Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Tesla is historically very loose with their “promises”. AP1 was supposed to get stop sign reading and freeway on ramp to off ramp. And AP1 summon was supposed to pull the car out of the garage and drive it around to the curb for you.

So If actual auto lane change gets delayed a lot, or even pushed into AP3, I would not be surprised at all. Maybe they figure out they need radars and whitelisted freeways to make it work reliably enough, who knows.

So the real question is.... how does Tesla get away with this? Apparently only because all the other car manufacturers are so far behind on the things about Teslas that are actually good... If Elon just kept his mouth shut and only promised that the cars could do the things the cars can actually do -- which is already amazing enough without resorting to lies -- none of this would be a problem.

It could show up in V9.1 or V9.2 and his tweet would still be accurate.

What is this, a criminal trial? The plain meaning of his statement is clear; he could have clarified as "V9 series of updates" or the like if he wanted to. If you are going to take this interpretation, you are basically excusing him for being intentionally (or at least irresponsibly/negligently) misleading.

Speaking of negligently misleading... see the SEC lawsuit and settlement. It's a habit with Elon. Maybe even an addiction.

So the real question is.... how does Tesla get away with this? Apparently only because all the other car manufacturers are so far behind on the things about Teslas that are actually good... If Elon just kept his mouth shut and only promised that the cars could do the things the cars can actually do -- which is already amazing enough without resorting to lies -- none of this would be a problem.

What is this, a criminal trial? The plain meaning of his statement is clear; he could have clarified as "V9 series of updates" or the like if he wanted to. If you are going to take this interpretation, you are basically excusing him for being intentionally (or at least irresponsibly/negligently) misleading.

Speaking of negligently misleading... see the SEC lawsuit and settlement. It's a habit with Elon. Maybe even an addiction.

They listed v9.1/2, but more likely it’d be v9.0 2018.42/44/46/... That’s the way Tesla has done their version numbers for at least as long as I’ve had my car. Just like auto parking/wipers/etc didn’t come in any initial release. You can argue that they should change their versioning scheme/release schedule, but it’s not really misleading if you pay attention to how they release things.

Sure, but how do you know specifically .39 is the final release? Generally odd build numbers are early access only.

Generally yes but new features drop on odd releases. We've seen it before. For example, when AEB was released in mid 2017 for AP2, it was initially released as a variant of an existing firmware branch to a small subset of owners and then packaged the next week into a wide release.

It just fits the pattern. I could easily be wrong but TeslaFi cars that aren't early access are getting it as 39.3. maybe this won't go to us but it's being readied.

Duuude the AP1 pitchfork crew used to point to this as the most concrete evidence AP2 sucks compared to AP1. I guess speed limit sign reading still remains....

And that seems to be a valid criticism. They really needed to mature the NN to achieve classification. Tesla managed with crap but it's better to have a capable system in place.

I remember how well 17.17.4 performed but it was so rudimentary.

2018.21 was the previous odd week general release. It allowed AP to show traffic in all adjacent lanes like AP1 does. Major stuff released after Elon mentioned it in a quarterly call.

Last edited:
And that seems to be a valid criticism. They really needed to mature the NN to achieve classification. Tesla managed with crap but it's better to have a capable system in place.

I remember how well 17.17.4 performed but it was so rudimentary.
Oh without a doubt, a ton has matured since those days. 17.17.4 would frequently take cement grooves as lane markers around here, including suddenly snapping to them rather than the better defined lane lines it was following.

At any rate, I think a lot of us have been fondly remembering AP1. But even back in the 2018.2x parts of this year, AP1 loaners would consistently surprise me with not being able to follow local road curves, rapidly flickering car vs truck images, poorly rendering cars close by, etc.

Seems like since the March update, AP2’s been picking up steam. Drive On Nav aside, early adopters are consistently saying that AP2 is driving better in v9. That honestly excites me more.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
The sun rises on the Serengeti, a dog cries out in the vast , immeasurable wild. A giant flock of birds take flight from a Crumfum tree. In the tent we huddle around the 3.6 version app. The signal strength is strong. The Tesla sits in it's own tent with strong wifi and connected to a charging source. ....sigh.... No update yet for the Tesla. Our guide says he is sorry for us.....crestfallen we set out for the day ahead :(.