Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BD08A65E-84D9-4298-9AEC-C52BE6564E58.png

No, you pull the stalk towards you, not down.

Honestly, not sure, why Tesla did this. Why not just use the turn signal stalk like any other auto lane change?

I think it is because is just a confirmation (aka do you want to do this) and the signal stalk is a two-state thing (right / left), you are not picking where to go, you are saying "yes I want to do that" plus the S/X have no ability to go back to not having the turn signal on so the AP stalk IMHO is just more convenient. That said I would have to test it to know how it feels, so please Tesla send me the update when you have a sec!

Last edited:
With the S/X, when the car requests a lane change with Navigate on Autopilot enabled (either to pass slow moving traffic or to get you to your exit), you can confirm that lane change with a single pull toward you on the auto-pilot stalk. This will turn on the turn signal and initiate the lane change, no need to use the blinker stalk.

You can use the blinker stalk at any time to initiate a lane change (even on multi-lane roads where Navigate on Autopilot is not supported); when you do this you must manually return the stalk to the center position when the lane change is complete. You can also of course use the blinker stalk to confirm a lane change request (but again, have to manually restore its position if you do so, unless you do a "half push")

Seems like it might be incredibly distracting, are you constantly looking at the center console to see if the car wants you to change lanes? How is that not completely annoying in practice?

I think it is because is just a confirmation (aka do you want to do this) and the signal stalk is a two-state thing (right / left), you are not picking where to go, you are saying "yes I want to do that" plus the S/X have no ability to go back to not having the turn signal on so the AP stalk IMHO is just more convenient. This sais I would have to test it to know how it feels, so please Tesla send me the update when you have a sec!

I get it now. Thanks. So I guess Tesla will want to do something similar with the Model 3. I don't know if the Model 3 gear stalk can do backwards or forwards so maybe it will require a downward tap to confirm?

With the S/X, when the car requests a lane change with Navigate on Autopilot enabled (either to pass slow moving traffic or to get you to your exit), you can confirm that lane change with a single pull toward you on the auto-pilot stalk. This will turn on the turn signal and initiate the lane change, no need to use the blinker stalk.

You can use the blinker stalk at any time to initiate a lane change (even on multi-lane roads where Navigate on Autopilot is not supported); when you do this you must manually return the stalk to the center position when the lane change is complete. You can also of course use the blinker stalk to confirm a lane change request (but again, have to manually restore its position if you do so, unless you do a "half push")

Thank you for the detailed response!

Well, charging at 5A didn't achieve anything in terms of getting an update. It just meant the car wasn't charged fully by 6:30am. Interestingly when I got into the car, the instrument cluster had to wake up from deep sleep despite the fact it was charging and it was after 5am. I guess I'll stop trying to force it this way since I'd have just as much luck forcing it by parking the car in a way that points it towards Mecca...

U need to power cycle your router. Just unplug the power of the router. Wait 1 min. Plug in It again. Wait several min. Make sure your streaming station works. Then u should be good

Uh.... it isn't necessary a router issue. He should be able to connect to the car with the app regardless of if it is connected to WiFi or not. It should connect via cellular. But yea, agree that he should reboot the router in case that is what is locking up the car from communicating at all. ie, car thinks it is connected via WiFi and not using cellular.

True, auto lane change with confirmation is not an increase to autonomy. But I think it is very likely that Tesla will put auto lane without confirmation back in at some later time and that would be an increase in autonomy.

No it wouldn't, it would still be L2, because Tesla has been very clear that the driver must remain attentive and supervise the vehicle at all times, and the disclaimer text for uninitiated lane changing emphasize the point that even though the car is making the decision, you must supervise and take responsibility for that decision. An L3 system gives you the ability to not supervise under some conditions; it is up to the car to tell you when you need to supervise/take over again.

I think we are getting trolled about today’s release.

You mean you believed a random guy on Reddit who says he talked to TWO customer service agents and they absolutely promised it would go out today to everyone, even though CS agents have never known that accurately before, Tesla never rolls out to all cars at once, and Tesla/Elon hasn't said anything about the release in the last week?

It's gone out to a few cars today. It will most likely do that for a week, then roll out to 50% of the cars next week as a .40 release. Why expect different this time?

You mean you believed a random guy on Reddit who says he talked to TWO customer service agents and they absolutely promised it would go out today to everyone, even though CS agents have never known that accurately before, Tesla never rolls out to all cars at once, and Tesla/Elon hasn't said anything about the release in the last week?

It's gone out to a few cars today. It will most likely do that for a week, then roll out to 50% of the cars next week as a .40 release. Why expect different this time?

Yeah in all seriousness, CSA's are generally the LAST people to be told about these kinds of plans from engineering / release management. But their job performance depends on making callers happy so I wouldn't be surprised if they're just saying something to make the customer feel better, regardless of how true it is.

So far it looks like they're doing this rollout just like the other neural net ones — 1-2 weeks worth of beta testing, then the 1000 car handful, and then starts the waves of large rollouts. And usually those are separated into 2 or 3 waves.

So maybe by the end of October we'll all have v9 for sure.

Yes, that’s what I mean.

Yeah in all seriousness, CSA's are generally the LAST people to be told about these kinds of plans from engineering / release management. But their job performance depends on making callers happy so I wouldn't be surprised if they're just saying something to make the customer feel better, regardless of how true it is.

So far it looks like they're doing this rollout just like the other neural net ones — 1-2 weeks worth of beta testing, then the 1000 car handful, and then starts the waves of large rollouts. And usually those are separated into 2 or 3 waves.

You are probably going to end up being correct. I just misinterpreted Musk's remarks about a "wide rollout".

You are probably going to end up being correct. I just misinterpreted Musk's remarks about a "wide rollout".
I don't think you misinterpreted, I think he really meant "end of the week" last week.

Elon's the visionary type. I'm sure at the beginning of the week he really did intend it to go out at the end of the week. And then something came up, as it usually does.

He seems to be getting closer and closer to realistic timelines, but the old cliche "it's ready when it's ready" applies. And I'd rather then squash any dealbreaking bugs vs shoving it out the door because of an earlier tweet.