rather get updates sooner than know what's in them.

Besides, it won't be complete regardless, because they'll leave out fixes to vulnerabilities than in effect inform bad actors how they might attack vehicles that haven't gotten the updates yet.

Reactions: preilly44
Teslas sitting in charging spaces unplugged could be fairly easily detected by Tesla using a combination of GPS and camera/sensor detection of supercharging pedestals. The GPS gets you to "the car might be sitting in any of these three spaces" and the sensors can validate that they detect what would be detected from a particular space. Job done.

If they wanted to they could also check that charging Teslas are properly placed and whine to the driver if the they aren't. This just leaves the problem of spaces occupied by non-Teslas (or early Teslas with no sensors), but to some degree they could use sensors on adjacent vehicles,.

Soon enough all these problems will be mitigated by Tesla auto-parking everything that has anything to do with supercharging, and (later, maybe much later) auto-disconnecting as well.

Maybe I haven’t noticed before because I don’t pay that much attention but I happened to notice today the light and bright light indicator disappears in daylight then shows again at dark or in shadows that would trigger your headlights back on. Could have been there but I haven’t noticed

How is it possible that Tesla doesn't maintain a version log announcing what's changed in each version? I gather from this and other threads that they leave it up to users to figure out on their own. It surely wouldn't be that difficult, and would presumably result in a net increase in customer goodwill and brand building. What's the downside to being transparent about the software updates?

They probably put the same people in charge of this who have to find spoilers for the P+ cars.

Please let this be the one that fixes the problem with browsing the media player favorites with the left scroll wheel. I think that's 2 or 3 firmware updates now that have gone by without fixing it. I'm still surprised more people haven't noticed this problem, but I think most people interact with the screen to choose their favorites.

I have a similar issue on my S. The issue (at least on my S) isn’t the buttons themselves but the fact that after a reset (either manual reset or after a SW update) the vehicle no longer thinks you have any favorites even if it displays them, so when you press the next favorite button on the steering wheel, it thinks you have no next favorite to go to and it makes it seem as if the buttons are malfunctioning.

So you have to manually unfavorite and re-favorite each station but the next time you reset or get an update, it happens again. I just got the new 18.36.2 update and it hasn’t been fixed sadly.

I agree and it is more than that. Someone who takes the time to post something/anything, is someone who is excited and motivated to communicate on these forums. Let's not demoralize people who want to be a part of a conversation.
Ok that's just ridiculous. If you're bored play some games; if you like to read grab a book. I come here to get relevant, useful information not acquire pen pals.

I have a similar issue on my S. The issue (at least on my S) isn’t the buttons themselves but the fact that after a reset (either manual reset or after a SW update) the vehicle no longer thinks you have any favorites even if it displays them, so when you press the next favorite button on the steering wheel, it thinks you have no next favorite to go to and it makes it seem as if the buttons are malfunctioning.

So you have to manually unfavorite and re-favorite each station but the next time you reset or get an update, it happens again. I just got the new 18.36.2 update and it hasn’t been fixed sadly.

My 3 behaves similarly. It's like the media player doesn't know the streaming favorites are there, even though it is displaying them. It will scroll through the FM favorites without a problem, but never go to the streaming favorites. One the first things I tried after resetting was removing all the favorites and adding them all back, but it didn't help. You can tap on a streaming favorite with the screen, but then navigating with the scroll wheel makes it go back to the FM stations only.