Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping v9.0 will enable us to display remaining range in miles and percentage simultaneously in the IC. We may have to wait for v10 for that one. I guess it is more complicated than I thought.
There's no way we'll have that technology in the near future. Two things at once? That's quantum computing technology...

While WE want V9 immediately and understand the BETA stamp, shipping new features of automation before sufficient validation has the potential to harm OTHERS. So while we choose to accept that risk and promise to do our best to watch the car, there are ethical considerations around shipping the best you possible can when you feel the time is right for the safety of EVERYONE. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I was driving and another Tesla crashed into me due to a BETA feature. Seems like a quick way to get Tesla into hot water (hotter water, arguably).
If I signed a waiver saying Tesla could never be at fault for beta software, I'd be happy with any new garbage they were willing to try. I'm a big boy and have had my fair share of the alpha/beta software world, including my own code, and test existing autopilot in ridiculous conditions it was never meant for and would never blame software for not performing there. Extreme vigilance and treating every single autopilot engagement as a challenge would be perfectly fine for me. If they really offered a "check for updates" button that Elon pseudo-promised, along with the ability to test "dangerous code, use at own risk", I'd still use it. I'm not so scared that I can't simply have my hands on the steering wheel and my foot hovering over the pedals in case it decided to drive me off a cliff - I acknowledge that defeats the whole purpose of autopilot, but I also understand that's what's required. What we really need is the option, rather than be treated as little children that don't know what's best for them. I'd happily take an update 2 or 3 times a week of the code and do ridiculous testing for it while others (allegedly) refuse to even activate autopilot until Tesla declares it stable! Given autosteer is still "beta" even 18 months after its first AP2 inception, they could be waiting a very very long time. I respect their position but feel to be the opposite end of the spectrum. What Tesla needs to do is acknowledge this discrepancy in its customers and offer only stable releases as a default, with others consciously opting in to beta, or even alpha, releases rather than randomly sending out offers to some random few individuals who may or may not be suited to prerelease testing.

So many 36.2!!!

Must be something to do with V9

I don't think so. If there was real "genuineness" in Elon's statements and tweets about V9.0 coming out in August then September I think it would have just come out regardless of which firmware cars were on. IMO this is just normal transition of software updates as if V9 wasn't even on the radar.

TeslaFi has shown no new downloads of V9 in 2 days now.
Hopefully it means that Tesla is testing it with the early access people and does not mean a fatal flaw was uncovered and they halted the upload.

If there was a fatal flaw, I am guessing they would have rolled back the software quickly.

My (half-full glass) guess is since they went 39 --> 39.0.1 --> 39.2.1 --> 39.3 --> 39.4 quickly over a few days but are now stopped on 39.4 that each version found some small bug(s) which was updated with the next version. Now that 39.4 has been holding still for a couple days, they have not found further bugs needing 39.5 and just testing further to make sure no additional bugs pop up.

My (half-full glass) guess is since they went 39 --> 39.0.1 --> 39.2.1 --> 39.3 --> 39.4 quickly over a few days but are now stopped on 39.4 that each version found some small bug(s) which was updated with the next version.

We don't know that they have stopped new versions. Tesla could have just cleaned house and stopped sending new versions to the people that leaked to TeslaFi or other places.

Last edited:
MS with AP2 on 32.4 here. Car just downloaded 5.4Gb last night. No notifications on screen this morning. Assuming this is a new maps download. I've heard there is typically a notification when new maps are installed. Does it take time after download to process the maps before the notification is presented?