Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's your problem - it has nothing to do with 'holding' or 'squeezing' the steering wheel. It doesn't have sensors for that. It is measuring slight resistance against it *turning.*
I am fully aware of this. By squeeze the steering wheel I mean to "counter" the autopilot with a slight force and counter the autopilot's steering action. In any case, if you do this every few seconds, it became more tiresome than manual steering. A proper way to deal with this safety feature is to be able to extending the operating envelop and letting the driver to hold the wheel anyway the driver prefer without being consciously reporting to the autopilot by a slight force on the steering wheel. If the stupid hacker wants to put the water bottle, orange or whatever it is their prerogative which is no more different than texting while driving. In the end, we are the pilot in command and no one should police the driver how he/she drive. Technically speaking, with L2 autopilot, the driver's main function is "monitor" the surrounding environment. If Tesla feels otherwise then they should not call it L2 it is more like L1 instead. In a way of comparison, Cadillac's super-cruise autopilot is a much preferred way of dealing this issue.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I am fully aware of this. By squeeze the steering wheel I mean to "counter" the autopilot with a slight force and counter the autopilot's steering action. In any case, if you do this every few seconds, it became more tiresome than manual steering. A proper way to deal with this safety feature is to be able to extending the operating envelop and letting the driver to hold the wheel anyway the driver prefer without being consciously reporting to the autopilot by a slight force on the steering wheel. If the stupid hacker wants to put the water bottle, orange or whatever it is their prerogative which is no more different than texting while driving. In the end, we are the pilot in command and no one should police the driver how he/she drive. Technically speaking, with L2 autopilot, the driver's main function is "monitor" the surrounding environment. If Tesla feels otherwise then they should not call it L2 it is more like L1 instead. In a way of comparison, Cadillac's super-cruise autopilot is a much preferred way of dealing this issue.

After .36 you can also press the steering wheel buttons or move the scroll wheels to show your presence no need to torque.

I took a 50 min highway drive with a passenger to record and turned on unattended lane changes, it didn’t do a single thing except blow past the exits. Now, I’m starting to think the cams need to fully calibrate for it to work I’m still at 98%, 96% and 68%, @dennis_d are your cams fully calibrated?
Really appreciate all the time you (and others in your circle!) have put into this!

Dumb question, but are you even getting the option to enable the feature within the map app once you start driving? Reading various threads and the release notes makes it seem like even if you enable the features in settings, unless you further (again) enable it from the map app while en route when the option presents itself, it won’t do it. (I got the impression it may be geofenced to certain highways only to start with?)

I’m totally talking out of my ass here, feel free to throw some rolleyes my way!

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I took a 50 min highway drive with a passenger to record and turned on unattended lane changes, it didn’t do a single thing except blow past the exits. Now, I’m starting to think the cams need to fully calibrate for it to work I’m still at 98%, 96% and 68%, @dennis_d are your cams fully calibrated?
@BigD0g, can you confirm if the same number of cameras are used between hw2.0 and he 2.5? As of right now it appears that the only difference is that only 2.5 got the dash cam feature.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

Any footage you can post would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like it is utilizing all the cameras now for EAP functionality. How does that work for the earlier 2.0 AP where you could order EAP only (No FSD) and it used to only ship with the front and rear camera?

Halfway through, Elon started shipping them with all cameras regardless, but what about before then?
They've always come with all 8 cameras since the inception of AP2.x