Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ladies and gentlemen, version 8.99
Whatever it ends up being I'm glad that we finally have a much better blind/side spot monitoring, and there is a dash cam.

If that's not enough we finally don't have to get out of the bed at 2:00am to walk down to our cars to accept an update.

Don't dismiss the small stuff. :)

Rats, my ISP just gave out and we have an internet outage. Ran outside to my driveway in my boxers to connect my car to my mobile hostpot. I hope the neighbors didn't see me, I kept the lights off o_O

I'm definitely looking forward to the dashcam, software updates from the app, send nav destinations from the app, the added apps on the Model 3, and the new nav UI on the 3 as well. And dare I say TeslAtari :D

Whatever it ends up being I'm glad that we finally have a much better blind/side spot monitoring, and there is a dash cam.

If that's not enough we finally don't have to get out of the bed at 2:00am to walk down to our cars to accept an update.

Don't dismiss the small stuff. :)

Don't get me wrong, I am still waiting anxiously for my update notification. I have a ranger appointment tomorrow for my key fob. Anyone know if they can push an update or does it have to be at the service center?

upload_2018-10-5_7-20-20.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-5_7-20-20.png
    upload_2018-10-5_7-20-20.png
    335.1 KB · Views: 44
"Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere."

It is that quote right there that confirms even further my thoughts that FSD is several years away. If Tesla is struggling to get "drive on NAV" out the door, which is going to be limited to only certain highways, then we've got a long way to go. Think of your typical daily drive... how many edge cases do you see? Things you may not even think about because for a human they're easily navigated or you're just used to them. A weird intersection here, an partly obscured stop sign there, an unusual traffic light set up, no lines at all on a side road, etc... those things and more are everywhere. I'd love to see FSD become a reality, but I'm not holding my breath. Don't get me wrong I love my Model S and love that Tesla is pushing to make a FSD capable system, but it seems a long way off.

At least I hope the tweet means we'll get the DON feature everywhere, not only US.

That's what I'm thinking too.

"Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere."

The works well everywhere part is what makes me think/hope that he's shooting for WW release of this instead of just US-only first as the early access release notes said.

The excitement comes from having video recordings provided by the dash cam video. Hopefully there will be so many of them that it convinces Tesla to really do more to cut down on the amount of false braking events.

You say this as if it's just a couple of lines of code they haven't gotten around to writing yet... but this is a fundamental trade-off they're making. Radar can't really distinguish between an overpass, an overhead sign, and a stopped fire truck. If they turn the dial to be less sensitive to stationary objects, they reduce braking for overpasses and signs but more people slam into fire trucks.

They can only fix this by bringing in vision in a really reliable way. Or, you know, lidar!