Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 338352
Can someone please explain the reason behind such a useless and smartless idea?
"Autosteear" the best feature so far rendered useless by this idea. no one likes to be stuck behind a slow truck or need to turn off autosteer every time one need to change lanes????
This makes autosteear in Texas useless in all but 4 roads.

Probably because it's not safe to use on surface streets, due to the typically tighter conditions.

View attachment 338352
Can someone please explain the reason behind such a useless and smartless idea?
"Autosteear" the best feature so far rendered useless by this idea. no one likes to be stuck behind a slow truck or need to turn off autosteer every time one need to change lanes????
This makes autosteear in Texas useless in all but 4 roads.
Never understood the fact that it does work on AP1 cars when in local roads...

I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying auto lane change does not always work reliably? It always works for me on interstate highways.
As I understand it, auto lane change isn't always available, doesn't always execute properly for everybody, or doesn't necessarily respond the way people want it to.

So, now, if people want to have autosteer on, when changing lanes they'll have to deal with those inconsistencies and differences, or change MSM to MDSME.

Agreed but I thought I read somewhere on the tesla website that ramp to ramp was going to be a feature of EAP on HW1.
It was. It was in the notes when 8.0 came out. It showed 8.0 release notes then had off and on ramp coming in 8.1. Then 8.1 was delayed and after getting hounded about it they released it any of the promised features seemingly to shut everyone up about 8.1 then the promises faded away with time replaced with new ones for the new hardware.

Reactions: JohnnyG
As I understand it, auto lane change isn't always available, doesn't always execute properly for everybody, or doesn't necessarily respond the way people want it to.

So, now, if people want to have autosteer on, when changing lanes they'll have to deal with those inconsistencies and differences, or change MSM to MDSME.

change MSM to MDSME. what does it mean?
"They'll have to deal..." say who??? AP1 works as expected. it does a great job everywhere. The driver is the one in control when to change lanes not the computer. I just want to hear the real reason it is only allowed as mentioned before. I have been guessing for over a year already and yet to find a hint of one.
Hello Mr. Musk... wont you get me an answer?

Last edited:
Reactions: don123 and Joelgjr
We already have haptic feedback for lane departure in the steering wheel, I don't know why Tesla wouldn't use the same feedback mechanism for blind spot detection with directional enabled.

Totally agreed. I don't want audio alerts (at least not in the form of beeps or unpleasant sounds) for lane change thoughtcrimes. Sure if I get imminently close to someone, beep like there's no tomorrow (note that AP1 and 2 already do this, if you get within a few inches of sideswiping a car it will trigger a collision alarm and possibly nudge your wheel back).

But if I'm just thinking about changing lanes, I'd rather have haptic feedback or visual feedback.

FWIW I think instead of just turning the line red on putting on your turn signal, I'd prefer them to just color-code the lanes orange or red when they're occupied at all times.

It seems like at least they have pulled the car up so now it can show cars next and behind you. It also displays a red line if you turn on your turn signal and there is a vehicle next to you

Also, something about turning a lane grey if it thinks it’s more optimal to be in or something(and maybe automatically moving to it when autopilot on nav is enabled). Hard to figure out exactly what that part means without seeing it.

Also, something about turning a lane grey if it thinks it’s more optimal to be in or something(and maybe automatically moving to it when autopilot on nav is enabled). Hard to figure out exactly what that part means without seeing it.
This seems to be ap2 and above. Strange ap1 might not get blind spot detection that my grandmother has in her Nissan Sentra lol