Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if these software updates get updated as one software chunk or does it come incrementally? I've noticed a lot of activity on my vehicle, but it's like 7MBs here and 18 there. I'm guessing it should just be like one 500MB or so of data activity.
I'm pretty sure it comes as one big chunk.
My car seems to do 10 or 15MB every few days, no idea what it's sending/receiving. But when I get a new update it's always preceded by a large 500+ download.

Just did a little quick test of the dash cam feature.
It’s somewhat unimpressive.
Files seem to be saved in one minute clips. Quality is mediocre, however license plates can be legible at close range. I just posted this clip.
Here are some screenshots showing QuickTime with file info, file naming conventions and license legibility...

Thanks for posting the video! Interesting.

Compared to HD or 4K dash cams, it looks mediocre at best, yes. And the amount of footage that can be stored sounds more limited than dedicated dash cams - I have a 128GB card in my Blackvue and I can usually get 1.5+ days of footage in my normal driving at a much better resolution).

But...1) this feature is free, 2) it doesn't require additional hardware, the quality seems OK-ish, 3) it will get better and get more features in the future, 4) WAY better than nothing for the many people that simply would not install an aftermarket dash cam, and 5) it's a very unique feature that no other manufacturer is doing (that I am aware of).

So, pretty cool start, I think, despite some limitations.

Edit: Removed erroneous statement about FAT32 volumes being limited to 4GB. I have been corrected on that point.

Last edited:
In the 9.0 announcement it mentions the latest version of the navigation maps.
Anybody know if these are different/newer than the ones that we received in March with the introduction of MCU2?

Discover Software Version 9.0
  • Note: Before this feature can be enabled, the latest version of Navigation maps must be downloaded via WiFi. A message will display on the touchscreen when new maps have been installed.

5B0B4A6E-80CE-4B8C-B02E-F94E6F2E4B2C.jpeg

Compared to HD or 4K dash cams, it looks mediocre at best, yes. And the (current) 4GB limit of FAT32 is restricting (I have a 128GB card in my Blackvue and I can usually get 1.5+ days of footage in my normal driving at a much better resolution).

But...1) this feature is free, 2) it doesn't require additional hardware, the quality seems OK-ish, 3) it will get better and get more features in the future, 4) WAY better than nothing for the many people that simply would not install an aftermarket dash cam, and 5) it's a very unique feature that no other manufacturer is doing (that I am aware of).

How to Format USB Drives Larger Than 32GB With FAT32 on Windows

Compared to HD or 4K dash cams, it looks mediocre at best, yes. And the (current) 4GB limit of FAT32 is restricting (I have a 128GB card in my Blackvue and I can usually get 1.5+ days of footage in my normal driving at a much better resolution).

Agreed,
Wasn’t complaining. Just trying to provide objective observations.
I think it does what it needs to do, provide a record in case of an unforeseen event. Ten minutes back at the push of a button is plenty of time.

The 4GB FAT32 limit is individual file size, not file system size. Any reasonable recording software can split a continuous stream into multiple 4GB files.

Thanks for the correction. What is the volume limit of FAT32? 32GB? Having moved over to Mac a decade ago, I admit my Microsoft knowledge is not what it used to be compared to when I was a MCPS and did Windows programming back in the day ;)

Thanks for the correction. What is the volume limit of FAT32? 32GB? Having moved over to Mac a decade ago, I admit my Microsoft knowledge is not what it used to be compared to when I was a MCPS and did Windows programming back in the day ;)

32GB if formatted in windows. However, plenty of third-party disk utilities can format it beyond the 32GB limit.

that being said, since the car doesn't record while parked and only records while driving, i feel like 32GB is more than enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and jrad6515
Okay - how many of you are refreshing your app every 5 min or going to your car every 10 min? Don't deny it!

I'll admit.

I was checking my WiFi router for downloads to my car every 10 minutes easily. The second I put down the phone, the download happened and I received the notification from the app that the update was available. Sitting in car right now installing!

I'll admit.

I was checking my WiFi router for downloads to my car every 10 minutes easily. The second I put down the phone, the download happened and I received the notification from the app that the update was available. Sitting in car right now installing!

I tried putting down my phone, but nothings happened yet. :p