Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's when you're starting to get indications that maybe the whole UI is poorly designed (Mystery meat navigation).
My pet peeve used to be lack of confirmation (eg. just flash the button) on selection. This should be mandatory for all UI design (lack of it has been made much worse with internet-based and multi-tasking system lag).

I'll agree that climate in the V9 update is non-intuitive and "oversimplified". This approach might work for an iPhone that you'll be living with, but c'mon, these cars are in use as daily rentals. There are far too many hidden ways to do things now, why hide basic functionality for human user comfort ? Those should be the biggest LEGO style buttons in the whole system.

Umm so this is weird... I checked my router to see 6 GIG of data downloaded by the Model S a couple of days ago (Thurs early AM ?) did not receive any notifications, so decided to visit the car in person today and UPDATE AVAILABLE. Re-checked my phone, no notice. I don't remember that happening before...

Also.. I'm another AP1 went directly from 2018.32 to V9.

That's when you're starting to get indications that maybe the whole UI is poorly designed (Mystery meat navigation).

Owner of a 2018 Model S 75D here.

I agree with many others that the vast majority of the v9 updates are a step in the right direction, however, after using v9 for the past several days I am starting to see (sadly) some shortcomings regarding the actual layout of apps and poor user interface styling choices in general.

I realize some of my feedback is very subjective, and the fact that I am a graphic designer by trade may affect my viewpoints vs. what others may or may not notice, like, or agree with. So, for what it's worth, overall, I am disappointed in the way the user interface as a whole seems to be 'evolving'.

Granted, previous versions were not perfect by any means, but many areas were much closer to the styling cues that I feel best represent the Tesla brand and the sophistication that should come along with that.

I am unimpressed with the current design trends (Tesla, or otherwise) that use the horrid soft-thick-outlines and playful rounded-corner iconography that is showing up nearly across the board these days - almost in a way that tries to show how 'cool' and 'on-trend' we are with our 'whimsical' 'simplified' UX design.

To me, Tesla really shines when it is setting trends, not following them, and this recent release sadly tells me that their UX is not headed in that direction.

I (selfishly?) want my car to feel like I just stepped into the future, when I approach it, when I open the door, when I sit inside, and ESPECIALLY when I access the user interface, touchpoints, navigation, etc. The new changes to the icons and graphical touches are a very real distraction to me and I cringe whenever I have to access a new screen or new icon to make the car I love do the things I love it to do.

I also realize that this new update is trying to bring my Model S interface more inline with the stylings presented in the Model 3, but I don't think the Model S center screen translates well with how the Model 3 center screen is laid out and meant to function?

One of my biggest concerns when I saw the Model 3 interface - and how it has the 'always on' map navigation - was that they would force that on the Model S/X interface as well - and yep, they did. In just a few short days I am already missing the two-app customization of my center screen and I absolutely hate having the nav/map on, prominently, all the time (don't even get me started about how I am now forced to see distracting slivers of the underlying map along the edges of whatever lower app I have open). I rarely use (or need) the map visible when I'm driving around in my local areas (which is basically 75% of my driving). I'd much prefer Tesla give us the option to have this on all the time or not at all, or the option to replace the map with another app, or apps that I use more widely. The two-app interchangeable option was brilliant and now that it's gone I'm having some serious withdrawals.

I could go on and on with nit-picky things like this, but I am well aware that this rant is far too long. If you've read this far I applaud you, and maybe if you have, you are feeling some of the same frustrations as me?

So, my dear Tesla, please please please, bring back sophistication and class to the user interface, bring back coordinated consistency to the icons and apps, and bring back the two-app options and ability to hide the map (when we don't need it) from our big ass, bad ass, center screens!

Sincerely,

A concerned life-long citizen of Teslaville

Seriously. I find the camera so positively distracting I never imagined so many people used it all the time.

Having the rear camera on while driving makes me nauseated. But I do need it to make sure I'm parked far enough forward in my garage, especially in the MX. Why hang a tennis ball from the ceiling when the rear camera does the job?

My preferred driving layout is the map on top and the energy screen on the bottom. Can I still do that in V9?

Reactions: outdoors and iboy
Someone said a ranger said he had to upgrade to 36.2 first. Then on TeslaFi only 36.2 cars are being upgraded to 39.5. So the rumor may be true. Hope not but they updated more cars to 36.2 then 39.5 today.

Not true:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 3.43.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 3.43.57 PM.png
    150.8 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: outdoors
Having the rear camera on while driving makes me nauseated. But I do need it to make sure I'm parked far enough forward in my garage, especially in the MX. Why hang a tennis ball from the ceiling when the rear camera does the job?

My preferred driving layout is the map on top and the energy screen on the bottom. Can I still do that in V9?

Why not just use the ultrasonics/heat map in the IC? The distance is pretty accurate for walls... I've learned through trial and error that 18" from the front bumper to the wall of my garage puts my car exactly where I want it front to back.

I continue to be amazed by Version 9.0!!!

Version 9.0 was able to successfully navigate this ridiculous uphill hairpin curve that I drive daily. It has never come close to making it through this without going on to the opposite side of the street and freaking out.

Absolutely Amazing !!!!!!

Tesla Version Autopilot 9.0 Hairpin Curve

Hi All,

With more cameras active, it does give a better representation of the surrounding cars.
It's becoming better knowing when someone is lurking in your blind spot.
This was taken at a stoplight.

Shawn

Hi there,

Is every Tesla car supposed to get the software update all at once or every car would get the update whatever is available to it? I haven't got any update as far and today is the 7th.

Thanks
Manny

Why not just use the ultrasonics/heat map in the IC? The distance is pretty accurate for walls... I've learned through trial and error that 18" from the front bumper to the wall of my garage puts my car exactly where I want it front to back.

Because its not a flat wall in front. Its a combination of stuff combined with stairs. There is a lip that would stop the tires but with my old S I was concerned about the clearance. Not really a concern with the X now but I think it could still hit something. I'm also more paranoid about the garage door closing behind me than what's in front of me. I use the beeps to judge whats in front of me and am comforted by seeing that their is enough room for the trunk to open with the garage door closed.

• Informative
Reactions: 10dot
Because its not a flat wall in front. Its a combination of stuff combined with stairs. There is a lip that would stop the tires but with my old S I was concerned about the clearance. Not really a concern with the X now but I think it could still hit something. I'm also more paranoid about the garage door closing behind me than what's in front of me. I use the beeps to judge whats in front of me and am comforted by seeing that their is enough room for the trunk to open with the garage door closed.

Fair enough. I was just curious if you'd had a bad experience trusting the ultrasonics or something else I should be concerned about :)

It seems that there are a lot of worthwhile improvements in V9, but one overwhelming disadvantage - the navigation screen will take up the top portion of the touchscreen whether you want it there or you don't want it at all. A long as that stays true I will not be installing any new downgrade versions, the new features may bee 'cool' but they are not worth the loss of flexibility.

I feel like we need a new whine and cheese thread for all the “why can’t I put my camera on top” posts. Valid as this opinion may be, it seems like it is every 3rd or 4th post. Lol

I wonder what the map people would be posting if the situation were reversed, and the rear-view camera was always displayed and the map could only be shown as an overly at the bottom of the touchscreen?