TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nemSoma, Sep 26, 2018.

1. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

• Like x 9
    • Love x 2
  2. rnortman

rnortman Member

I think, actually, you can probably trace all the examples of this back to me. I've just used this example on these forums several times (though lying in the middle of the road is a new twist on it). So it's not all Americans, it's just me.

• Disagree x 1
  3. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

14 cars on Teslafi now, the most recent being AP2 rather than 2.5!

• Informative x 1
  4. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

Do we know if anybody is getting the 39.x updates over LTE?

5. mhan00

mhan00 Member

You’ll be getting that fancy new chipset Tesla built in house, so a donation but at least with some compensation. I’m guessing the rest of us EAP plebes will need to pay the FSD upgrade fee to get the shiny new hardware.

6. Silicon Desert

Whether it has occurred or not, I think the answer you are looking for is that YES it can occur. Doesn't need to be WiFI.

7. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Moderator note: Moved a few more (14-ish?) posts on sensor technology into an already-created spinoff thread.

Sensors (overflow from 2018.39 thread)

And now I have to get back to work. :)

Bruce.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. gt2690b

gt2690b Member

if someone is lying in the middle of the road around here they are getting run over.. lidar be damned

• Funny x 2
  9. X3SLA

X3SLA Member

39.4 rollout today (10/2/18) seems to be heavily biased towards Model 3, must be testing something specific to that system.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  10. rnortman

rnortman Member

That's funny and all, but actually people can very easily see pedestrians lying in the middle of the road and they will not run over them. It is also not an unthinkable situation at all, in fact it happens in real life not infrequently. (It's infrequent with in any given single driver's experience, but not infrequent if you take all driving situations encountered daily across a large population -- which is what Autopilot needs to deal with.) I saw some news articles just last week about a toddler crawling across a busy road (image and link below). People can handle these situations. This is the bar Tesla needs to leap over to enter L3 territory.

[​IMG]

Driver Helps Rescue Baby Crawling Across New Jersey Road

Sorry bmah if this should be in the sensor thread... this is less about sensors and more about the challenges facing EAP/FSD progress in general, IMO.

• Informative x 2
  11. Starlight

Starlight New Member

Can Model 3 (MCU 2) still download software update when asleep? In other words, if Tesla decided to push an update to my car, will it wake up my car to do so?

• Like x 1
  12. PaulJohn

PaulJohn Member

Does anyone know the percentage of processing power used by .39.x compared to .36 on AP 2.5?

13. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

Well, given the crazy beeping and sudden stop I got a couple months back for an empty paper cup that rolled in front of my car, a baby might be doable. That said, babies crossing a freeway are pretty rare, so EAP should be fine regardless.

• Like x 2
  14. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Tesla can wake the car up to push an update.

• Like x 1
  15. pazdan

pazdan Member

how could anyone know this, unless they are part of the engineering team @ tesla

• Like x 1
  16. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I wouldn't read too much into the reported data on which cars get or don't get v9. My nephew got his pre-AP classic MS upgraded to v9 yesterday at the Service Center.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

It would be interesting if EAP could still manage pedestrian detection at 70mph.

One of the freeways I used to commute on when I lived in Fort Worth it was fairly common for homeless folks to cross the freeway on foot. Several would get hit every year (including one infamous case involving a person who just left the homeless dude stuck in her windshield and drove home).

18. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

If the NN is doing single frame processing (most likely), 70 MPH should not matter (other than a slight amount of image smearing).

• Like x 1
  19. Silicon Desert

#1339 Silicon Desert, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Fact is that ALL models can be awakened by the system for a variety of reasons, including to push an update, even if is in sleep mode. The folks that like to have their cars plugged in or setting the configuration screen to "Always Connected" isn't going to ensure that you get an update any earlier. Unnecessary to do that.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

Tesla pushes a job ' firmware update' to your car, the job says that it needs to wait for wifi to start the download process, the job usually says for how long it needs to wait for the wifi to start the download, after that date, the firmware can download over LTE. Once the download is initiated your car will be kept awake until a firmware is downloaded, verified and staged.

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 2