Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That isn't correct, they said that EAP would use two forward facing cameras and the two rear facing cameras.

That's correct, and I remember thinking to myself how little sense it made to use only 4 for EAP. I really disliked the entire 4 versus 8 argument, and I'm glad that's all over with.

In any case the reason I posted that was all the early access builds that we've heard about only used 6 camera so I was really surprised to see Elon tweet about two side side cameras that weren't even calibrated.

Hopefully Elon is correct, and the release version 9 is using all 8 cameras.

Although one could argue 7.1 cameras because the rear camera can get mighty dirty.

That's correct, and I remember thinking to myself how little sense it made to use only 4 for EAP. I really disliked the entire 4 versus 8 argument, and I'm glad that's all over with.

I am 97% sure that the "4 vs 8" thing was worked out in a meeting where only marketing and maybe PR folks were present, not an engineering meeting. Anyway, yet more evidence that in 2016 when they started selling this they had no idea how they were actually going to implement it.

That said, I don't think they need the B pillar cameras for what they're currently doing, though the B pillar cameras may work better than the fisheye for cars right next to you. Honestly the B pillar cameras seem like the second most useless cameras in the suite (with the backup camera being the most useless -- for EAP/FSD that is; it's very useful for human drivers and maybe eventually for auto-park?). I guess the B pillar cameras may be useful for true FSD on local roads, where you need to enter an unprotected intersection and need to see cross-traffic, or maybe for taking tight turns. I think the FOV of the fisheye will always be able to see more (due to being farther forward) but with the extreme distortion in the fisheye at the periphery they may be better off with the B pillar cameras. The fisheye though could do some motion detection for cross-traffic; it probably just can't be very accurate about position or classification when something is near the limits of its FOV.

Reactions: Joel and wesley888
I am 97% sure that the "4 vs 8" thing was worked out in a meeting where only marketing and maybe PR folks were present, not an engineering meeting. Anyway, yet more evidence that in 2016 when they started selling this they had no idea how they were actually going to implement it.

That said, I don't think they need the B pillar cameras for what they're currently doing, though the B pillar cameras may work better than the fisheye for cars right next to you. Honestly the B pillar cameras seem like the second most useless cameras in the suite (with the backup camera being the most useless -- for EAP/FSD that is; it's very useful for human drivers and maybe eventually for auto-park?). I guess the B pillar cameras may be useful for true FSD on local roads, where you need to enter an unprotected intersection and need to see cross-traffic, or maybe for taking tight turns. I think the FOV of the fisheye will always be able to see more (due to being farther forward) but with the extreme distortion in the fisheye at the periphery they may be better off with the B pillar cameras. The fisheye though could do some motion detection for cross-traffic; it probably just can't be very accurate about position or classification when something is near the limits of its FOV.

Yeah, I agree with all that about the 4 versus 8.

As to the B pillar camera I wonder if it was a corner case that it was needed for like a bike that merged right to the side of the vehicle, or if it was more for cohesiveness. Like when passing a big truck. That way parts of the truck are seen by three or more cameras.

In any case I'm interesting in hearing if any of the "hackers" have noticed if all 8 cameras are now being used.

Looking at TeslaFi data (yes, I know this is just a subset of the empire), it does appear that the installs are limited to people at 36.2 already. Lots of updates in the past few days TO 36.2 from older versions. All of the updates to 39.x appear to be limited to those who already have 36.2. Given the folks still on older versions, it appears we have a few iterations before we'll see v9.x

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Looking at TeslaFi data (yes, I know this is just a subset of the empire), it does appear that the installs are limited to people at 36.2 already. Lots of updates in the past few days TO 36.2 from older versions. All of the updates to 39.x appear to be limited to those who already have 36.2. Given the folks still on older versions, it appears we have a few iterations before we'll see v9.x

I've seen some 34.1 to 39.3. It is mostly 36.2. I'm stuck on 34.1 so I hope they'll just let us skip 36.2 once they settle on a final release candidate.

Tesla pushes a job ' firmware update' to your car, the job says that it needs to wait for wifi to start the download process, the job usually says for how long it needs to wait for the wifi to start the download, after that date, the firmware can download over LTE. Once the download is initiated your car will be kept awake until a firmware is downloaded, verified and staged.

Wow, very insightful information. Thank you

So the few who got v9 without being in the early access program rooted their mcu to fake the update job?

Reactions: Radon