Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it enabled! On my test bench... Now we just need someone who actually has the car and can do the same :D
screen-cid-2018-09-27-13.51.28.jpg

Was the car in Autopilot? I am curious how well the Tesla handles those situations as I live in the woods. I am consequently pretty good with the deer, but would LOVE another set of eyes for the day I don't catch it.

-Randy

At least on 2018.36, please just assume it doesn't handle that right now. I've seen zero evidence that it recognizes animals of any sort as an obstacle.

It seems to reliably identify humans in crosswalks at 18mph but I wouldn't dare try it at a higher speed than that.

Certainly if you're driving 45mph and a deer jumps in front of you, I would not expect the current AP to do anything about it. Totally agree it sounds like an awesome safety feature in the future.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Was the car in Autopilot? I am curious how well the Tesla handles those situations as I live in the woods. I am consequently pretty good with the deer, but would LOVE another set of eyes for the day I don't catch it.

-Randy

I have read of several Teslas hitting deer and I haven't read of the car making a save on one, so I'd assume it won't help you now. Some automotive radars are supposed to be able to detect deer and pedestrians; not sure if Tesla's Bosch and Continental units can.

I do expect that some version of AP will eventually learn to identify deer by sight. Hopefully it'll be compatible back to most cars. Of course, sometimes the geometry means the collision is basically unavoidable.

-Randy

Super curvy dark and narrow down steep hill. No autopilot on. Was able to slow to less than 20mph. Not a lot of damage but a sensor must have been munged. Called Tesla and sent some sort of recal / reset, but no dice.

• Helpful
Reactions: ironwaffle
I have read of several Teslas hitting deer and I haven't read of the car making a save on one, so I'd assume it won't help you now. Some automotive radars are supposed to be able to detect deer and pedestrians; not sure if Tesla's Bosch and Continental units can.

I do expect that some version of AP will eventually learn to identify deer by sight. Hopefully it'll be compatible back to most cars. Of course, sometimes the geometry means the collision is basically unavoidable.
I can't recall which company's vision system this was, but I recall one having a lot of trouble in Australia with kangaroos. It couldn't figure distance since they didn't stay on the ground.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I can't recall which company's vision system this was, but I recall one having a lot of trouble in Australia with kangaroos. It couldn't figure distance since they didn't stay on the ground.

Aw, come on...I don't want to have to make a "Tesla sensors vs. wildlife" thread. :)

Bruce.

Dashcam AP2.5 only. Seriously??

Allegedly.. I'm not horribly surprised given that AP2 has less processing power in the autopilot engine (where all of the cameras feed into) and "monochrome+red" cameras except for backup... Still sucks though as an AP2 owner. I already have a 2ch dash cam installed, so while I'm disappointed I'll get over it *shrug*

Last edited:
I did, but not much to see it didn’t take any actions for me, will need to take a bigger trip tomorrow or later tonight I guess. Also need to come up with a better solution then holding my phone :rolleyes:
I did, but not much to see it didn’t take any actions for me, will need to take a bigger trip tomorrow or later tonight I guess. Also need to come up with a better solution then holding my phone :rolleyes:
I’ve been refreshing this thread all day waiting for this video. Guess we can wait a few more hours