Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are all guessing... from the few videos we've seen "drive on Nav" was limited to only certain highways. If it worked well in those limited areas then why pull the feature? At least give it to us with confirmation on the ideal highways, right?

You are both assuming this sentence: "Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere." implies that the drive on NAV feature was planned to be enabled on all highways everywhere which is why it was pulled.

Time will tell, but from the small steps we've seen so far and the history of what Elon says and what actually happens my educated guess tells me that this is going to be somewhat limited in scope and "in beta" for a while (once it finally rolls out) before we are using it "everywhere."

It didn't seem to be limited to "certain" highways, it seemed to specifically be limited to classes of highways (e.g. like the ones that AP2 in v8.1 allows auto lane changes on). After all, our friends in the Netherlands were able to turn on the feature and demonstrate it with older maps.

I think as much as it pains me, they probably make the right decision. Their choices are basically:

(1) Require human confirmation (which they tried). But still, posting a picture of your Tesla telling you to change into a gore lane or onto a shoulder is not good PR and it's the kind of thing that instills public fear in ADAS systems. Furthermore, supervising lane changes around offramps/exits can be tricky. There's many things that you're responsible for monitoring and the margin of error can be slim.
(2) Disable except on certain whitelisted highways where they know it works. That presumably means in Tesla's Californian back yard, and that is surely going to tick off a lot of customers and undermine Elon's claim that they are not gaming the system with extra-detailed HD maps.
(3) Disable for the general population but keep tweaking it using their doubled Early Access population.

Reactions: hobbes and Shateam
So... any interest in actual step by step instructions with pictures? (binary supply secured too of course!) Are you guy really planning to make those blacklists overflow? ;)

Very interested in step by step instructions. If you want I can also provide the pics when I execute your instructions so I can create a guide for others. I already have the binary.

We'll concentrate on the ap2 cars:

http://www.freedomev.com:80/develop-2018.39.2.1-13-cbbcef4da9.img - the MCU1 binary. (MCU2 TBD)

Take the side panel on the right hand side out, disconnect white round connector cable from autopilot unit and plug into that cable yourself (it's ethernet in disguise) using a ready made cable or a pinout like this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/20140222_164339-jpg.44438/ (alternative - buy diag unlock token for your vin on the dark internet, sorry, no pointers, that would save you the trouble of taking the right side panel out - connect to the cable under the CID then).

give yourself ip 192.168.90.103 and connect to 192.168.90.100 port 25956 (use telnet)

at the prompt enter: "install http://someserver:someport/path/firmware.bin" - obviously replace the server/port and path to correct values on a server you control (always use the port even if it's 80 - e.g. use the url above or get your own server), then wait until transmission is done (monitor the transfer on the server side, the "this file is not served" error you would see is a distraction, ignore it) and quickly reconnect the white connector back at the autopilot. Wait until the yellow clock icon appears. Initiate install at your convenience.

pictures TBD.

If drive on nav was limited to certain highways, how is it that it was working in the foreign country highway shown in many of the videos? They have limited its deployment to USA only, would they bother to include foreign highways in the early builds?

More details on self installs would be appreciated. :)

I guess we'll see, but it was my impression those were the folks who hacked the car to enable the feature.

Pictures:

IMG_20181005_124120.jpg

Side panel to remove

it's held by clips, just use appropriate prying tool
IMG_20181005_124141.jpg

inside you'll see the write round connector - that's the one you need:
IMG_20181005_124231.jpg

to disconnext it you need to have small hands (or take the glove box out - a lot more work). press the tab at the top to make it release.

We are all guessing... from the few videos we've seen "drive on Nav" was limited to only certain highways. If it worked well in those limited areas then why pull the feature? At least give it to us with confirmation on the ideal highways, right?

You are both assuming this sentence: "Extremely difficult to achieve a general solution for self-driving that works well everywhere." implies that the drive on NAV feature was planned to be enabled on all highways everywhere which is why it was pulled.

Time will tell, but from the small steps we've seen so far and the history of what Elon says and what actually happens my educated guess tells me that this is going to be somewhat limited in scope and "in beta" for a while (once it finally rolls out) before we are using it "everywhere."

what's this limited areas you mention? every video i've seen, the functionality worked on highway (i.e. as designed and not limited). if road has 90 degree turns, that road is not a high way. bottom line, all highways appeared to work with DON without limitations beyond known limitation EAP already had.

Human depth perception is completely gone at 30 feet. That's less than 1/3 of a second at 70 MPH. You don't use depth perception to drive a car. Humans use depth perception for fine tasks at close distances.
I have an eye condition where one eye is super blurry without contacts.
In the 1980s when contacts were not that great, I drove for 5 years with vision in just one eye.
When I was standing still, I had no clue how far things were from me, even a foot away.
But, when I was moving my brain was able to compensate and I could judge distance without a problem. Have no idea how it did that, but it surely worked very well were I felt comfortable and never crashed.
With 36.2 in my Model S the cars adjacent to me show up in rough distance from me relative to the lead car. It is kind of crud but the system is able to judge distance to vehicles around you.

what's this limited areas you mention? every video i've seen, the functionality worked on highway (i.e. as designed and not limited). if road has 90 degree turns, that road is not a high way. bottom line, all highways appeared to work with DON without limitations beyond known limitation EAP already had.

Well and I think that makes it "a few weeks" away as opposed to maybe next year. I agree, the videos show it working 99% of the time, which is awesome and speaks greatly of the AP team's work. But it only takes something horrible happening 0.1% of the time, multiplied by 100k cars, to be really bad news.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
But it only takes something horrible happening 0.1% of the time, multiplied by 100k cars, to be really bad news.

What kind of horrible thing can happen from suggesting a lane change?
Reports are they are actually changing the underlying AP algorithms quite a bit in V9. Again. These are the things that actually lead to crashes. Yet the thing they are holding back is suggesting when to change lanes. That tells me the suggestions were often embarrassing to a casual user and exposed that it wasn't all that mature.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad