Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had 36.2 for a few days on my 2.0
I mean that’s awesome but you’re with the 19% for AP2 and 57% for AP2.5. Seems like a substantial difference.

Attachments

• A97CA434-F4EC-493E-891C-EC7C2C34D3D3.png
    A97CA434-F4EC-493E-891C-EC7C2C34D3D3.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 83
Well, technically, it would be L2. But as we've been discussing, the levels are not necessarily descriptive of the system's capabilities. You can have a system like Audi's driver assist which is L3 but very limited in when it can operate or you can have Tesla's EAP, especially V9, which is very robust in many situations but is still technically L2. If I am understanding the levels correctly, you could theoretically have a system that is capable of actual full self-driving but is still L2 if it asks the driver to supervise the system while it is self-driving.
I'll take a L2 vehicle that I can use 95% of the time then a L3 vehicle that can only be used 5% of the time. Technically, if a manufacturer implements L3 for one mode or scenario, they could claim L3 even though you would only hit that scenario very infrequently. Kind of like Cadillac stating they have L2 but only can be engaged in a very limited way. And...BTW...I use AP about 95% of the time of every drive.

Last edited:
I'll take a L2 vehicle that I can use 95% of the time then a L3 vehicle that can only be used 5% of the time. Technically, if a manufacturer implements L3 for one mode or scenario, they could claim L3 even though you would only hit that scenario very infrequently. Kind of like Cadillac stating they have L2 but only can be engaged in a very limited way. And...BTW...I use AP about 95% of the time of every drive.
Same here. I turn AP on whenever it is safe to do (lanes marked well). Equates to almost 90% of the time.

Same here. I turn AP on whenever it is safe to do (lanes marked well). Equates to almost 90% of the time.
I’ll go beyond that. I turn on AP in areas where it can’t handle or can barely handle but I’m capable of supervising and intervening in time, and I don’t have passengers with me who may not be okay with the constant disengagements....

Looking at TeslaFi data (yes, I know this is just a subset of the empire), it does appear that the installs are limited to people at 36.2 already. Lots of updates in the past few days TO 36.2 from older versions. All of the updates to 39.x appear to be limited to those who already have 36.2. Given the folks still on older versions, it appears we have a few iterations before we'll see v9.x
Looking at TeslaFi data (yes, I know this is just a subset of the empire), it does appear that the installs are limited to people at 36.2 already. Lots of updates in the past few days TO 36.2 from older versions. All of the updates to 39.x appear to be limited to those who already have 36.2. Given the folks still on older versions, it appears we have a few iterations before we'll see v9.x
I was getting ready to ask that. I'm on .34. I do see a couple that did skip .36. I've download 15gig in the last few days still nothing. Also this happen to me before in April with the new maps. Downloaded big file and nothing for a few days. So I did a 2 bottom restart and bam I had the new maps screen. It was like it was stuck or something.

I’ll go beyond that. I turn on AP in areas where it can’t handle or can barely handle but I’m capable of supervising and intervening in time, and I don’t have passengers with me who may not be okay with the constant disengagements....

They've gotten too good at recognizing those areas and instantly putting up the red hands of doom. I can only engage AP and keep it engaged sometimes on unmarked roads. It no longer allows a lot of what it would do before. For 17.11.3, I could engage on unmarked roads with a curb (and it did a remarkably good job but it would fail on any highway curve even at lower speeds -- go figure).

Reactions: rush6410
They've gotten too good at recognizing those areas and instantly putting up the red hands of doom. I can only engage AP and keep it engaged sometimes on unmarked roads. It no longer allows a lot of what it would do before. For 17.11.3, I could engage on unmarked roads with a curb (and it did a remarkably good job but it would fail on any highway curve even at lower speeds -- go figure).
Yeah ditto. When demoing the system to interested friends I can usually preface with “and it’s gonna throw up the red hands of doom” or “it’ll probably slam on the brakes for that” with 5 seconds of advance notice.

Autopilot rarely surprises me anymore.

Reactions: conman and rush6410
You're like me. I go out of my way to enable it wherever I can and try and get it to disengage all the time. I figure there might be some good data in that since it always ends up uploading hundreds of megabytes when there are multiple disengagements.

I mean that’s awesome but you’re with the 19% for AP2 and 57% for AP2.5. Seems like a substantial difference.
I see your point. I have to admit that my car was built in 08/17 and while the service center told me it’s 2.0, I’m secretely hoping it’s one of those that shipped as 2.0 but is actually a 2.5.

Also I usually get updates within a few hrs of of them announced. I credit that to a strong wifi signal in garage where it spends most of the day (note day not night as I have company vehicle for daytime work).

I see your point. I have to admit that my car was built in 08/17 and while the service center told me it’s 2.0, I’m secretely hoping it’s one of those that shipped as 2.0 but is actually a 2.5.

Also I usually get updates within a few hrs of of them announced. I credit that to a strong wifi signal in garage where it spends most of the day (note day not night as I have company vehicle for daytime work).

ok you got.. where does it spend the night??!?

So, after several days with 9.0 it's quite nice and it sorta takes clover leafs and such, but it takes them incredible slow compared to normal traffic but the shadow braking is really really bad. I can't go for a highway drive for 20 minutes without 2 - 3 shadow braking events. I was hoping the final calibrations would have resolved it, but not so much, so hopefully that's part of what they are refining out of the system.
Sigh. After too many scary ghost braking encounters on AP2 loaners (and yes, running current software), I've been holding off on selling my AP1 until Tesla resolves this. I guess this update isn't the answer - bummer.

Sigh. After too many scary ghost braking encounters on AP2 loaners (and yes, running current software), I've been holding off on selling my AP1 until Tesla resolves this. I guess this update isn't the answer - bummer.
Well let’s see what the final release does. It’s possible they are using the radar in a new way as well and they just need more data before things settle down...

Reactions: MelaniainLA
According to Teslafi, they appear to be moving everyone from 32.x and 34.x onto 36. So it looks like I’m two steps away from v9

I don't think it is necessarily a two step process.

My guess is right now, 39.x is still not for public release so they are continuing to update cars with older updates to the most recent public released update which is currently 36.2. Once 39.x (or 40.x) gets pushed out for public release, they will push the version out to cars regardless of which update the car has at that time.

In any case I'm interesting in hearing if any of the "hackers" have noticed if all 8 cameras are now being used.
I don't have access to the autopilot system to actually confirm my assumption, but my CID shows this with respect to camera calibration on 39.0.1:
VAPI_backupCameraCalibrated,false
VAPI_fisheyeCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_lPillarCameraCalibrated,false
VAPI_lRepeaterCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_mainCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_narrowCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_rPillarCameraCalibrated,false
VAPI_rRepeaterCameraCalibrated,true

Which might indicate 5 camera's are being used. On the other hand, I do believe the backup camera works, based upon the observation that it doesn't overtake when there's traffic coming from behind and because the autopark feature is so much better; so the CameraCalibrated setting might not tell the complete story.

I don't have access to the autopilot system to actually confirm my assumption, but my CID shows this with respect to camera calibration on 39.0.1:
VAPI_backupCameraCalibrated,false
VAPI_fisheyeCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_lPillarCameraCalibrated,false
VAPI_lRepeaterCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_mainCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_narrowCameraCalibrated,true
VAPI_rPillarCameraCalibrated,false
VAPI_rRepeaterCameraCalibrated,true

Which might indicate 5 camera's are being used. On the other hand, I do believe the backup camera works, based upon the observation that it doesn't overtake when there's traffic coming from behind and because the autopark feature is so much better; so the CameraCalibrated setting might not tell the complete story.

I would have thought that the fender cameras are the main tool for not overtaking when there's traffic coming from behind - their whole purpose is to look at the blindspot and back along that lane, with a longer focal length that gives more pixels to work with while traffic is further away.

Reactions: rnortman