Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HATE 9.0!!! Please let me downgrade back to version 8!!!

My first Tesla Model S was a 2015 P85D that I had for 3 years and now I have a 2018 P100D that I just got in July. I just finished a 6400 mile 14 day trip in my P100D from NJ to US National Parks including Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and Grand Teton plus many others. What a great trip!!! The Model S is the best driving car in the world!!!

I hate the changes to the center console most specifically the inability to close Navigation. Typically, I kept the Rear Camera on the top half of the screen even most of the time when going somewhere I didn't know where I was going. Now, why am I so upset. Well, I kept the rear camera on the top half of the console for several important reasons:
  1. ***The rearview mirror has limited field of view.***
  2. Having the rear camera view on the lower half of the screen does not allow easy viewing not even my peripheral vision can see it.
  3. The rear camera allows me to see when I have cleared cars in adjacent lanes so that I can change lanes safely. Side view and rear view mirrors do not allow for that level of safety and neither does the AI.
  4. To have the best safety when driving we need to have the easiest way to view 360 degrees directly. Yes, AI helps but direct vision is the best.
  5. When the rear camera is on, when in reverse it does not move into the reverse mode that happens when the rear camera is not active on the center console.
  6. When I pull into my garage I need to confirm that I have come in the proper amount so that I don't hit my workbench in front or that the garage door will clear the rear bumper. BTW when Summon first came out the P85D's rear bumper was damaged because the car did not pull in correctly.
I understand and believe that others love the way the center console now functions but to force others to do it this way as the only way is wrong! Give me back Version 8 or correct the problem ASAP! Please!!!

My first Tesla Model S was a 2015 P85D that I had for 3 years and now I have a 2018 P100D that I just got in July. I just finished a 6400 mile 14 day trip in my P100D from NJ to US National Parks including Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and Grand Teton plus many others. What a great trip!!! The Model S is the best driving car in the world!!!

I hate the changes to the center console most specifically the inability to close Navigation. Typically, I kept the Rear Camera on the top half of the screen even most of the time when going somewhere I didn't know where I was going. Now, why am I so upset. Well, I kept the rear camera on the top half of the console for several important reasons:
  2. Having the rear camera view on the lower half of the screen does not allow easy viewing not even my peripheral vision can see it.
  3. The rear camera allows me to see when I have cleared cars in adjacent lanes so that I can change lanes safely. Side view and rear view mirrors do not allow for that level of safety and neither does the AI.
  4. To have the best safety when driving we need to have the easiest way to view 360 degrees directly. Yes, AI helps but direct vision is the best.
  5. When the rear camera is on, when in reverse it does not move into the reverse mode that happens when the rear camera is not active on the center console.
  6. When I pull into my garage I need to confirm that I have come in the proper amount so that I don't hit my workbench in front or that the garage door will clear the rear bumper. BTW when Summon first came out the P85D's rear bumper was damaged because the car did not pull in correctly.
I understand and believe that others love the way the center console now functions but to force others to do it this way as the only way is wrong! Give me back Version 8 or correct the problem ASAP! Please!!!

Sign the Petition

agree 100 % and you are the type of customer Tesla should be listening to on your second $$$ Tesla Sign the Petition

The rear camera allows me to see when I have cleared cars in adjacent lanes so that I can change lanes safely.

Sounds to me like you are trying to change lanes in front of someone way too closely.

When the rear camera is on, when in reverse it does not move into the reverse mode that happens when the rear camera is not active on the center console.

This is probably a bug that will get fixed fairly quickly.

Reactions: APotatoGod
We are now in week 42 so a .42 may drop any time now.
The number represents the week of the build, not necessarily the week that they actually start deploying it to everyone. There might be a .42 build eventually...but I doubt we'd actually get it in week 42.

For example, even with a wide release such as the 2017.50.x with the Santa Easter egg, I don't think anyone got it before week 51.

Perhaps some of those in the Early Access Program actually get the version during the same week as the build.

Reactions: croman
I'll add my two cents... normally I am cool with much that Tesla rolls out/updates. 9.0 is a complete debacle at least for my MS. I actually called Tesla support to share my issues after updating. These issues still exist a week and a half later and after rebooting the MCU several times, AND fully shutting the car down/turning back on.

1. 9.0 is so unbelievably slow on my 2015 MS (with an MCU replaced 1yr ago). Certain functions are almost completely unusable due to the lag.
2. LTE went from a fairly consistent 3-4 bars to a consistent 1-0 bars.
3. The web browser does not function. I open it up, and it is just a grey/white blank space with a box for a web-address. If I type something into the web browser it refreshes the blankness with new blankness.
4. The audio controls... It is basically unusable
a. If I select USB audio it seems to have to reload the contents of my USB every time
b. Once it has reloaded the contents, it defaults to favorites. If I touch song list there is about a 28-second lag/response. In that time the MCU is completely frozen, Nav does not update or provide next turn instruction, volume does not respond, I.E. I turn the volume wheel and it jumps from say 4 to 5 and goes back to 4 repeatedly.
c. WHY did they change climate control from an ONE TOUCH on/off to a TWO TOUCH on/off?!
d. Bluetooth now just decides to drop calls randomly while connected.

That's uh, all for now. Not a good situation for this owner when the update actually causes the vehicle to become LESS functional!

Reactions: autarch
Anyone else not able to use phone on bluetooth? Bluetooth work fine to listen to music but since V9 the phone doesnt ring in the car and I cannot speak/listen in the car over Bluetooth. Phone book is visible but nothing happen when I get a call. I have to take my phone and put it on speaker phone everytime... I have a Oneplus 5 phone..

I had a chance to play around with the TeslaCam feature in Version 9.0 a little more today. It definitely has some quirks and shortcomings.
See attached video...

I wanted to test to see if it actually would save the last 10 minutes.

It’s seems to only save the last 10 minutes of the current drive that you are taking.

I took a short drive it without saving any footage, then I got in the car and drove for three minutes and pressed the save button.

It only saved the last 3 minutes.

So my suggestion is you should definitely hit the save button before the car turns off in order to retain the last 10 minutes.

It actually accomplishes this by simply renaming the files recent-from... to saved-from...
It seems to create a corrupt recording when it shuts off.
(Note the two files without thumbnails in the attached image)
View attachment 342299

The one minute video segments are not seamless, there are empty black frames at the beginning of each clip, which creates gaps in time when clips are combined for a continuous timeline. This could render it useless if you were trying to document an incident. (Note the black spaces at ~1:01, 2:02, 2:19, 3:20, 4:21, 5:22,6:23, 7:24, 8:25, 9:26, 10:26, 11:27)
For some reason clips are not always a minute long even in the middle of a multi minute sequence. (Note the 17 second clip starting at 2:02) I’m not sure what causes it to reset. Could just be a brief loss of signal or perhaps it has more to do with some internal file storage system that hands data off to this task.

There also seems to be abrupt changes in exposure (aperture opening and closing) I’m guessing this is to maintain the proper contrast to optimize the system's ability to recognize various objects and lane markings.

Does it matter what you name your USB drive? Just need a folder on the drive names "TeslaCam" right?