Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2.5 uses a different radar than 1.0 and 2.0. it is still being fine tuned by Tesla.

I sincerely doubt they will ever fine-tune out the physical hardware limitations of a sensor which has evidently never been fit for purpose. Maybe next time they might get around to actually testing these things out before building them into 100,000's of cars only to have to recall them all later for an upgrade?

“2. contact updater service on the car to ask it to install a new firmware from url you control”

*presses voice control button* “hello updater service, please install update”

Lol, made me laugh anyway. I’m also heavily drugged for a nasty sinus inspection, so that may have something to do with my humor being off. Lol
yeah, it's a tiny bit more involved than that. you actually need to use telnet to talk to it ;)

About the firetruck thing, thanks to @verygreen s excellent analysis videos from .10.4, I venture to say Tesla Vision is doing a good job recognizing distance from single cameras. In that video from the mid-range camera, cars off up to 150m are recognized, which is close to the range limit of AP2 multirange radar. So the long range camera should have longer pickup distances. Vision should also not have the problem of stopped vs. slowly moving.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I cannot help you with the binaries.

The procedure to install is simple.
1. plug your computer into the in-car network
2. contact updater service on the car to ask it to install a new firmware from url you control
3. once the yellow clock icon signifies the update was staged - install whenever.

Maybe your definition of hacking is different than mine, but if accessing the car’s network through an internal service port and crafting commands to initiate a software update from your own source isn’t “hacking”, I’m not sure what is.

Maybe your definition of hacking is different than mine, but if accessing the car’s network through an internal service port and crafting commands to initiate a software update from your own source isn’t “hacking”, I’m not sure what is.
Don't you love hacking into your computer every morning by typing a crafted password into the login window via a hardware device plugged into an exposed port hardware (or even worse, connected by bluetooth with no wires at all)?

I sincerely doubt they will ever fine-tune out the physical hardware limitations of a sensor which has evidently never been fit for purpose. Maybe next time they might get around to actually testing these things out before building them into 100,000's of cars only to have to recall them all later for an upgrade?
I have this problem of phantoms on Highway from Neuchatel - Yverdon - La Broy every tunel they brake because of light and start using wipers but now it's ok I thing if you make the same trip 1-2-3 is learning. How many km do you have on your car mine is 12 000 I receive it end of march and go to NordCap trip on June on this trip only one phantom (9000 km).

You say this as if it's just a couple of lines of code they haven't gotten around to writing yet... but this is a fundamental trade-off they're making. Radar can't really distinguish between an overpass, an overhead sign, and a stopped fire truck. If they turn the dial to be less sensitive to stationary objects, they reduce braking for overpasses and signs but more people slam into fire trucks.

They can only fix this by bringing in vision in a really reliable way. Or, you know, lidar!

I'm well aware of the trade off they're making, and that it's not a couple lines of code.

I see the proliferation of dash cam videos as a way of putting pressure on Tesla to fix this issue. That it's not acceptable to punish good drivers like myself by having false braking to protect idiots from crashing into fire trucks.

Stationary objects should require vision confirmation.

Don't you love hacking into your computer every morning by typing a crafted password into the login window via a hardware device plugged into an exposed port hardware (or even worse, connected by bluetooth with no wires at all)?
Like I said, I guess I’m a bit of a traditionalist. Hacking is tinkering with hardware or software to get it to do something undocumented or that it wasn’t intended to out of the box, not a 31337 fat kid in a hoodie in mom’s basement exploiting vulnerabilities to break into the NSA.

Like I said, I guess I’m a bit of a traditionalist. Hacking is tinkering with hardware or software to get it to do something it wasn’t intended to out of the box, not a 31337 fat kid in a hoodie in mom’s basement exploiting vulnerabilities to break into the NSA.
I assure you all this functionality is working as originally intended out of the box, there's zero deviation from original behavior. Sure, it's not in the user's manual because they mostly wanted technicians to use it. So it's on the level of "don't take this cover off" "hacking", I guess.

2. contact updater service on the car to ask it to install a new firmware from url you control
3. once the yellow clock icon signifies the update was staged - install whenever.

Oh boy, I'm happy for this info. Now I know how to install my custom software to get Atari Missile Command to tie into the James Bond weapons I installed under the headlights. I don't need FSD now. I just have the app blow up everything in my path. :rolleyes:
By the way, love Tennessee !

• Funny
Like I said, I guess I’m a bit of a traditionalist. Hacking is tinkering with hardware or software to get it to do something undocumented or that it wasn’t intended to out of the box, not a 31337 fat kid in a hoodie in mom’s basement exploiting vulnerabilities to break into the NSA.

I agree. Particularly in software development we sometimes refer to a hack as a sort of a workaround to make something possible. (Separate from malicious hacking.) However, we also use “hack” to describe something that was implemented poorly.

Hack
7. Computers.
1. to modify (a computer program or electronic device) or write (a program)in a skillful or clever way: Developers have hacked the app. I hacked my tablet to do some very cool things.
2. to circumvent security and break into (a network, computer, file, etc.),usually with malicious intent: Criminals hacked the bank's servers yesterday. Our team systematically hacks our network to find vulnerabilities.

Since we now from previous beta releases that AP on Nav is a setting in the firmware that could be turned on and off, can you adjust settings in this firmware via this method before you update the car, or do you need root to do that?

Except the quote you have from Musk literally says the exact opposite. It says that they cannot reliably offer the feature everywhere.

exactly, this is your guess and its based on very limited knowledge.

We are all guessing... from the few videos we've seen "drive on Nav" was limited to only certain highways. If it worked well in those limited areas then why pull the feature? At least give it to us with confirmation on the ideal highways, right?

You are both assuming this sentence: "Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere." implies that the drive on NAV feature was planned to be enabled on all highways everywhere which is why it was pulled.

Time will tell, but from the small steps we've seen so far and the history of what Elon says and what actually happens my educated guess tells me that this is going to be somewhat limited in scope and "in beta" for a while (once it finally rolls out) before we are using it "everywhere."