Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy who made that video (a member of the Tesla Owner's Club Belgium) has a "hacked" car and was able to download the v9 (I guess the same way BigDog or dennis_d did) and could indeed enable the DON feature.

I asked him if it worked outside the US and he answered that it does, so I guess the reason why we don't get it is regulatory approval.

Maybe it is just about "driving styles"? Like passing on the right, staying on the left, etc. - that is common in the USA or at least in California - needs to be modified to work correctly in Europe

Last edited:
Any hope that AP1 Model S, will get the Autopilot on Navigation? just hopping ...lol
Technically it's possible by signaling you to change lanes, at which time you would have to push on the stock to confirm the lane change, nav data is there, auto lane change is there with supervision, there's no reason that couldn't happen, same with on and off ramp, which was promised for ap1 just never delivered.

Technically it's possible by signaling you to change lanes, at which time you would have to push on the stock to confirm the lane change, nav data is there, auto lane change is there with supervision, there's no reason that couldn't happen, same with on and off ramp, which was promised for ap1 just never delivered.
I think the issue is that it can't see more than one lane over on each side (feel free to correct me), so it doesn't know what lane it is in and therefore can't suggest lane changes

Reactions: JohnnyG
I think the issue is that it can't see more than one lane over on each side (feel free to correct me), so it doesn't know what lane it is in and therefore can't suggest lane changes
It can at least see one lane on each side of the vehicle, read dashes and solid lines, and when a lane change is initiated, it'll pick up the next lane over. I think the hardware is more than capable, I think it's really that Tesla doesn't control the mobileye hardware solution from end to end like their own Tesla vision hardware so there's no incentive to continue to develop for hardware that has no future with Tesla.

It can at least see one lane on each side of the vehicle, read dashes and solid lines, and when a lane change is initiated, it'll pick up the next lane over. I think the hardware is more than capable, I think it's really that Tesla doesn't control the mobileye hardware solution from end to end like their own Tesla vision hardware so there's no incentive to continue to develop for hardware that has no future with Tesla.
AP1 can't look backwards though, which is required for this feature.

Reactions: JohnnyG
AP1 can't look backwards though, which is required for this feature.
True, but there's no reason it couldn't show what lane to be in and put on the signal, but not actually do anything until I pull the turn signal stock down or up to initiate the lane change. Theoretically I do that now, the nav voice says my exit is coming up, I look behind me, then auto lane change. Just substituting my real eyes for cameras.

How do you get 3.6 Android? I have 3.5 and the store has no upgrade.
Just like Tesla rolls out updates to batches of cars at a time, the Play Store limits the number of devices that see an update to avoid an inrush of traffic to their download servers. You'll probably see it shortly if you haven't gotten the update yet. Also, it could help to manually hit the "Check for updates" button every few hours if your phone isn't plugged into power. I think the default Play Store settings prevents it from looking for updates unless it has external power.

I made another small video, it's 30 minutes drive compiled in 2 min, I had to take over the car twice, once to pass a car of Chinese lady (was driving 50 miles and merged into my lane) and another time when the car lost lane marking next to SF.
I would say its pretty damn good beta if you ask me :)
@dennis_d Brilliant. Can't wait for this release.

You said one disengagement was when someone merged into your lane. Is v9 not handling that better? That's one weak spot of v8 -- it currently doesn't recognize a car until it's fully in your own lane, and then brakes late and hard. I was hoping that v9 would anticipate the merge (possibly even cue off the turn signal) and handle merges more smoothly. Is it doing any of that?

Reactions: navguy12
There haven't been any releases to model S yet anyway.

Actually...
upload_2018-9-29_14-57-24.png

True, but there's no reason it couldn't show what lane to be in and put on the signal, but not actually do anything until I pull the turn signal stock down or up to initiate the lane change. Theoretically I do that now, the nav voice says my exit is coming up, I look behind me, then auto lane change. Just substituting my real eyes for cameras.

So your eyes are the cameras and your left hand is the auto lane change/turn signal and your brain is the autopilot decision making? I have great news for you, your car already has that capability today, no V9 required! :D